Overclock.net banner

541 - 560 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am running 8 x 8GB DIMMs for a total of 64GB.
Looking at your RAM's timings I'm pretty sure that those are NOT Samsung B die modules. (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) This is probably why your DIMMs are getting so hot and my don't. Having in mind this and the 8x 32GB configuration you are running, I'm thinking that anything more than 3200MHz is a bonus! 256GB is the maximum supported memory for a Threadripper chip, and even according to the board's manual, the fastest supported speed at this config (8X32GB) is 3200MHz. Another thing is that a 32GB RAM Stick is at best a Dual-rank module (or even a Quad-rank if you are not lucky). That many RAM banks are quite hard for the memory controller to deal with. This makes things unstable at higher frequencies...
One last thing you can try is to update your BIOS to 1303 (it was mentioned earlier here in the thread) This one is not yet on ASUS'es website for some reason but it's not a BETA one (at least to my knowledge).
Thanks for the heads up on 1303. I've just tested it and it did not improve on my 3600MHz stability. Nevertheless, I leave it installed for now.

I've also tried to run my RAM desynced at 1800MHz FCLK with RAM at 3466MHz. In my short testing (about 10 minutes) it seems to be stable. If I run it at 1733MHz FCLK with RAM at 3600MHz, AIDA64 failed in less than 2 minutes. If the RAM weren't tested previously at 3600MHz on an ASRock overnight, I would have concluded that the RAM is at fault.

I will leave it at 3466MHz for now and tighten the timings unless I am in need of more speed than capacity than I will reduce to 128GB and run the rig at 3600MHz.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The torture test settings I told you to use for Prime95 are meant to test the memory controller and Ram, not the cores.

If you want to test the cores and see maximum heat, use the small FFT setting under the torture test menu.

Got it. I will run it as suggested when I want to test specific segments of the CPU with P95 next time.

Thanks for the tips!

·
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)
771 Posts
What are your settings for PBO? did you set manual voltage ?
See my post below that for voltages.

That was a few bios revisions ago. I am now running 4.1ghz on all cores.

·
Registered
7 Posts
See my post below that for voltages.

That was a few bios revisions ago. I am now running 4.1ghz on all cores.
I am doing the same all i did was just set my core to 4.125 and left all the defaults alone.
So far it's running between 1.15v and 1.25v and I am getting 43810 in Cinebench R23

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on 1303. I've just tested it and it did not improve on my 3600MHz stability. Nevertheless, I leave it installed for now.

I've also tried to run my RAM desynced at 1800MHz FCLK with RAM at 3466MHz. In my short testing (about 10 minutes) it seems to be stable. If I run it at 1733MHz FCLK with RAM at 3600MHz, AIDA64 failed in less than 2 minutes. If the RAM weren't tested previously at 3600MHz on an ASRock overnight, I would have concluded that the RAM is at fault.

I will leave it at 3466MHz for now and tighten the timings unless I am in need of more speed than capacity than I will reduce to 128GB and run the rig at 3600MHz.
Not sure why you having issues. I have a full RAM and with DOCP i am running 3600MHXZ stable

·
Registered
7 Posts
32GB is a lot less taxing on the CPU and IMC than having 256GB. That would explain why you are not having the issues I am facing. At 128GB, I too can enable DOCP and have 0 issues also.
I was trying to say i have 32GB per module i.e 8x32GB. My total Capacity is 256GB with DOCP enabled it runs without any issues. Only change i made to my system BIOS is enable DOCP, set CPU core to 41.25 mhz, enable PCI Gen 4 on my GPU slot and disabled SATA and i have no issues. At first i ttied manully overclocking the cpu and had many problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was trying to say i have 32GB per module i.e 8x32GB. My total Capacity is 256GB with DOCP enabled it runs without any issues. Only change i made to my system BIOS is enable DOCP, set CPU core to 41.25 mhz, enable PCI Gen 4 on my GPU slot and disabled SATA and i have no issues. At first i ttied manully overclocking the cpu and had many problems.
May I inquire if the kit you have is the Trident Z RGB or Trident Z NEO?

For my case, I enabled DOCP and tried with and without PBO on. No manual overclocking is done. I too disabled SATA but did not set PCI gen 4 on my GPU since no GPU now can saturate GEN 3 x16 slot still.

·
Registered
7 Posts
May I inquire if the kit you have is the Trident Z RGB or Trident Z NEO?

For my case, I enabled DOCP and tried with and without PBO on. No manual overclocking is done. I too disabled SATA but did not set PCI gen 4 on my GPU since no GPU now can saturate GEN 3 x16 slot still.
This is what i have

G.Skill G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL18 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-360018D-64GTZR - Black

·
Registered
156 Posts
3970X on the Z2E with 256GB 3600Mhz Neo kit from G.Skill. Not a single issue running DOCP. System is stable as a rock and runs for days at a time without issue.

3990X just came in. Tested it on my Z2EA and so far easy peasy 32GB(4x8) 3800C14 1:1

·
Registered
7 Posts
3970X on the Z2E with 256GB 3600Mhz Neo kit from G.Skill. Not a single issue running DOCP. System is stable as a rock and runs for days at a time without issue.

3990X just came in. Tested it on my Z2EA and so far easy peasy 32GB(4x8) 3800C14 1:1
How is the 3990X for daily use? did you notice any difference not in benchmarks but in normal daily use?
Do you keep your system running 24/7? I am worried about leaving it on all day as it draws an average of 400 watts. Is using sleep mode recommended?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone knows what Performance Enhancer does? On "Level 3 (OC)" I'm getting higher boost clocks close to 4500 unachievable with PBO or default settings, but EDC becomes limited to 145A, which leads to terrible multi-core performance. With PBO I rarely boost above 4350, and I'm on custom water.

This is Zenith II (non-Alpha) with 3970x.

·
Registered
156 Posts
How is the 3990X for daily use? did you notice any difference not in benchmarks but in normal daily use?
Do you keep your system running 24/7? I am worried about leaving it on all day as it draws an average of 400 watts. Is using sleep mode recommended?
3990X hasn't been moved over to the daily yet. Still prepping for 3990X on LN2 before it gets moved over.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did u guys install this new BIOS for Alpha ? what is this Aura and Fan control improvement ?

Did they add finaly epansion card support to bios ?

541 - 560 of 594 Posts