Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, you bought that shiny aluminum asus despite all those negative reviews.
The thing is as wannabe macbook as can be got for a low price, and its got (maybe) an i3!
Wow!
Maybe even an Ivy Bridge one!

But here's the kicker: it sucks. and bad.

So maybe you got it on ebay from a less than manufacturer approved seller and dont care about no warranties nohow anywho.

So you crack the thing open.

The gates of heating hell open and there it is: the copper baseball card they call a cooler that was fused with an unfortunate fan like something out of "The Fly".

This is not a cooling system, its an overheating system.

Long story short, I was in the market for a computer when I bought/burdened this, AND I SHALL HAVE ONE!
So without further ado;

INTRODUCING:

THE PLIGHT OF CHEAP ASUS IN LITTLE KNARFTOWN

To start with, all i attempted was to swap the thermal paste to arctic silver 5 (a polysynthetic silver sold by radioshack) however that yield nothing but to delay the time it took for heat to overtake the laptop (to be expected however it only added about a minute to overheat time.)

The next on my box of trick's inventory list was to add a metal grill to the output of the fan; AS NO SUCH HEAT DISSIPATION EXISTED (PS: I FIND THAT RIDICULOUS) and perhaps that method does have merithink the Det, as it could not be tested for long before the fan somehow snagged on the vent metal tape, and lost nearly all of its fins.

I was unfazed. My soul dead and cold from too many cooling mishaps; I pushed forward and purchased another fan/cooler from ebay for a "telling" price (considering it was 5 bucks and the shipping was 97 cents, despite being new) The key difference being that it was a Delta fan, whereas the "original" was a Sunon fan. I personally think the delta performs better because I hate sunon. (if they only made better k53ta fans....)

If you are as crazy as I am about laptop cooling, you may want to hold on to something. This is gonna get pretty experimental (Read: ITS CUTTING EDGE DESPERATION!!!).

I tried enamel binding the cooler to metal fins on the exhaust, turning the rectangular intake on the bottom into a air maze, Exacto-knifing the plastic under the fan away, adding a metal mesh to the intake hole and soldering it to the cooler, taping aluminum foil to the plastic cover on the inside bottom of the laptop, stuffing an extra fan in the chassy and soldering it straight to the power jack at 9.5 volts over the rating, swapping the aluminum foil with 3 layers of metal vent duct tape, using (s3 super savage approved!) 1999 ibm gpu thermal pads and rubber bands to create a "copper card sandwich", and finally, using both the old and the new coolers to make a "Double Copper Card Cooler" binded at the cpu indent with artic silver 5.

That is probably a lot to take in at once, but all but the vent tape, the cpu bottom fan intake, and the double copper card cooler were losers, so forget about them, unless I just implemented it badly that is.

Next up, after i got my tripple play of cooling mods in order, i needed to do something about the dismal fan speed. i knew it could go faster I said, its a delta! (BIAS WARNING!
thumb.gif
)

So, i pulled out my good friend RW everything and started poking around the EC.
A LOT.
And eventually after countless windows "YOUR COMPUTER NO WORK NOW!" warnings, and multiple BSOD screamers,
the keys I found proved to be useful.
AND I figured out a way to implement it! (Frank Zappa and desperation are the mothers of invention!
wink.gif
)

After I figured out 2E was a key (less dangerously fast than the other less stable few) that worked, I figured out (through poking around in RW everything and NFC) if I set the numerical range to 99 and changed Notebook Fan Control to use Word Bytes, 46.5% fan speed would write 2E to the register after ( or the same depending on whatever byte string size its using) the 0 to 8 default fan speed. for whatever reason (hopefully someone here knows, if not i don't really care I suppose) the fan speed revved up... Significantly.

So I added it all to a NFC profile and bam, when it hits 75C the "turbo 2E injector" (as I call it
tongue.gif
) kicks in, and the fan speed kicks up a plethora of notches and it (more or less) never hits above 84C.... (mostly....)

Its not perfect, but im content with it for now, and I would like to share, at the very least, the NFC profile that speeds things up with overclock, and ask if there are other situations of adding characters to the end of the string, that speeds thing past 100% stock fan RPM.

Alright, LINK TIME. (pardon my awful videos... I haven't an excuse for you. Really.) I also use THE BAD WORDS, so no 12-year-olds allowed.

DECENT VIDEO OF FAN SPEED DIFFERENCES WITH 2E INJECTOR, STILL BAD THOUGH

FAILED (EXCESSIVELY LOUD AND DUMB) POWER BRICK INTERNAL 2ND FAN MOD (WITH 2E INJECTOR) RUSHED VIDEO

TERRIBLE (SORRY) VIDEO SHOWCASING THE SOFTWARE CONFIG AND RW EVERYTHING REGISTERS USED AND KINDOF WHY ISH (PS: IDK REALLY)

(USE AT YOUR OWN RISK ... PROBABLY FINE THOUGH ... NOT MY FAULT IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG THOUGH) FAN CONTROL PROFILE WITH 2E INJECTOR FOR x202e/s200e/q200e

Well, thats about it.
I think.
Ask if you want pics of something... i got quite a few in case anyone cares... missing some, but I can see what i can do if you ask.

HURRAY FOR FIX'R'UP'R'S!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice, write up. I know this is old but my vivo book just started over heating and shutting down while i was running visual studio or docker. Out of curiosity is your vivo book still alive? Ive been thinking about slapping an ssd on mine and making it a ubuntu machine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts