441 - 460 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey check out what I found:

Repeat this test on your machine. Fresh start of Windows 10 - Open Cinebench20 and HWinfo. Run the test and watch the clock speeds ........ for me I'd say 2 cores show almost 4.4 ghz and the rest of them more or less show 4.1 - 4.2 range in HWinfo.....

Cool.

Now - Same thing / different test. Restart windows fresh. Pull up HWinfo again but this time, pull up and run "Intel Burn test" ---- set the "Times to Run" from 10 to 5 and *MAKE SURE* you tick the the little box that says "Output Results to results log"

Let it run. Now go look at the "results log" --- Mine will clearly say average core speed is something like 3.68 , sometimes It gets up to 3.8 ghz.......... but HWinfo shows the 4.3ghz...... so........ ***?

·
Registered
42 Posts
IBT probably is just looking at different numbers... you can run these tests and pull up task manager and probably see even different numbers... Clock speeds on these new gen CPUs is a weird thing.

QB

·
Registered
80 Posts
IBT probably is just looking at different numbers... you can run these tests and pull up task manager and probably see even different numbers... Clock speeds on these new gen CPUs is a weird thing.

QB
Yeah. It's just something "weird" I managed to catch with my eyes. --- PS....... I am certain you "QB The Slayer" knows this already, but for others who come along behind me:

QB The Slayer - recommended that I try a negative offset of -0.131 - to try to help me lower my CPU temps. It works. In fact, QB mentioned that *HE* could not boot into windows desktop at -0.137 (the next lowest step up from 0.131).......yet I *AM* able to boot into windows desktop at negative offset of -0.137...... (hella low CPU temps. 20's C+ @ idle)

THE PROBLEM : Gamers Nexus Youtube Channel explored this lowering VCore thing and essentially this is the bottom line: A negative offset of -0.05 is FINE......... *ANYTHING* above that, you are going start to suffer big losses in benches / testing.

Only way around this as I see it is to buy a better than stock cooler / and or / max out your case fans and CPU fans rpm from start up. 100% full throttle fans and a negative -0.05 under-clock is about all the benefit of "lowering" heat you're going to get BEFORE starting to see performance issues. (Again, argue with the long haired hippy guy at Gamers Nexus)

QB The Slayer did not explain that part to me - perhaps because he was unaware of Gamers Nexus findings - or perhaps he knew and for whatever reason, forgot to mention it. Anyway, QB really helped me get up and running and now that I'm comfortable exploring / testing / tweaking and can communicate my findings.....I will report things I think will be helpful to others just like QB did with me. He's been a big help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
THE PROBLEM : Gamers Nexus Youtube Channel explored this lowering VCore thing and essentially this is the bottom line: A negative offset of -0.05 is FINE......... *ANYTHING* above that, you are going start to suffer big losses in benches / testing.
And while these guys do know what they are doing they do miss a lot of things too. If you recall, I did not just do an undervolt, I also did a manual PBO (in fact I took buildzoid's suggestions). And I can tell you that every bench and test I do is improved, sometimes by a very nice margin.

The lesson you need to take from this, do your own testing and verification!

As for the -0.13750V offset, I can boot into Windows with that one, but it is not stable... It may be days later when I have a random re-start or BSOD...

QB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Apparently 2602 bios was a beta and released accidentally and has since been pulled.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I downloaded the 2602 bios but never installed it, I try to wait a couple days before loading them for reasons like this. So still on 2407 and have no complaints.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I downloaded the 2602 bios but never installed it, I try to wait a couple days before loading them for reasons like this. So still on 2407 and have no complaints.
I installed 2602 - it seems to be working ok, so I will leave well enough alone until another version appears. You were wise to wait. :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Currently running a 3900x @ 4.4ghz 1.325v. Motherboard is handling it fine. CPU consumes up to 200ish watts under full load. Seems like solid VRM's at face value. Can't get my 3900x to get to 1900 BCLK, but I think that's more of a cpu issue than a motherboard issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just installed 2607. Booted ok with optimized defaults - now have some of my modifications in, with no adverse events. Will keep you posted.

Joe

441 - 460 of 480 Posts