Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I see it supports up to 128GB mem, which is great. I guess this would be 64x2 sticks?
The ones I see compatible with this mobo is from Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/rog-rampage-vi-extreme/CT11570883

I guess I can get 2 sets of these to make it 128GB but it is DDR4-2666. I am wondering where I can get DDR4-4200 that is available up to 128GB and compat with this motherboard? is it worth it?

next question: Since I am not a gamer or anything and know "water cooling" is this trend or "cool" thing, but can the motherboard accept CPU heat sinks and fans? or MUST it be water cooling only?

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
Hi,
x299 is a quad channel platform 4x32gb=128gb kit don't use 2 kits :)
2666 is shooting pretty low frequency wise
3200C14 would be best

CPU is a whole different story and yes water cooling would be needed
But worst is a delid as well and you might get by with a cheaper option closed loop like corsair h115i pro or similar.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/18068-silicon-lottery/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I am still "in training" with new concepts (to me at least) since the computer I built was maybe 5-6 years ago.

Wow, so water cooling is compulsory? I am not going to OC - I never do in fact.

What if one was to change components and you had the water cooling system - would it be ok to lay the desktop computer on its side with the water cooling system still in place?

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Yes, it supports up to 128GB ... but do you actually need that amount of RAM? A 32GB kit would be much cheaper and is more memory than most people need.

Corsair doesn't have 3200C14 128GB kits. The best they have is C16.
G.Skill does have three 3200C14 128GB kits according to their site.
Other brands may have some, but those are the most common.

Which CPU will you be getting? That will determine whether or not you actually need AIO/water cooling. The lower-level X299 CPUs should be fully usable on air when not overclocked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I do need lots of RAM. I do ALOT of IT work and VM's and software development...

I will be getting the i9 extreme

much difference between the 2166 and 3200?

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts