Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, not much else to say, I hate to do this but look at my posts in this topic:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568187/r9-390-heaven-benchmarks-show-yours/80

That will give you some background info. Also check my build in sig.

Now from that information can anyone point out why my Strix 390x is acting so poorly? It's irritating to know I dumped the price of a new gaming console on a graphics card that doesn't perform as advertised, or even as well as everyone elses'. Message me w/ any ?'s, I'll try to reply as fast as possible. As this is a burning situation I will be checking back frequently.

EDIT: Btw the reason I started a new topic, and did not continue t post in the above topic, is because the above topic is supposed to be "Post your Scores", not "post your problems" lol, i didn't want to flood the topic anymore with troubleshooting and tons of pics. You're welcome all....

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm wondering if your cup or gpu (or both) is throttling. Looking at your sig build, it looks like you are running stock cooling in a confined space, and both your cup and gpu will run hot under load...too hot, they will pull back to stay under thermal limit. You could also have an issue where the vrm's on the gpu are getting too warm, which could explain the artifacting you described.

Btw, there is an option in the Radeon drivers for display over and under scan that will allow you to scale the display properly to fit your TV at 1920x1080p. Depending on if you are using crimson drivers or not, you may have to dig through the multiple options in the display menu

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right about temperature being problematic, I'll start there. The case is mATX, which is HORRIBLE for performance unless you have fistfuls of cash to do some serious modifications. Will try monitoring like mentioned above (before, during, after) and post results later this evening. I'm going to have to take this thing to the bench to really get the lowdown, and I'm actually quite taxed for time at the moment. Posting on a forum is one thing, but troubleshooting this heap is another thing entirely at the moment... I have noticed that Unigine Benchmark does not properly pick up my GPU temps, ever. As seen in the pics, it says my temps are in the 1,000's lol. Also "Speedfan" and "MSI Afterburner" all seem to give skewed readings. I need to find a utility that can give me real accurate readings... I know "SpeedFan" isn't accurate, and doesn't even pick up a lot of onboard sensors that i have. Neither does it have control over the CPU fan speed or case fan speeds. The opnly fan i seem to be able to speed up, ever, on any software is the GPU fan, which does no good if i can't vent the dissipated heat out of the case...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand3853 View Post

Totally understand the 'strapped for time' thing... you might try just removing everything from the case and running it that way. If nothing else, you can eliminate a thermal issue.

For temp monitoring I usually use HWmonitor, gives pretty accurate readings of just about everything.
Thanks for the reference, I'll give HW-Monitor a try. Unfortunately life calls this evening, so I'll get into this tomorrow. Oh how I wish I could just tinker around with PC's all day long every day... Have to pay those bills though... This upcoming 1st I have set aside a $300 spending limit for my rig, I'm thinking about a $70-100 Full-Tower case, and possibly a new motherboard, and on the next first (5/1/2016) I'm thinking about getting a "K" designated Haswell (1151 chip-set). But honestly guys, if I'm willing to spend the money, should I go ahead and upgrade to the new chip-set (1150) Skylake and the corresponding motherboard? I want to buy a new ~$250-300 motherboard that supports 2133mhz or faster RAM in dual channel, at LEAST 3 PCIe-x16 slots, 4+ SATA's, 2+ USB3.0's, supports OC'ing, has good bit of fan headers, and you know, just a REALY good mobo for overclocking with lots of room to expand upon. ALso I would like it to be ATX or EATX, I'm not messing with mATX ever again. And as for the Skylake processor, I'm not sure which to get honestly, but I want one with sheer brute power. I've seen studies that show the number of cores, and the frequency of the CPU don't necessarily give a solid way to reference or compare different processors, so I'd like to find one that is a power house. I've also heard that some motherboards can STILL overclock Sklyakes, even if they're not "K" models, even AFTER the forced Intel bios update for all motherboards that just came out. So should I chance getting a cheaper non-k processor and one of these overclocking boards, or just get a "k"" to avoid any issues that may arise. Not sure how well force-clocking a non-k is going to go.... Also any ideas for a mid range (~2k) display monitor? Maybe one I should look for on sale, like in the $200-250 range? Must have DisplayPort though, I'm so over HDMI.... Anyway, any input appreciated, and I'll try to get cracking on troubleshooting tomorrow p.m.

If anyone has any questions about which motherboards can overcloack ANY processor, just send me a message, i have an article with several listed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
MasterofBlunt this is a known issue with R9 300 series and Fury cards in which by default they downclock the core at bad times to save energy. The most recent patch (hotfix) for Crimson added a setting to allow us, I own an Asus R9 390 Strix the non-X version of your card to override this downclocking and run at the right clock speeds, just turn that setting off and it may help, it also solves stuttering etc. in games.

Also if you suspect heat issues.. These cards don't spin up the fans until 65C and only reach 50% at 90C by default just set the fan manually to about 80% speed or soin Crimson it's still fairly quiet and will keep temps down from idle to full load. I personally have mine set to 100% but I don't care about noise.. I like a cool computer.. and a quiet computer is a hot computer.

·
Premium Member
20,154 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Actually I'd forget a freesync monitor they aren't needed and as long as size isn't an issue I happen to own a great one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236453&cm_re=pb258q-_-24-236-453-_-Product

It's only 25" but they do make a 27" version of it too.

Freesync unfortunately does the same thing as enabling v-sync which is limiting FPS and therefore performance as a way to save energy, you don't buy a 390(x) to save energy you buy one to push framerates when you don't have enough money for a Fury or Pro Duo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts