Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Desperate for answers here.

GPU is EVGA Geforce GTX 1080ti SC2.
The board is an X399-E, but all boards should be similar as far as the BIOS is concerned.

Did the Nvidia update to support DP 1.4 a while ago. System worked fine for weeks? I think. Was playing around with a few settings in the UEFI. Upon reboot, the Q-Code LED flashes different colors as it goes through post, then lands on white. The LED says 0C, which of course is undocumented. Once this happens, ONE of the fans of the 1080ti stops spinning, the other one continues spinning.

Things I've tried:
1) Tried making sure the GPU was plugged in firmly in the slot.
2) Switched the GPU to a different slot.
3) Tried a different monitor and monitor interface.
4) Tried a different GPU power cable.
5) Tried the GPU in a different Machine (GPU works in that machine, but oddly enough not in 'UEFI mode' under the BIOS. It also oddly enough gave a GPU error code. However with legacy mode selected and booting off a UEFI thumb drive it worked fine.
6) Tried a different GPU (Radeon 6970), same error. However, I did not test this GPU in the different machine. I might do that tomorrow.
7) Tried clearing CMOS multiple times. Same error. I turned off the machine, turned the power switch off, took out the battery for 20 minutes with system unplugged and tried both jumpering the reset CMOS jumper and using a metal object for about a minute. No change.
8) Tried BIOS flashback multiple times with multiple flash drives. Failed and gave solid blue light. Should be FAT32, correct?
9) tried re-seating CPU. Checked for bent pins. no bent pins. No luck.
10) Double checked all power connectors (The X399-E uses an 8/4 CPU power connector in addition to the 24 pin vs 8/8 on the Zenith Extreme).
11) Oh I also took out all RAM sticks except 1.

Finally, to top it all off, I decided to try again to re-seat and clean the CPU + cooler. While I was cleaning off the thermal goop, some fell off the rag onto the socket...I used a small brush normally used for cleaning braces to clean it off.
At the very end I *MAY* have bent 3 pins. However the system still booted with the same error. As a result, I suspect ASUS will give me an issue with RMAing this board. However, if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to anything. I have also posted this in the graphics section, but this may be a more appropriate forum. System was running fine for a month. Previous board is an MSI and I will be RMAing that board (fell off the table I was working on and the cooler smashed a bunch of pins...apparently MSI will send a recertified board to you when you return the original for $45 for bent pins, so I may go that route if I can't figure this one out).

P.S. Linus from Linus Tech Tips would be proud.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FINALLY found a drive that worked with BIOS flashback. I was able to flash back to BIOS 0503, which reset CMOS settings to defaults. Once that happened, the system booted. This indicates to me that ASUS has the same problem as MSI when it comes to threadripper. They don't zero out CMOS, but rather do a dirty clear that leaves data left over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts