AnandTech Overview - 09JUL19

bit-tech - 16SEP19

AnandTech - 25OCT19

TheOverClocker - 06NOV19

TechPowerUp - 03DEC19

Dark Hero

TechPowerUp - 06NOV20

Guides, Testing, & Utilities

Ryzen 3000 Memory / Fabric (X370/X470/X570) (Formula Testing)

ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO Testing On Ubuntu 18.04 Linux

Testing 3rd-Gen Ryzen DDR4 Memory Performance and Scaling

VRM on the new AM4 motherboards (All motherboards listed)

Something GIGABYTE, MSI and AMD do not want you to see

[Official] AMD Ryzen DDR4 24/7 Memory Stability Thread

Strictly technical: Matisse (Not really) (Formula Testing)

AMD Ryzen Memory Tweaking & Overclocking Guide

ROG Crosshair VIII (Formula & Hero) LN2 OC Guide

How to use USB BIOS Flashback & BIOSRenamer

AMD Ryzen 3000 – Part IV – DDR4 Scaling

AMD Ryzen 3000 investigated

DRAM Calculator for Ryzen

DDR4 Overclocking Guide

AMD CPU Stock Tracker

Karhu RAM Test

HWiNFO Utility

Ryzen Master

Prime95

Miscellaneous

Is your Bus Clock/Speed/FSB ~99.8 MHz? Disable SB Clock Spread Spectrum under Extreme Tweaker\Tweaker's Paradise and set BCLK to Auto.

Looking for Mem TweakIt v2.02.44 and/or TurboV Core v1.02.02?

Are you in to gaming and like memory performance? Check these out.

Warning! Check spoiler for new motherboard owners or fresh Windows installs:
If you installed Windows with the original BIOS without updating first, Windows files could get corrupted due to Windows Hardware Errors (WHEA). Please update your BIOS, if you haven't already. To check for errors, run the following commands in a command prompt as an administrator:

sfc /scannow

If corruption is found, run the following command:

dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Rerun the sfc /scannow command

Please make sure your BIOS is up to date before installing Windows. :thumb:

See less See more
#12,910 · (Edited)
I came back to this forum after a while, and wanted to ask you guys since I have a 5900x 2 year old with a CH8 Dark Hero, which I think degraded a bit over time and it took me a long time to set up a good V/F curve. , the processor barely managed 4600x in multicore score, however over time I had to increase the offset with more positive values, eg from -30 to -28 or -24 in the best core to -20... in the end I ended up using Ryzen Master I don't know what he did, but I got a stable configuration. Currently I have BIOS version 4201 and I was reading about enabling X2APIC and about the new version 4304. Any recommendations on performance and stability? I have a 4090 and I use it only for gaming with Win10. I thought about upgrading to the new generation but I don't see much point in it since the CPU is little involved in games. These are my current results and also I'm attaching the BIOS config. Your comments are appreciated!

Font Screenshot Software Technology Electronic device

Attachments

#12,912 ·
I came back to this forum after a while, and wanted to ask you guys since I have a 5900x 2 year old with a CH8 Dark Hero, which I think degraded a bit over time and it took me a long time to set up a good V/F curve. , the processor barely managed 4600x in multicore score, however over time I had to increase the offset with more positive values, eg from -30 to -28 or -24 in the best core to -20... in the end I ended up using Ryzen Master I don't know what he did, but I got a stable configuration. Currently I have BIOS version 4201 and I was reading about enabling X2APIC and about the new version 4304. Any recommendations on performance and stability? I have a 4090 and I use it only for gaming with Win10. I thought about upgrading to the new generation but I don't see much point in it since the CPU is little involved in games. These are my current results and also I'm attaching the BIOS config. Your comments are appreciated!

View attachment 2594701

I've been running my 5950X / Dark Hero combo (bios 3801) for just under two years. I always kept an eye on max voltages (single core max 1.464 V, all-core max 1.18 V) but overall, no degradation or decline in performance whatsoever that I have noticed; still using the same CO settings as used before / below. Also: Windows 10 Pro instead of the former 11 Pro (might explain some of the issue you described).
Property Product Table Font Chair

#12,924 ·
@Kelutrel Hi, where did you find the IOMMU setting?

#12,927 ·
For those that updated from 4201 to 4304 did it make settings saved to a USB stick unusable after? About to update in the next day or two and just want to know what I'm in for. Something with 4201 (I think the Agesa update and 4304 has one as well) caused the system to decide it now had a new CPU and wouldn't allow me to use saved settings that were backed up to a USB stick in the BIOS so I had to not only redo those but also redo cooling curves. That was just an update from the previous one right before 4201 as well. Thankfully in Windows I use Fan Xpert and even though that gets reset as well, you can copy a backup into the folder again and those work.

Anyway, like I said just trying to plan ahead so I don't get caught off guard again and make sure I have time to actually fix things up after if needed.

#12,937 ·
For those that updated from 4201 to 4304 did it make settings saved to a USB stick unusable after? About to update in the next day or two and just want to know what I'm in for. Something with 4201 (I think the Agesa update and 4304 has one as well) caused the system to decide it now had a new CPU and wouldn't allow me to use saved settings that were backed up to a USB stick in the BIOS so I had to not only redo those but also redo cooling curves. That was just an update from the previous one right before 4201 as well. Thankfully in Windows I use Fan Xpert and even though that gets reset as well, you can copy a backup into the folder again and those work.

Anyway, like I said just trying to plan ahead so I don't get caught off guard again and make sure I have time to actually fix things up after if needed.
Save your settings as a .txt file onto a USB stick, and then use this information to reinput all of your settings manually after a BIOS update.

Personally, I don't trust using saved profiles across BIOS versions. It can really mess up your settings. Sometimes it's fine.

Pro-tip, put the .txt file onto your phone or upload it to Google Drive, and then you can open it and read it on your phone whilst your PC is in the BIOS.

#12,928 ·
Guys! can I get a hand figuring this out.

I have Crosshair VIII Hero Dark, 5950X. First NVMe on first M.2_1 slot which takes lanes from CPU then second NVMe in M.2_2 slot that gets the lanes from chipset then I have 1 SATA SSD and 3090 Strix.

In this configuration everything works as it should as far is speed goes and 3090 runs @16,, but I needed to add another NVMe so I got PCIe adapter and used the second PCIEX16_2 for that, but now my GPU run @8.

From my understanding 5950X has 24 lanes in which 4 is used to connect to cpu so 16 will be for GPU and 4 for my first NVMe. Now! x570 gets 16 lanes, so my second NVMe uses 4, Wi-Fi adapter 4 lanes and sata SSD 4 that leaves me with 4 lanes.

I was trying to figure how to change PCIe_2 to use only 4 lanes, unless it uses 4 automatically, also in the Bios it shows it runs @8 which NVMe only need 4 and maybe that's why my GPU runs @8 I don't know.

I was trying to find in BIOS anything that I could change, but the only thing I so was PCIe_1 PCIe_2 speeds GEN 1-2-3-4, but changing that only slows down NVMe that is in the second slot.
Does anyone have explanation for that please and thanks.

#12,932 ·
Hi,

I have been on the forums here for quite a while, but haven't posted much. I am in need of some advice/help with my current setup. Background. I had to purchase most of my stepup during the 2019-2020 years. My old board died Asus Rampage IV Black Edition. I purchased an Asus Crosshair VIII Formula, a AM4 3900x cpu, and 64 gb of Gskill ram. Recently, I purchased a XFX 7900xtx 24 gb card. My next purchase will be either a 5800x3d or a 5900x .... still debating which. I will not be updating to the AM5 computer parts. I'll most likely skip AM5 and wait to either AM6 or 7 comes out. I want to get the most bang for my buck on the AM4 system. :) So, I am in need of a bios recommendation of either of the 5800x3d chip and/or 5900x for this board. My bios is currently the 3801 (7/30/2021) off of the Asus website.

Also, I have a reporting problem in HWiNF064 on my cpu. I used AMD's Ryzen master to set the 3900x under profile 1 to 4200 and the voltage to 1.20. Everything is running good. But in HWiNF the reporting of the Power Reporting Deviation (accuracy) under the minimum column goes 'red' and it's below 80%. The PRD also goes red in the current column a few times as well. Is there a bios setting that needs to be tweaked in order for the board to have a more corrected reporting of the values?

#12,934 ·
If your primary focus is gaming, go with the x3d. If you do any kind of work that benefits from multi-core performance, go with the 5900x or, even better, a 5950x.

Edit: regarding BIOS, stay on 3801 if you don't end up going with the x3d, otherwise you'll want/need the latest.

#12,933 ·
ROG Crosshair VIII Formula

Overview

Specifications

The Manual

Drivers & Tools

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)

Overview

Specifications

The Manual

Drivers & Tools

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

Overview

Specifications

The Manual

Drivers & Tools

ROG Crosshair VIII Impact

Overview

Specifications

The Manual

Drivers & Tools

ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

View attachment 2464575

Overview

Specifications

The Manual

Drivers & Tools

AMD X570 Drivers & Support

Downloads

Reviews

Formula

bit-tech - 12JUL19

Overclock3D - 20AUG19

Guru 3D - 06SEP19

TweakTown - 11SEP19

Hero & Wi-Fi

TheOverClocker - 07JUL19

eTeknix - 07JUL19

Guru3D - 16JUL19

PCGamesN - 18JUL19

Hexus - 26JUL19

TweakTown - 16AUG19

Tom's Hardware - 30SEP19

TechPowerUp - 04OCT19

Impact

bit-tech - 16SEP19

AnandTech - 25OCT19

TheOverClocker - 06NOV19

TechPowerUp - 03DEC19

Dark Hero

TechPowerUp - 06NOV20

Guides, Testing, & Utilities

ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO Testing On Ubuntu 18.04 Linux

Ryzen 3000 Memory / Fabric (X370/X470/X570) (Formula Testing)

Testing 3rd-Gen Ryzen DDR4 Memory Performance and Scaling

VRM on the new AM4 motherboards (All motherboards listed)

Something GIGABYTE, MSI and AMD do not want you to see

[Official] AMD Ryzen DDR4 24/7 Memory Stability Thread

Strictly technical: Matisse (Not really) (Formula Testing)

AMD Ryzen Memory Tweaking & Overclocking Guide

ROG Crosshair VIII (Formula & Hero) LN2 OC Guide

How to use USB BIOS Flashback & BIOSRenamer

AMD Ryzen 3000 – Part IV – DDR4 Scaling

AMD Ryzen 3000 investigated

DRAM Calculator for Ryzen

DDR4 Overclocking Guide

AMD CPU Stock Tracker

Karhu RAM Test

HWiNFO Utility

Ryzen Master

Prime95

Miscellaneous

Is your Bus Clock/Speed/FSB ~99.8 MHz? Disable SB Clock Spread Spectrum under Extreme Tweaker\Tweaker's Paradise and set BCLK to Auto.

Looking for Mem TweakIt v2.02.44 and/or TurboV Core v1.02.02?

Are you in to gaming and like memory performance? Check these out.

Warning! Check spoiler for new motherboard owners or fresh Windows installs:
If you installed Windows with the original BIOS without updating first, windows files could be corrupt due to Windows Hardware Errors (WHEA). Please update your BIOS, if you haven't already. Run the following commands in a command prompt as an administrator:

sfc /scannow

If corruption is found, run the following command:

dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Rerun the sfc /scannow command

Please make sure your BIOS is up to date before installing Windows. :thumb:
I have the Dark Hero version of this motherboard paired with a Ryzen 9 5900x.

I have is mainly set on auto overclocking which gives me a 13% Overclock flash on start-up screen.

I would love some suggestions on how to get more out of this board. Please help with your suggestions. I also have a 240 AIO paired with this for cooling.

#12,936 ·
Hi,

Got into taking apart my rig tonight and came across an interesting situation with my Asus ch 8 formula board. I don‘t know how to get to the screw by the ram. It is located down to the left of the 4 ram sticks under the heatsink. I think that the heat sink is mounted from the back. On the last time that I mounted the board I thought that I only mounted the board with the 8 screws on the edges of the board. I cannot find anything on the net on how to remove the heatsink from the front side of the formula board. Any suggestions? I checked the backside of my Corsair D1000 case to see if the motherboard was hung up. I did see the mounting post between the board and the mounting side of the case. This is a bit of a mystery to me.

#12,940 ·
I have been using these options on my system for many weeks now, and can report no real differences, just maybe the system is slightly more responsive. The system is also no less stable than before. But you do have to clean install if you're going to make the switch.

#12,941 ·
Morning peeps,

New BIOS released:

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO(WI-FI) BIOS 4402
Versión 4402
20.8 MB 2023/02/08
"1. Update AGESA version to ComboV2PI 1208
2. Mitigate the AMD potential security vulnerabilities for AMD Athlon™ processors and Ryzen™ processors
3. Improve system stability

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (C8HW.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

#12,943 ·
So far the new Bios 4402 runs nice. As always Asus never really specify what exactly system improvements they made, but it seems to make my system snappier.

#12,949 ·
For what it's worth, I have the original downloaded .zip files from the Asus website for nearly all of the BIOS from 2601 onwards, as well as some of the early releases by Safedisk here on OCN. I think there was a beta 31xx that I'm missing. If people want / need certain versions I can try to upload them somewhere?

For the CH8 Dark Hero have;
3703 Beta
3901 early release by Safedisk
4002 Beta
4005 early beta release by Safedisk
4201 early beta release by Safedisk
4303 early beta release by Safedisk

#12,950 ·
#12,955 ·
BIOS 4402 is stable with Linux
Don't get the MIPS of previous version 4201 using advertised timings.
Still work in progress, only tight timings are bringing back DRAM performance, but a bit lower.

7-zip 17.4 benchmark Total MIPS
  • BIOS 4201: 119806
  • BIOS 4402: 119001
Font Line Computer Screenshot Slope

#12,959 · (Edited)
BIOS 4402 is stable with Linux
Don't get the MIPS of previous version 4201 using advertised timings.
Still work in progress, only tight timings are bringing back DRAM performance, but a bit lower.

7-zip 17.4 benchmark Total MIPS
  • BIOS 4201: 119806
  • BIOS 4402: 119001
View attachment 2599297
* Using Geekbench 5.4.5 on Linux 6.1.12 , results are best with CPPC disabled

BIOSv4201v4402v4402
CPPC:OFF
Single-Core Score
1479​
1443​
1492​
😏​
Multi-Core Score
17256​
17298​
17351​
😃​

#12,957 ·
Me too, but I can't imagine ASUS will release many more updates for this platform, probably only if AMD release new AGESA's.

#12,964 ·
Good evening from Greece, I would like to ask the community if the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme X570 would help the 5800x3D to achieve higher frequencies than I get with the Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming with BCLK at 104 (4.650GHz) or is it not worth the effort and just set up an AM5 system? Is it possible to reach 4,800 or above?

#12,968 ·
Reassurance from ASUS that the EK Crosschill III block on the CH8F is in fact made of copper, unlike the one on the Z690 Maximus board:
Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support.
My name is Paul P.. First and foremost, thank you for your patience while we completed our review and research of this issue. We apologize for the delay, and are grateful for the opportunity to continue to assist you.
This is just the update on your escalation case regarding to the material used for VRM waterblock on your ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA. The material used is copper material for VRM waterblock.
Please keep in mind that we are available for any future questions or concerns, so please reach out to our technical support team here: Chat with Us . This will allow us to gather more details on the description of the issue you are experiencing directly, especially on more complex and targeted situations.
Your case number for your future reference: XXXXXXXXXXX-XXXX. You are more than welcome to visit our Asus support website: Official Support | ASUS USA
We are here to help! We hope you stay healthy and get through this time safely!
Best regards,
Paul P.
ASUS Product Support
Chat with Us if you need further support.
Help make us better! Let us know what we can do to improve by clicking here.

#12,969 ·
I'm noticing stutter in VirtualBox since updating to 4402. Can't say for sure that it was the BIOS update yet, anyone else?

#12,970 ·
I updated my CX-8 Dark Hero to BIOS 4402 a few days ago. I recently tried to boot into the BIOS to make a quick change and discovered that hitting Delete and/or F2 does nothing. I tried several times. I finally had to resort to going into Windows – Settings – Update and Security – Recovery – Advanced Startup, then boot into Recovery Mode – Troubleshoot – Advanced Options – Boot to UEFI BIOS. Once I was in the BIOS, I disabled Fast Boot but it didn't make any difference. Has anyone else noticed this?

#12,978 ·
3801 is also missing negative boost limits which is a huge setting for overall performance on the 5950X.

#12,985 ·
...good point, but I don't really know what the problem is...below is my 3950X Win 11 Pro 'daily driver workhorse' on 3801 (TPM and all). The 5950X / DarkH physically next to it, also has bios 3801 but better RAM. It too ran w/o any issues on Win 11 Pro, but I reverted that back to Win 10 Pro due to other reasons (I prefer Win 10 Pro for gaming)
Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Technology