Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my router finally but the dust. Odd I know but after resetting the router reinstalling the latest firmware along with hours of troubleshooting the 2.4Ghz band quit working all together while the 5Ghz band works fine.

I'm looking to upgrade the router and honestly I'm not the most well informed buyer but I do learn quickly. I'm considering the routers listed in the title but am not limiting my search to just those. Are there any router buffs that could help guide me to pick the best one for my setup? I want to be able to game on my desktop and stream say a 4K clip on Netflix with active QOS that actually works. I plan to have as many as 14+ devices connected at any time so I do not want to be throttled at any point. The tri bands seem very promising but I'm not 100% sold on needing the third band but maybe I do. Any suggestions from the community?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
That's just it when you actually do the digging you will find mixed reviews on the routers. In fact the ac88u has some of the highest rated reviews by various professional reviews but not that great reviews through newegg or Amazon. The Asus ac8500 scores constantly higher on all testing done which will last longer when I upgrade to gbs service. The 1900 that you linked has great reviews but for a few extra dollars I can get beam forming and mu-Mimo. I didn't ask the question out of lack of research on my own I asked the question bc I do not see why that would be recommended over the others based on a compilation of the reviews from all different sites not just one.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You might be able to get a Linksys WRT1900AC for around $170. I think this is your best best.

I have owned this router and while I found no performance issues, I have a few small pet peeves about it and one LARGE pet peeve. but first the positives.

1) It looks like an enterprise-class router, and a damn good one at that. The LEDs on the faceplate look awesome.
2) It doesn't look like a UFO from outer space
3) It has an attractive user interface which for some reason, you have to type the password to login to every single time. I have found no way to have the browser remember the login password which might be annoying.
4) Good performance: web pages loaded quick with no detectable DNS lookup lag.
5) Can be mounted vertically
6) Has a rocker on/off switch which is good for doing a hard reboot without having to pull the plug.

I have not tried any of the advanced features of it like OpenVPN server or advanced QoS rules but I imagine it would hold up EXTREMELY well.

Small per peeves: This router runs hot, which should not be a big deal if you have adequate air flow above and underneath the unit. IMO the unit needs more air space below it than what the height of the feet will allow. The bottom gets very hot. You could broil a steak under this thing.

The power cable from the router attaches into a large power supply which then plugs into a wall. If you let the cord dangle, it will put a a lot of weight on the cord and unit. I found this too be a bit problematic because I had to actually support the power supply itself so it wouldn't pull the router off the table.

Large pet peeve: it took almost a year for Linksys to cooperate with OpenWRT despite Linksys marketing the device as "open source ready" right on the front of the box. Shame on you, Linksys for going with a Marvel chipset instead of Broadcom.

I returned it a week later not for performance issues, but because it didn't suit my needs. It is overwhelming to use it just for one wired PC and a wifi device. It is overkill.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2143623/hardware/linksys-wrt1900ac-wi-fi-router-review-faster-than-anything-we-ve-tested.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1XEQVI/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00KEK4Q5Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KT15CDDK91G1BBW6RCS

In conclusion, I would highly recommend this router to you if you have the space and the proper air flow. Connecting 14+ devices to it should be no problem at all. With the network map feature, you can visually and easily see each device's name and MAC address and custom name them.

BTW I returned this router and decided to go instead with a TP-LINK WDR4300 N750 because it is the best priced gigabit router that's also compatible with openWRT / DD-WRT and has 2 USB ports.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

You might be able to get a Linksys WRT1900AC for around $170. I think this is your best best.

I have owned this router and while I found no performance issues, I have a few small pet peeves about it and one LARGE pet peeve. but first the positives.

1) It looks like an enterprise-class router, and a damn good one at that. The LEDs on the faceplate look awesome.
2) It doesn't look like a UFO from outer space
3) It has an attractive user interface which for some reason, you have to type the password to login to every single time. I have found no way to have the browser remember the login password which might be annoying.
4) Good performance: web pages loaded quick with no detectable DNS lookup lag.
5) Can be mounted vertically
6) Has a rocker on/off switch which is good for doing a hard reboot without having to pull the plug.

I have not tried any of the advanced features of it like OpenVPN server or advanced QoS rules but I imagine it would hold up EXTREMELY well.

Small per peeves: This router runs hot, which should not be a big deal if you have adequate air flow above and underneath the unit. IMO the unit needs more air space below it than what the height of the feet will allow. The bottom gets very hot. You could broil a steak under this thing.

The power cable from the router attaches into a large power supply which then plugs into a wall. If you let the cord dangle, it will put a a lot of weight on the cord and unit. I found this too be a bit problematic because I had to actually support the power supply itself so it wouldn't pull the router off the table.

Large pet peeve: it took almost a year for Linksys to cooperate with OpenWRT despite Linksys marketing the device as "open source ready" right on the front of the box. Shame on you, Linksys for going with a Marvel chipset instead of Broadcom.

I returned it a week later not for performance issues, but because it didn't suit my needs. It is overwhelming to use it just for one wired PC and a wifi device. It is overkill.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1XEQVI/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00KEK4Q5Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KT15CDDK91G1BBW6RCS
Thank you for the reply. I have actually added that router to my list of ones I have been researching. Also refurbished or used like New from Amazon seems like I will save big and keep the same warranty from most companies so that is s huge plus. I'm in the process of setting up my NAS server to function as a plex server. I also like to do some heavy gaming from time to time while the wife watched some shows on Netflix. My next project when I finalize the paperwork on a new house is to setup wireless everything (i.e. Lights thermostat, you name it) while I am handy with electronics routers have typically been my achades heel. Outside of reviews it takes my googling a ton and asking a lot of questions before I have it set up to my liking. My worry with getting dual band is that the increased connectivity will hamper the rigs that need the bandwidth. That's mainly the only reason I was interested in tri band. After reading literally a ton of reviews I've limited my choices to the one you linked and two Asus router ac-88u and ac5300. All three support different throughputs and very different prices haha but a router to me is a buy setup and forget for 4-5 years so spending the money upfront to not have future problems is worth it. I just don't know enough about router features to filter out the gimmicks from future mainstream tech.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So with the added devices to my network do you think I could reach a level that would allow benifit to having the tri band. In the article you link it seems although most won't need it I will. Using high upload speed through the plex server, gaming, Netflix while having the house components connected not to mention various cell phones laptops, set top boxes etc. it seems that my internet connected devices continue to grow rapidly. My only worry is sticking with a dual band will give me the upgrade itch in a couple years. I would rather just pay now and be done for a long time.

As far as internet speed the new house will be running fiber so it will be a substantial increase in DL and Upload.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
What is your internet speed? Will you be using 802.11ac devices at all? Will the router be in the center of your home?

With that many devices I'm wondering you'd be better off with using a second wireless router as an access point, wired to your first one's LAN port into the WAN port of the second one, so that half your devices can connect to the first router, and half to the second, if you can hook a PC up to both to configure a different SSID and password. It's a consideration. If wired, you would not have to set it to wireless repeater mode, but it will act as a wifi extender without the lag or latency issues, I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have considered that. The house however is only around 2500 sq ft though so adding a second router shouldn't be necessary. Currently my DL/UL speed is 75/20 but will be 150/150 in a few months.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
150/150?? Wow that's a pretty fast upload. What you need is some pretty good QoS management. I think we can both agree this is the most important aspect of your setup. This video might help you understand the capabilities of Linksys' QoS management. I think Any of the wireless ac routers listed here should work fine, but the the Linksys shows in some reviews to have worse 2.4 GHz range of the bunch.

Another option is to use a spare PC as a router/firewall running pfSense, as this will give you much better QoS control and has traffic shaping plugins, but I have no experience with it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah my job requires me to upload some very massive drawings to our database which doing it daily will take its toll. Honestly my biggest worry outside of getting the correct configurations are these new data caps internet companies are starting. I personally hate the idea and hope it fails. If I pay for a speed I should get to use it without worry of having to pay more bc I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I just bought the nighthawk x8 r8500 today. I'll let you know how it goes. Replacing Netgear R6250 AC1600. Had about 20 devices on the network last night and the R6250 was dropping some, 2.4ghz band disappeared entirely. Hopefully R8500 can keep up.

Oh, so why the way overpriced r8500 when maybe a $200 router would be enough? Because
1) i hate routers
2) i hate router problems
3) I don't want some @#$% to go wrong with the network 6 months from now and say "@#$%@# @#$#$ [email protected]# I SHOULD HAVE PAID $200 MORE FOR A GOOD ROUTER!!!!"
4) Tablet dies? I have others. Computer dies? Plenty of those. Wireless router dies? @#$% out of luck
5) I don't have time to buy five $150 to $250 routers and test them all.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
At first I was like "No way! This guy owns envelops"? Then I saw your name on one an I knew for sure. So how is it running? Do you recommend it to the OP? Any issues at all?

Dynamic QoS prioritizes bandwidth by application and device

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Quote:

At first I was like "No way! This guy owns envelops"? Then I saw your name on one an I knew for sure. So how is it running? Do you recommend it to the OP? Any issues at all?

well the Dynamic QoS sucks, it's already removed access from a tablet so I had to turn that off

other than that it's pretty good. My amped wireless extenders seem to have a better range though and they're only $73

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Quote:

but the r6250 had a problem on the 2.4ghz band, seemed it was dropping out to nothing for no reason. But this does have a much better 2.4ghz range so it's worth something for that. The 5ghz really isn't much better.

i took photos and screenshots, i'll post them someday

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclockerjames View Post

nevermind it's going back, keep having connection issues with various devices that worked fine with the old router. If this thing was $150 i might troubleshoot, but for $400 it should be perfect everywhere.
Hey guys sorry for the delay I have been focusing on my memory OC. Tightening up all the timings can be WORK!! Sorry the router has given you issues. I can safely mark that off the list! So what's up next for you to try? Would love to find out what you end up with. Personally I am leaning toward the ac5300 and waiting for some kind of deal on it bringing it at or below $300. It just has great reviews and does everything I think I will need. Plus if need be I can then use the ac88u as a bridge of need be later.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts