Overclock.net banner

681 - 700 of 3268 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sorry man, but the likelyhood of the ram just working with xmp at 128gb is very slim. you very likely will need to tune it. also, did you check if all 8 slots were used in the qvl? just because they were listed doesnt mean they
support all 8 slots, sometimes they list 128gb kits but only have 2 or 4 of the slots crossed off.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #682 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

because the Zenith Extreme's QVL lists 128GB of F4-3000C14Q2 Ripjaws as compatible which has the same frequency, timing and voltage as the Trident Z that I ordered

My priority is to eet rated speed out of the box stable with zero tweaking aside from BIOS update. I don't have the know-how or time to learn how to mess around with each setting.

I also thought 3000MHz was marketing lingo for 2933MHz rounded up. I didn't realize they were 2 separate specs.
The QVL sorta means not at lot TBH, a post by a revered member, link.

I believe on ThreadRipper as memory controller is same as Ryzen, same applies. You can see on AMD TR product page 2666MHz is max MHz for RAM (like Ryzen). As you increase occupied slots, go from SS/SR to say DS/DR the 'official' frequency drops .

Below is image from Ryzen press pack pdf.

4356ad5b_RAMInfo.jpeg

You'll also see on relevant ASUS product pages anything above 2666MHz has (OC). QVL has also depends on "CPU, other HW ...".

What is exact model of RAM kit you have?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
a week prior to TR4 launch I sent an E-mail to G.Skill US tech support and they told me prelim testing showed that 3200 C14 and 3600 C16 will work best but that was probably with only half the DIMMs populated

I ordered the F4-3000C14Q2-128GTZR
supposed to be delivered today

so I shouldn't even expect 2666MHz stable out of the box?

yikes..

happyluck we got a similar bulid going...1950x with enermax liqtech 128gb trident Z 1080ti 570x case...floored as it's my first HEDT but have been scratching my head at this memory business...I'm used to dropping in ram and just have it working
tongue.gif

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
Did G.Skill allude if these speeds were DR setup?

There have been email shares by OCN members, got G.Skill higher speed RAM, didn't attain 'rated speed'. They get reply back 'may depend on CPU sample, HW, FW, etc' yada yada.

I'd look at shares of DR on Ryzen to see what settings tweaks got members best clocks, etc.

Even though TR is highlighted as best bin dies I reckon this doesn't factor IMC. Hopefully AGESA is improving.

Certain things in TR UEFI have worked for me better compared to Ryzen. Also TR has so many options now that we waited for months on Ryzen to gain tweaking of RAM.

I'm ordering a non Samsung B die kit of quad channel just for experience of other RAM IC, before getting another set of F4-3200C14D-16GTZ to go quad channel.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

because the Zenith Extreme's QVL lists 128GB of F4-3000C14Q2 Ripjaws as compatible which has the same frequency, timing and voltage as the Trident Z that I ordered

My priority is to eet rated speed out of the box stable with zero tweaking aside from BIOS update. I don't have the know-how or time to learn how to mess around with each setting.

I also thought 3000MHz was marketing lingo for 2933MHz rounded up. I didn't realize they were 2 separate specs.
My ram kit isnt on QVL:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232220

As Gup pointed out, QVL is not end all be all. Most of the time if it isnt the cheap hynix stuff, it will probably work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoqolatl View Post

I happen to have an archive of it, exactly as used to be available on Intel's website:

Intel Memory Latency Checker 3.4
I run it but it just closes on me after doing some tests :|

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikoji View Post

My ram kit isnt on QVL:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232220

As Gup pointed out, QVL is not end all be all. Most of the time if it isnt the cheap hynix stuff, it will probably work.
I run it but it just closes on me after doing some tests :|
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

Did G.Skill allude if these speeds were DR setup?

There have been email shares by OCN members, got G.Skill higher speed RAM, didn't attain 'rated speed'. They get reply back 'may depend on CPU sample, HW, FW, etc' yada yada.

I'd look at shares of DR on Ryzen to see what settings tweaks got members best clocks, etc.

Even though TR is highlighted as best bin dies I reckon this doesn't factor IMC. Hopefully AGESA is improving.

Certain things in TR UEFI have worked for me better compared to Ryzen. Also TR has so many options now that we waited for months on Ryzen to gain tweaking of RAM.

I'm ordering a non Samsung B die kit of quad channel just for experience of other RAM IC, before getting another set of F4-3200C14D-16GTZ to go quad channel.
I was able to get G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR4-3200 (16GB X 4) F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR kit to work at 3200 with latest 0603 BIOS by setting BIOS to DOCP. It passed MemTest86 with 0 errors. With 9960 BIOS and setting it to DOCP I would get errors usually on pass 2. To get it to work I manually set memory speed to 3066 with 14-14-14-14-34 timings and it would pass with 0 errors. I used Typhoon Burner to verify that the F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR kit is in fact Samsung B-Die.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
@twitchyzero

There you go some 1st hand real world experience for 64GB (4x 16GB DR), +rep to Reikoji and rich345
smile.gif

I reckon you'll have best board and 'team' to support UEFI development to have you had max RAM MHz
thumb.gif

By going 128GB you may with ease or some tweaks get close to what your after, just do not 'cement' the idea fully that you will be at xyz, this way less chance of any disappointment. Also like rich346 has stated you may have to wait as UEFI develops to hit higher with max RAM on board.

@Reikoji

If you don't run .exe within a command prompt and just launch with double click it will do that.

For me selecting [Channel, Die, Socket] resulted in same AIDA64 / MLC results as [Auto]. No point in sharing screenies, etc. Perhaps as I'm on DC it has no affect
headscratch.gif
, I saw in UEFI warning that if RAM population is not correct, for the option selected, it is ignored.

I will try Ryzen Master to change UMA/NUMA and or meddle with this once go quad channel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:

@twitchyzero

There you go some 1st hand real world experience for 64GB (4x 16GB DR), +rep to Reikoji and rich345
smile.gif

I reckon you'll have best board and 'team' to support UEFI development to have you had max RAM MHz
thumb.gif

By going 128GB you may with ease or some tweaks get close to what your after, just do not 'cement' the idea fully that you will be at xyz, this way less chance of any disappointment. Also like rich346 has stated you may have to wait as UEFI develops to hit higher with max RAM on board.
UEFI updates is what I am waiting for aswell..
Using two packs of Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 that are Samsung B-die, total of 4*16GB sticks.

Highest stable freqs I manage to run at are 3066MHz, boot loop when trying D.O.C.P. 3200MHz that fails and reenter BIOS @2133MHz.

Settings that works for me with UEFI 0601 and 0603:
DRAM AB Voltage [1.35000]
DRAM CD Voltage [1.35000]
DRAM CAS# Latency [15]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Read Delay [17]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Write Delay [17]
DRAM RAS# PRE Time [17]
DRAM RAS# ACT Time [34]
Trc [51]
DRAM VBoot Voltage AB [1.35000]
DRAM VBoot Voltage CD [1.35000]

Everything else is on default/auto.

Edit: Spelling is stronk!

Edit 2: Added complete list of settings for @gupsterg

Daniel3066MHz_setting.txt 24k .txt file

Attachments

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #690 ·
@Ljugtomten

+rep for share of experience
smile.gif

Try increasing some BCLK to see if you gain a little more? (just be aware this will increases CPU clocks as well, etc)

If you have PCI-E storage devices I'd make backup of storage just in case.

Some cards like WiFi I had on C6H didn't like increased BCLK past 109MHz IIRC, will check my scribbles on pad. Will soon try some BCLK tweaks on ZE.

Also what ProcODT are you using?

SOC are you setting manually or running [Auto]?

If [Auto] what is it showing as in monitoring or on DMM when checking NB_SOC?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:

@Ljugtomten

+rep for share of experience
smile.gif

Try increasing some BCLK to see if you gain a little more? (just be aware this will increases CPU clocks as well, etc)

If you have PCI-E storage devices I'd make backup of storage just in case.

Some cards like WiFi I had on C6H didn't like increased BCLK past 109MHz IIRC, will check my scribbles on pad. Will soon try some BCLK tweaks on ZE.

Also what ProcODT are you using?

SOC are you setting manually or running [Auto]?

If [Auto] what is it showing as in monitoring or on DMM when checking NB_SOC?
Updated previus post with complete list of settings.
I have previously tried slightly increasing SOC manually (up to +10%) to get 3200MHz working, but did not succed. As I am only using 4/8 slots I don't think I need to increase it, running on defaults at the moment.

BCLK and such are set to default, so XFR can do its thing. CPU is not overclocked as I am using a Corsair H100i v2 and not a custom loop.

Added readings from HWMonitor Pro:

HWMonitorPRO.txt 169k .txt file

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:

For me selecting [Channel, Die, Socket] resulted in same AIDA64 / MLC results as [Auto]. No point in sharing screenies, etc. Perhaps as I'm on DC it has no affect
headscratch.gif
, I saw in UEFI warning that if RAM population is not correct, for the option selected, it is ignored.
Of course. If you only have one mem controller populated, all memory accesses are going to that memory. NUMA applies to machines with uniform memory (there is a single big address space) but non uniform access (because this single memory space resides in two places, and access to one of those places is longer and slower). If you only populate one side of the socket, AIDA shows the best case scenario: access to local memory. If you pin your thread (I.e. in Intel MLC) to the die with no memory installed, you will see the worst case scenario: access to remote memory exclusively.

Edit: if you install two dimms on opposite sides of the socket you should see difference between UMA and NUMA in AIDA (NUMA will be faster).

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
@Ljugtomten

I use 2 slots, single rank, single sided, 2x 8GB. I need to increase SOC from what UEFI default would be at 2133MHz.

On C6H SOC increased as target RAM MHz was increased based on 'auto rule' of UEFI, but not due a 'auto determination' based on CPU used.

As an example I had several CPU that didn't need SOC as high as what 'auto rule' set.

On TR/ZE for me [Auto] SOC is going to 1.1V when increasing 'target RAM' to OC frequencies.

I can gain 3200MHz on 1.05V, little higher then Ryzen. 1.1V gets me 3466MHz. Default SOC for my CPU IIRC is 0.950V.

With 4 slots you will need increased SOC over default. What [Auto] is setting with increased RAM please share?

ProcODT IMO you will need to play with. From my own meddling with it on TR/ZE it seems it will not post on as wide a range as R7/C6H did with same RAM. Some what tuning is made easier on that front.

I have had some rare intermittent failed post issues running 3466MHz The Stilt preset, I may have solved it, will continue testing until fully know nailed it.

Thanks for txt, but you will need to play with ProcODT/CAD Bus/SOC and perhaps other tweaks to gain more. Unless newer UEFI [Auto] starts working better for you.

@xoqolatl

I use slots A1 and C1 as stated in manual for dual channel. I would assume the way manual guides me is to use 1 channel from each memory controller. As quad channel the info is populate A1 B1 C1 D1.

Currently I have no idea if I'm using 2 channels from same mem controller. My small testing has failed to show this yet.

I will be trying moving slots and will aim to assign affinity to x core with testing
smile.gif

I am interested in this testing to fathom which slots go to which mem controller, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not a mystery: slots A, B are connected to one die, C, D are connected to the other die. It's the same on every X399 motherboard, left side is one IMC, right side is the other.

If you have memory installed in A and C, you should see a difference in latency in AIDA64 between UMA and NUMA modes. UMA should be higher latency. Perhaps there will be little difference in bandwidth, since one DDR4 channel is much slower than IF between dies.

Using Intel MLC you can test latency in various scenarios using this command for example (run it in elevated powershell):

Code:

Code:
mlc --idle_latency -c0 -i8
Where 0 and 8 are source and target threads, respectively. Thread 8 will allocate some area of memory in its own memory domain, and thread 0 will access it. On Threadripper under Windows lower half of logical CPU are on one die, upper half are on the other die. To confirm you can check the topology of your machine (logical CPU numbers, which of them share one L3 cache, and which belong to which NUMA domain) using lstopo tool from hwloc package.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
My thought process would have been A is channel off one mem controller and C would be other mem controller. Why I thought this is in 'default' setup this maybe optimal, again only an opinion, but thank you for info
smile.gif

I saw no difference between selecting differing interleaving in UEFI, but I will hold up my hand and say at that time I was not 'pegging' thread within AIDA64 or making command line changes to MLC and running as I would normally. I will retest as stated before
smile.gif

Yes I have noted which logical CPUs are which die from other tests I have been doing
smile.gif

I am currently again on a differing lengthy stress test, due to tweaks I did to rig. Aiming to resolve rare intermittent post issue on 3466MHz 1T Stilt preset in DC. In ~8hrs or so I can retest UEFI interleaving settings changes
smile.gif

+rep for assistance
smile.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

I got my TR Build recently and I can't overclock RAM whatever I try.

In my previous build XMP always did it's job and there was no mess, but in this case XMP doesn't work. Manual setting of timings as well.

Anyone could help me out with a guide or tutorial how to overclock RAM to 3600MHz?

When I try to overclock it with XMP or manual setting of timings the PC just turns off instantly, then after 3-4s turns on, 3-4s later it turns off again and it just loops. No POST, no error, the only solution to it that I found is clear cmos and try again.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
MOBO: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme X399
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti
PSU: Corsair HX1200
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 64GB (4x16GB)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puniek7 View Post

Hello,

I got my TR Build recently and I can't overclock RAM whatever I try.

In my previous build XMP always did it's job and there was no mess, but in this case XMP doesn't work. Manual setting of timings as well.

Anyone could help me out with a guide or tutorial how to overclock RAM to 3600MHz?

When I try to overclock it with XMP or manual setting of timings the PC just turns off instantly, then after 3-4s turns on, 3-4s later it turns off again and it just loops. No POST, no error, the only solution to it that I found is clear cmos and try again.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
MOBO: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme X399
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti
PSU: Corsair HX1200
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 64GB (4x16GB)
Your sticks is probably Dual Rank, which are hard to OC.

Step one: Taiphoon Burner to identify if Samsung or Hynix: http://www.softnology.biz/files.html (Samsung are usually easier to overclock)

Step two: view all XMP profiles with SIV64 and manually try one step slower: http://rh-software.com/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, just checked in Siv64 they are dual ranks. That's how it looks like:
DOCP in BIOS has XMP profile #10 settings (1798.6MHz, 18-19-19-39) so should I try 19-19-19-39?

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljugtomten View Post

Step two: view all XMP profiles with SIV64 and manually try one step slower: http://rh-software.com/

I have not used SIV64 for this purpose
redface.gif
, so don't know if there are more screens of info regarding RAM
redface.gif
, but from your screenie Thaiphoon Burner / AIDA64 give more info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puniek7 View Post

Yeah, just checked in Siv64 they are dual ranks. That's how it looks like:
DOCP in BIOS has XMP profile #10 settings (1798.6MHz, 18-19-19-39) so should I try 19-19-19-39?
You could try Profile #11 and onwards, but my guess is that you need to use profile #9 or lowed where the frequency is lower.
My 3200MHz dual rank are stable at 3066MHz (not tinkered that much with them, awaiting future UEFI updates).

@gupsterg I were not aware of that module in Taiphoon, found it now :)
I used the screen from SIV64 as a screenshot in my cellphone to have a reference when tinkering with the settings in UEFI. Found that table in SIV64 to be a good overview when trying multiple settings.

681 - 700 of 3268 Posts