Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PC will not boot now. The pin is a goner... Could I use some tiny copper wire to insert it instead of the pin? I know someone who makes jewelry as a hobby and might have the tools that could help. I've done micro soldering and volt mods before so I am up for the challenge of it is required. I would prefer DIY fix to RMA though... I bought this babe almost 2,years ago!

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

PC will not boot now. The pin is a goner... Could I use some tiny copper wire to insert it instead of the pin? I know someone who makes jewelry as a hobby and might have the tools that could help. I've done micro soldering and volt mods before so I am up for the challenge of it is required. I would prefer DIY fix to RMA though... I bought this babe almost 2,years ago!
Its worth a try.
redface.gif
I would try and get a pin off an old cpu with pins or perhaps another board if you can find a scrapper. Your jeweler friend may have the skill to pull it off. Your probably screwed but dang if I wouldnt try unless you CAN RMA it. If so I would go for the sure bet. Thats not a cheap or easily replaced board.

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

As in just placing copper wire? I would not be soldering it inside that tiny hole though...
Mfgs are pretty notorious about turning down rmas involving pin damage. Im not sure how to approach this but my concern would be heat build up at the connection point of whatever you decide to use and the board, if you can even get it to work. Like i said, your almost certainly screwed but I would try.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah its a dead girl... We had so much in common, especially the armor and the sockets! Oh well I will settle for a twin. I was forced to use single channel bandwidth for 2 years because of a bent pin, so going dual channel will be a welcomed perk.

I am not sure about NewEgg's Open Box though. I don't mind the lack of accessories because I already have them but obvious defects would pee me off. They say that Open Box items were tested, which means some idiot may have already bent pins on it and labeled PASS because he or she heard a beep..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts