Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
XtremeSystems
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Could use some pointers as to what you think is the problem here / what component died.

The symptoms:

- Post code 00 which means it's not doing anything. The fans do spin up. This started occurring after about 4 months of problem free operation. Mining, gaming, working on a moderate OC.

What I've tried:

- clearing CMOS / removing battery / let it sit for a while
- checking RAM, jumpers / XMP buttons (none were touched anyway)
- reseating CPU and RAM. CPU shows no sign of damage nor do the pins in the socket

Nothing weird happened, the system never locked up and worked flawlessly. After shutting down it just didn't want to budge the day after.

Is it the infamous Asus killing CPU problem? Or am I looking at a motherboard RMA?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,817 Posts
Have you tried taking the motherboard out of the case and starting it up outside the case?

·
XtremeSystems
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried taking the motherboard out of the case and starting it up outside the case?

I could still try that, thanks. However the chance for a short on the mobo is extremely small as the case was not moved in months and nothing else changed.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,817 Posts
If the board wont start up even outside of the case and after all that work it its probably dead

·
XtremeSystems
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If the board wont start up even outside of the case and after all that work it its probably dead

Yeah gotcha but I do not have a spare mobo or CPU so it's unclear what is dead. Looking at people reporting problems with the Strix I fear it's the CPU.

I do not remember what BIOS version is installed currently but it's a new one. I was under the impression that Asus fixed the problems with the newer BIOS?

EDIT: I also made sure the board was not feeding crazy voltages on auto. Set everything manually according to information found on overclock.net among other sources

·
Senior OCN Member
39,817 Posts
CPU failures are very rare so its more often the motherboard that fails

·
XtremeSystems
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can conform motherboard died. CPU is fine.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I am having the same issue, after months of the system working flawlessly. I normally never turn my PC off, but had a bad storm coming through. I decided to turn the system off and unplug the PSU, and now I am stuck at 00 code.

All the fans spin, nothing has been changed since yesterday. CPU LED is lit up on the board, have not had time to do any troubleshooting.

Asus RVE10
Corsair 32gb Don Platinum
Corsair ax1200i
EVGA GTX 1080Ti

·
Kaby-Laker
15 Posts
00 means mobo is dead.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Guys get rid of X99 ASUS boards....so many boards and CPU's died already. Those low ratings really mean something.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16813132822

Take a good read on other ASUS x99 models, they have a VRM/TPU problem that's pretty much a killswitch for the board and sometimes the CPU.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Can conform motherboard died. CPU is fine.
Is the only way to confirm this the use of a known good CPU in the motherboard? If you go that route do you have to worry about the bad motherboard frying the known good CPU?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
NO, the chance is high it will kill the CPU. I wouldn't risk it.
If the board is still under warranty just RMA it and if you get a replacement, try with your old CPU. If it still hangs on 00, then you'll have to RMA the CPU too. That's the worst case scenario though.

·
Overclocker in training
13,929 Posts
Guys get rid of X99 ASUS boards....so many boards and CPU's died already. Those low ratings really mean something.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16813132822

Take a good read on other ASUS x99 models, they have a VRM/TPU problem that's pretty much a killswitch for the board and sometimes the CPU.
Hi,
Seeing I've had mine for 3 years now I really do not see this as being the case :/
Many have died no doubt but as too why is rarely shared as in bios and clocks used
About all we can get is fried on start up most were on auto voltages is true but multipliers/ cache pushing was never posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts