Overclock.net banner
901 - 916 of 916 Posts

· Registered
4,282 Posts
I think my x570 TUF is dying. After being the most stable system I've ever had... The past month+ it's exhibited weird behavior that has become progressively worse. To the point now the system is crashing every 30 minutes to 2 hours. Nothing shows in event viewer and no BSOD'S or anything to show the error.

System just goes blank and reboots when IDLE or doing light work like streaming Netflix. Usually my nvme disappears from the bios. Sometimes during the reboot after the crash it hangs on POST or Windows log in screen. I thought the nvme was dying but I took it out and booted off a different W10 install on an ssd. Same thing happened after 4 hours of use.

Tried cmos resets and all stock everything, didn't help. Tried both m.2 slots. Only two things left to try is a BIOS update but I've been on same BIOS for year+ no issues... Why now? And try unplugging ALL sata drives to try nvme by itself. Maybe one of the ssd is causing it?

It's like the motherboard is losing the ability to handle sata drives. Like they just disappear while using the pc. I don't know. I'm at a loss.

Edit: Got home from work booted to secondary win10 install on one of my SSD's. Took a dump within 3 minutes. Boot up again, dump within 3 minutes. Removed ALL Sata drives and ran off ONLY nvme. Worked for ~3 hours then took a dump. Updated BIOS to latest 4403 and still running ONLY nvme... Waiting to see if it takes a dump again. There's about 4 months left on the warranty but I hear Asus is a total nightmare to deal with.

Edit 2: It took a dump on new BIOS too :/

· Registered
9 Posts
I think my x570 TUF is dying. After being the most stable system I've ever had... The past month+ it's exhibited weird behavior that has become progressively worse. To the point now the system is crashing every 30 minutes to 2 hours. Nothing shows in event viewer and no BSOD'S or anything to show the error.

System just goes blank and reboots when IDLE or doing light work like streaming Netflix. Usually my nvme disappears from the bios. Sometimes during the reboot after the crash it hangs on POST or Windows log in screen. I thought the nvme was dying but I took it out and booted off a different W10 install on an ssd. Same thing happened after 4 hours of use.

Tried cmos resets and all stock everything, didn't help. Tried both m.2 slots. Only two things left to try is a BIOS update but I've been on same BIOS for year+ no issues... Why now? And try unplugging ALL sata drives to try nvme by itself. Maybe one of the ssd is causing it?

It's like the motherboard is losing the ability to handle sata drives. Like they just disappear while using the pc. I don't know. I'm at a loss.

Edit: Got home from work booted to secondary win10 install on one of my SSD's. Took a dump within 3 minutes. Boot up again, dump within 3 minutes. Removed ALL Sata drives and ran off ONLY nvme. Worked for ~3 hours then took a dump. Updated BIOS to latest 4403 and still running ONLY nvme... Waiting to see if it takes a dump again. There's about 4 months left on the warranty but I hear Asus is a total nightmare to deal with.

Edit 2: It took a dump on new BIOS too :/
I would check the power supply too

· Registered
4,282 Posts
I put a 6800 XT in my VR PC (this is a different PC from the X570 TUF) and changed the 1070 Ti for the 1080 that was in the VR PC. Gamed for 4+ hours straight last night 0 issues, perfect. Go to bed leaving a TV stream going... While I'm asleep it black screens and reboots like it has been doing month+. Literally only thing left is mobo, CPU(5800X), RAM, and PSU(HX750i).

I can torture test PSU, benchmark, and game for hours no issue so doubt the PSU is the issue. Haven't tried a CMOS battery. Odd if that's the problem as I've had mobos for 5+ years running never needed a battery. This one has been running since 2/2020.

I'm looking at other mobo's already but unfortunately I'm tied to Asus due to the monoblock. Have to find boards with VRM and hole spacing layout identical to X570 TUF Plus. So far that's Strix-e, TUF PRO, TUF PRO II, and B550-F Strix Gaming.

Edit: Put CMOS battery in from an Asus 970A Pro Gaming Aura... We'll see what happens. PC still can game for hours but leave it idle for any extended period of time and it black screens into a reboot, often freezing on windows login screen.

Edit2: It made it through the entire night but black screened and froze on reboot sometime while I was at work... Yay, fun times.

· Registered
4,282 Posts
I moved on to strix x570-e wifi II. Moved all my watercooling and mono block from the TUF to the strix.

Weird thing is the random reboots went away for about 5 straight days right before switching to the strix. I have no explanation and no clue what caused it. How could it random reboot every single day sometimes multiple times for month straight then just stop? Will see how it goes with the strix...

· Registered
48 Posts
Were the issues during a heat wave?

QB

· Registered
48 Posts
Hmm... sketchy power, high temps... maybe the PSU is having issues. I had a PSU that would shut the system down randomly, I think it had a faulty Over-Temp sensor that would trigger randomly.

QB

· Registered
4,282 Posts
Not sure what the temps outside have to do with it? AC is 76F in summer, always. And like I said before it games for hours non stop no problem. Only reboots randomly at idle or say streaming Netflix.

No issue so far with the new strix mobo.

· Registered
2 Posts
I just upgraded from 1407 to 4403 because I would ultimately have to when i move on to 5800x3d or 5900x (and because I was under the mistaken impression it would have PCH fan control and I am tired of LibreHardwareMonitor existing and running on my PC for the sole purpose of setting the PCH fan). I didn't find any obvious complaints and issues about this 4403 bios with a very quick search.

Big fail: I didn't have to upgrade right now, it didn't do anything for the PCH fan, and totally screwed with my overclock.

On 1407 I had (probably golden sample) r5 3600 (not x) running at 1900mhz FCLK with SOC 1.12V and Ballistix 3600cl16 ram at 3800mhz (with no change in timings at all). This was memtested, stress tested beyond any reasonable use and used for months in 35 celcius weather this summer. Not one issue (CPU running 4.2Ghz all core at 1.2v, though it can go stable and safe at 4.35Ghz, but it's not worth the extra heat to me).

Going to 4403, first I had to bump the SOC voltage to 1.13V for it to even boot, I assumed this was all, but I had Diabotical crash on me first time ever in 6 months and the system wouldn't boot without reseting bios (***?! When finding rock stable settings I was over mere "it will boot" voltages by over 0.1V for ram, 0.04V for SOC and 0.04V for CPU) I bumped SOC and RAM voltages a minimal amount but I crashed 20mins later again. I left the bumped voltages but took the ram down to 3733 and FCLK down in line with that and I didn't get a crash in about 50mins, but I completely lost sound till I reset the game at one point. (note: I had wierd sound issues before crashes, every time, these were less intense and took longer to come on as I approached "new improved bios stability".

I didn't feel comfortable bumping the voltages more for long term use, so I just decided to just put the ram back to default 3600mhz cl16 and IC to 1800mhz with auto 1.1V SOC and appropriately reduce the voltages again. Everything worked absolutely perfectly again... except before the bios update everything worked absolutely perfectly at 3800mhz with identical timings and 1900mhz IF.

Lesson (already known but not followed): never update a bios/any firmware/anything computer related whatsoever, unless you have a real problem with what you currently have.

· Registered
2 Posts
The fan on this mobo is absolutely awful, it's louder than my entire rest of my system by a long way, it's cutting piercing disgusting din is absolutely repulsive. The whole thing is a pathetic piece of non engineering. A complete disgrace of a heatsink, completely useles garbage.

Does anyone know of anyone offering aftermarket fans or heatsinks for this motherboard? I've seen one custom passive solution which is just a 1 off but far superior to the supplied inactive cooling joke. I've also heard of people getting a new fan and those not being too bad, any links to where I might be able to get something? :)

I found libre hardware monitor can actually control the chipset fan (and that it runs cooler with the shroud off in my case), however I would like a real solution if anyone is aware of one (except "never buy a motherboard with a fan on it again, what kind of idiot were you to assume that it couldn't be that bad at this price")

· Registered
4,282 Posts
I just upgraded from 1407 to 4403 because I would ultimately have to when i move on to 5800x3d or 5900x (and because I was under the mistaken impression it would have PCH fan control and I am tired of LibreHardwareMonitor existing and running on my PC for the sole purpose of setting the PCH fan). I didn't find any obvious complaints and issues about this 4403 bios with a very quick search.

Big fail: I didn't have to upgrade right now, it didn't do anything for the PCH fan, and totally screwed with my overclock.

On 1407 I had (probably golden sample) r5 3600 (not x) running at 1900mhz FCLK with SOC 1.12V and Ballistix 3600cl16 ram at 3800mhz (with no change in timings at all). This was memtested, stress tested beyond any reasonable use and used for months in 35 celcius weather this summer. Not one issue (CPU running 4.2Ghz all core at 1.2v, though it can go stable and safe at 4.35Ghz, but it's not worth the extra heat to me).

Going to 4403, first I had to bump the SOC voltage to 1.13V for it to even boot, I assumed this was all, but I had Diabotical crash on me first time ever in 6 months and the system wouldn't boot without reseting bios (***?! When finding rock stable settings I was over mere "it will boot" voltages by over 0.1V for ram, 0.04V for SOC and 0.04V for CPU) I bumped SOC and RAM voltages a minimal amount but I crashed 20mins later again. I left the bumped voltages but took the ram down to 3733 and FCLK down in line with that and I didn't get a crash in about 50mins, but I completely lost sound till I reset the game at one point. (note: I had wierd sound issues before crashes, every time, these were less intense and took longer to come on as I approached "new improved bios stability".

I didn't feel comfortable bumping the voltages more for long term use, so I just decided to just put the ram back to default 3600mhz cl16 and IC to 1800mhz with auto 1.1V SOC and appropriately reduce the voltages again. Everything worked absolutely perfectly again... except before the bios update everything worked absolutely perfectly at 3800mhz with identical timings and 1900mhz IF.

Lesson (already known but not followed): never update a bios/any firmware/anything computer related whatsoever, unless you have a real problem with what you currently have.

Early on when I upgraded from a 1xxx bios to maybe a 3xxx it required a SOC increase too. Old settings were completely unstable. Don't remember anyone else mentioning a SOC increase though, just me. Maybe they were already running more than enough SOC while I was running the minimum to be stable while new BIOS required more.

901 - 916 of 916 Posts