Overclock.net banner

3121 - 3140 of 3267 Posts

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,121 (Edited)
@elmor

Ahh cool, I maybe suffering from bad internal brain memory training that did not recall the menu being in other UEFIs :D, many thanks for PDF and +rep :) .

So far RT on same RAM setup as previous UEFIs with AGESA to allow 3400MHz without BCLK tweak is non issue for me.

1x full post test run

1x warm post test run

Currently on a RB run, then will fire up P95, Y-Cruncher and some [email protected]/bionic :) .

*** edit ***

Room ambient 23C, RB 29 of 60min, RB 59 0f 60min and final PASS screenie.

Done 2x PWM checks, one was between RT runs and another after RB, no issues.

3x AIDA64 (Set to NUMA in UEFI)

Base profile & 3400MHz settings txt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Glad a new UEFI made its way to the users!

But I'm sure that after the update the saved uefi profiles won't work anymore and therefore will have to configure all over again... :-(
If the ASUS guys find a way to overcome that, that'll be awesome!

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Glad a new UEFI made its way to the users!

But I'm sure that after the update the saved uefi profiles won't work anymore and therefore will have to configure all over again... :-(
If the ASUS guys find a way to overcome that, that'll be awesome!

I believe profiles work across flashes now, if saved on a USB drive. Can't remember if it has been added to ZE yet, feel free to try. You can always go back and re-load the profile from your drive if it doesn't work on the new version.

·
Not a bug, but a feature
113 Posts
@elmor

I have a LiqTech II rgb whatever CPU cooler. I was wondering, in your opinion, should I run my cpu at 3.9 all core or let amd do it's thing? I compile openwrt and do dev on arch linux (I use arch btw) but also dual boot windows for gaming. I have the 1950x. Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe profiles work across flashes now, if saved on a USB drive. Can't remember if it has been added to ZE yet, feel free to try. You can always go back and re-load the profile from your drive if it doesn't work on the new version.
cannot load saved 1601.cmo
it just says file corrupted, have to reenter all values base on setting.txt :(
there is no reloading of profile either, after flashing from 1601->1701, all profiles are gone, same as previous bios updates. I have never been able to reload profiles / load cmo.

·
BOINC Cruncher
903 Posts
I would think it depends on how many threads you spin while compiling. I find that for distributed computing where I tend to keep all threads active, I find that just setting a multiplier and engaging PBO gets me better across the board clocks on all cores than just setting Auto and letting XFR2 and PBO run. I see higher clocks on some cores that way, but the other cores which are also engaged are running at reduced clocks compared to my fixed multiplier. That is how I run the Ryzens.

For the TR 2920X, I just set it on Auto with PBO and I manage to keep every core above 4.1Ghz on average. Cores that are feeding gpus drop temporarily to 2200Mhz when the task leaves the gpu and before the next one starts which ramps back up to 4.1Ghz. Some cores occasionally wander into 4.2 or 4.3 Ghz territory briefly.

Try both ways and see which lets you compile the fastest.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
cannot load saved 1601.cmo
it just says file corrupted, have to reenter all values base on setting.txt :(
there is no reloading of profile either, after flashing from 1601->1701, all profiles are gone, same as previous bios updates. I have never been able to reload profiles / load cmo.

That's too bad. Possibly "Update ASUS user profile module" means that this feature was added in the 1701 release which would mean that it would work to re-load profiles starting from that version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I updated to bios 1701...previous profiles were wiped out.
Then I loaded the built-in 4.0 ghz profile, temp sensors are still abnormal (<10c) unless I disable the MI Skew

Have to say I am disappointed with this. Not sure what I can believe with temps now.

·
Not a bug, but a feature
113 Posts
I updated to bios 1701...previous profiles were wiped out.
Then I loaded the built-in 4.0 ghz profile, temp sensors are still abnormal (<10c) unless I disable the MI Skew

Have to say I am disappointed with this. Not sure what I can believe with temps now.
This is intentional... AMD is using XFR which benefits from low temps to drive up the frequency, hence why you get inaccurate temps :thumb:

The solution seems to be pretty clear. Turn off MI Skew (I would also set a manual multiplier [3.9Ghz on all cores in my case]) to get the correct readings. :specool:

·
Not a bug, but a feature
113 Posts
@elmor

Can you comment on my specific situation:
Chose to set everything auto as i upgraded from your 1601 to 1701. Changed a few non-vital options (LED, boot order, etc). Booted windows and was literally just unzipping a 7zip when the pc locked up and rebooted????

Went into the option and set my previous settings
[39 multiplier]
[disabled all the spread+ enhancements]
[DOCP 14-14-14-34]
[CPU core 1.35V]
[CPU SOC 1.1125]
[went to digi+ and upped the current % from 100% ->140%]
[tweaker's paradise: turned off MI Skew]

booted back into windows and unzipped again...no lock up and everything is relatively normal.

Why would auto lead to such a bad case vs manual?

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is intentional... AMD is using XFR which benefits from low temps to drive up the frequency, hence why you get inaccurate temps :thumb:

The solution seems to be pretty clear. Turn off MI Skew (I would also set a manual multiplier [3.9Ghz on all cores in my case]) to get the correct readings. :specool:
Yeah it makes sense, but not intuitive at all unless you go digging for answers. I set the multiplier as well, so far have p95 tested up to 41. I noticed if set to auto there are some crazy voltage spikes.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
@elmor

I have a LiqTech II rgb whatever CPU cooler. I was wondering, in your opinion, should I run my cpu at 3.9 all core or let amd do it's thing? I compile openwrt and do dev on arch linux (I use arch btw) but also dual boot windows for gaming. I have the 1950x. Thanks!
@elmor

Can you comment on my specific situation:
Chose to set everything auto as i upgraded from your 1601 to 1701. Changed a few non-vital options (LED, boot order, etc). Booted windows and was literally just unzipping a 7zip when the pc locked up and rebooted????

Went into the option and set my previous settings
[39 multiplier]
[disabled all the spread+ enhancements]
[DOCP 14-14-14-34]
[CPU core 1.35V]
[CPU SOC 1.1125]
[went to digi+ and upped the current % from 100% ->140%]
[tweaker's paradise: turned off MI Skew]

booted back into windows and unzipped again...no lock up and everything is relatively normal.

Why would auto lead to such a bad case vs manual?

You'll have to test setting by setting to see what caused the lock-up, I don't know what was changed in the latest BIOS releases. If your loads are primarily single or few-threaded, stick with defaults + XFR. If they're heavily multi-threaded go for the 3.9 GHz all-core setting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
lol updated new bios , wmi work good except water flow sensor...

Attachments

·
BOINC Cruncher
903 Posts
I assume that should be l/hr instead of minutes? Does Windows allow scaling of inputs like Linux?

·
BOINC Cruncher
903 Posts
FYI - The asus-wmi-sensors driver works on ZE now with BIOS 1607

Just a FYI. I helped another user get the asus-wmi-sensors kernel mode driver working on the ROG Zenith Extreme motherboard in Linux. So the web page for the driver on Github saying it is not compatible or tested with the ZE is outdated and incorrect now. Tested with BIOS 1607.

https://github.com/electrified/asus-wmi-sensors

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,136
Spotted this on ZE support page today.

Not yet checked UEFI, etc to see what extra functionality there is.

Also the ZEA landed from ASUS a day or so ago :D .

Thank you team ASUS :thumb: .

Will have new thread up as soon as have gained some data points I wanna compare between each board.

·
Not a bug, but a feature
113 Posts
@gupsterg

Same! Called Amazon and they agreed to refund me for the ZE since I've still had stability issues. I then bought the ZEA! Can't test right now as the 1950X still being RMA'd

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, just got word back from Caseking in Germany and my ZE is on the way back "Repaired"? Yep, scared the **** outta me also. So I give them a ring and they said that evidently there were some bent or dirty pins on the socket keeping DIMM slot C1 from posting. Suppossedly they, (ASUS), checked it out and everthing is ok now... We will soon see. I really do like the ZEA, but I want to utilize both MSI RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z's which not only don't really fit together on the ZEA, but also don't work for **** with the current initial 0207 BIOS at all, (mucho stuttering in 3D programs and games). I will report back when I get it back in. Another thing I will miss about the ZEA is the EXT FAN card and 10G Network card onboard. The EXT FAN card is so much nicer than the ZE, and the PCIE 10G add in card won't fit with the 2 Lightnings, but the NVLink is more important to me than the other two atm. I will keep the ZEA just in case because it is a great board in everything but the 3-Slot SLI/NVLink cards.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have been testing AZE Alpha since some time now. I'm very disapointed:

- There is some serious memory issues on that i can confirm that. Board does not work with 3600 speeds at all. It basically does not boot. on my STRIX X399 same 4 DIMM (32 gig only) kit work flawless on STRIX X399. This must be mobo related issues. Some people reports it does not work even on 3200.

- VRM fans bugs are all over the place. VRM fans behaves inconsequentially. They seems to be bound to CPU fan speed or something. The go low at startup on Motherboard… then during windows boot they go max speed and then quiet down once AI Suite load back on in widows. Some people reports on forums better behaviour when connecting them to extensions fan headers.
When I turned them off in BIOS (by lowering the cuve) one time the PC did shutdown after the while… I have never notice temperature on VRM going above 45 degree though.

- CPU temperature readings are complete nonsense. On my watercooling i achieved 1 degree temperature on the CPU socket. (while there was 20C in room). That does not happen on STRIX. It looks like there is some difference how temperature is being interpreted.

- W_FLOW header is completely not calibrated. I was able to get 200l/m on my INS-FM14 Coolant Flow Meter which is gives perfect readings on other mobos.

- General issues with on boards headers for fans showing strange readings. Fans behave better when connecting to extension card.

- Hard shutdown when using AI Suite to calibrate VRM/CPU/PUMP values.

- Very long posts and memory calibrations (?!?). Sometimes even 2-3 startups. First time i see that on any motherboard.

·
Registered
346 Posts
lol updated new bios , wmi work good except water flow sensor...
I was able to pull 200l/m on my AZE. I think it's even worse there...

I will keep the ZEA just in case because it is a great board in everything but the 3-Slot SLI/NVLink cards.
there are more issues with that mobo... check my post above.

At this stage this board is REAL alpha version of real mobo.

What are BIOS releases plan for AZE ?

3121 - 3140 of 3267 Posts