Overclock.net banner

1261 - 1280 of 1307 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
* you can thank the ceo so said that threadripper was a disappointment and the only real growth the company has is on the server side since asus only has about "1%" however they measured that number
Heh, ASUS components in a server.. No thanks.
It may be something for one-off builds or custom workstations, but they will never be able to get any part of the market at a big company with professional datacenters.
RGB and bling-bling is not something for a DC, where performance, reliability, power consumption and cost are the major selling points.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Heh, ASUS components in a server.. No thanks.
It may be something for one-off builds or custom workstations, but they will never be able to get any part of the market at a big company with professional datacenters.
RGB and bling-bling is not something for a DC, where performance, reliability, power consumption and cost are the major selling points.
I don't know what your talking about I think every IT team wants to turn every server room into a dance party room

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know what your talking about I think every IT team wants to turn every server room into a dance party room
I'd like a little bit better single core speed on the next Threadripper. Not sure if I want 64-cores. My 32 is total overkill.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
If anyone is trying to upgrade to Windows build 1903 and is unable to do it meaning of keeps failing and rebooting and undoing the update try disabling the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and your bios

I ended up doing a clean install and it failed to boot into Windows for an unknown error after that I disable the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and the install went fine.

I suspect that I didn't need to do a clean install but only needed to disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth because the 1903 update is almost like a fresh install of Windows

This is advice for those that have a zenith extreme alpha motherboard

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
1901 BIOS (ZE)

Hi,

Has anyone tried out the new 1901 BIOS for the ZE (not Alpha) board?

I cant find a change log anywhere either, does anyone have any info on what the new BIOS has to offer?

EDIT: I wonder if they have fixed the temperature issue mentioned here, where temperature reporting is wonkey when "Overclocking Enhancement" is Enabled/Auto and "Core Performance Boost" is Enabled/Auto when trying to overclock your CPU, or load the 4GHz overclock profile in the BIOS.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
EDIT: I wonder if they have fixed the temperature issue mentioned here, where temperature reporting is wonkey when "Overclocking Enhancement" is Enabled/Auto and "Core Performance Boost" is Enabled/Auto when trying to overclock your CPU, or load the 4GHz overclock profile in the BIOS.
Extreme Tweaker > Overclocking Enhancement [Disabled]
Extreme Tweaker > Tweakers Paradise > Sense MI Skew [Disabled]

I set above on all ZE UEFIs (last used was 1701, had setup since launch) and never encountered issue on CPU temperature, may that have been stock 1950X + OC RAM or OC 1950X+RAM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Extreme Tweaker > Tweakers Paradise > Sense MI Skew [Disabled]

What does the above setting do?

Did you have Core Performance Boost set to Enabled/Auto at the same time?

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
When enabled or if [Auto] is defaulting to enabled, it will skew tCTL based on Sense MI Offset.

Core Performance Boost: [Enabled] when CPU stock, [Disabled] when OC'd as have 1950X. If I had a 2xxx series and was doing PBO/PE OC then I'd use [Enabled], if I was doing manual OC then [Disabled]. Regardless of CPU used if manual OC is done, ie +25MHz over base clock, as CPU would enter OC mode it gets disabled even if you try to force it on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Careful with the new 1901 UEFI on the Zenith Alpha board (perhaps the same applies to original Zenith). One user reported exacerbated memory issues with this release. Not sure if flashback is possible. I do not dare test ATM because I need my machine to work.
Thanks.

Too late, I'm trapped :no-smile

p1.jpg

They add the change log:
Version 1901
2019/06/115.67 MBytes
ROG ZENITH EXTREME BIOS 1901
Improve hardware monitoring compatibility with 3rd party applications.
Fixed a boot issue when using a Quadro K6000 GPU.
" Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (ZE.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.''

I found another problem ...

[Bluetooth] can’t send files to computer from smartphone
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...puter-from-smartphone?forum=win10itprogeneral

·
Registered
401 Posts
- 1901 broke memory support for Asus line
- New Chipset drivers broke StoreMI support

Well done AMD/Asus Zenith line was already bad as it is now it's just worthless.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,887 Posts
- 1901 broke memory support for Asus line
- New Chipset drivers broke StoreMI support

Well done AMD/Asus Zenith line was already bad as it is now it's just worthless.
I do have to say that I have never seen this level of incompetence. It is downright mind-boggling. How can they be so bad? Are they not qualifying any hardware on these things and just doing the fixes and keeping their fingers crossed for an improvement? Absolutely stunning.

Thanks.

Too late, I'm trapped :no-smile
Flashback to prior release works thankfully. Just download the previous UEFI/BIOS and rename the file to ZE.CAP (for Zenith Extreme) or ZEA.CAP (for Zenith Extreme Alpha), put it in the root of a USB stick and use the flashback function at the back. To flashback:
- machine off, put USB into the appropriate flashback port
- press and hold the flashback button until it starts to blink at a steady rate
- leave alone until it stops flashing
- reboot, clear CMOS, then reboot again and set up your settings once more

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
For me UEFIs so far on ZEA have had minor quirks.

0207 & 0405 both need CPU voltage mode changed from Auto to Offset/+/Auto to have stock clocks/voltages on 1950X. Both attained 3400MHz C15 1T using tightened other timings with SOC: 1.056 VDIMM: 1.355. This is +6mV on SOC & +5mV VDIMM than same CPU/RAM used on ZE.

1901 has the voltage quirk solved. Only issue so far I have had is ASUS TurboV Core v1.02.02 can freeze data under ASUS WMI section of HWINFO. PWM of headers is still reactive, I need to close TurboV and reopen HWINFO to gain back functioning monitoring data under header ASUS WMI. I have done a lot reruns of 3400MHz C14 1T now on 1901. I bumped SOC to 1.062V just thinking it may build some over provisioning in profile, I need at least 1.38V VDIMM to gain POST to OS if use C14 @ 3400MHz, below is longest run so far of RAM Test.

From above I have tweaked:-

tRCDWR from 15 to 14
tRAS from 32 to 30
tRC from 46 to 44
tFAW from 32 to 30
tRFC from 274 to 272

I did bump VDIMM to 1.4V just to over provision for extra stability without testing a lot.

I am also now using a higher bit pattern in the PMU training menu, originally 5 was used for 3400MHz C15/14 and now with more tightening down using 7. Below are result files from 3DM, been get some nice consistent runs now on W10 1903.

View attachment 3DMFS_3400L.zip

·
Registered
19 Posts
OH,NO

Two Days, I found nothing to make the memory stabilize.

I have flashed the 1701-BIOS, unplug the battery on the main board and re-install the battery, it's look like a foolish thing.

:confused:

--------------------------
Edited,

Today, I flashed the 1701-BIOS again, it works. :hmmsmiley

CJR_04.png

·
Registered
23 Posts
1901 Weirdness.

Rog Zenith Extreme Alpha Bios 1901.

O.K I have been striking some very odd problems.

1) Occasional complete power off for no apparent reason.

2) During a run of 3D Mark Time Spy Stress test saw the CPU temperature go to -128 and stay there, BTW at this point the CPU fans both stopped and you could fry and Egg on the cooler.

3) Sometimes on reboot it starts memory training in an very odd manner and eventually after about two mins go's to the oc fail screen, I haven't set any overclock other than specifying the memory as D.O.C.P standard and setting the voltages to 1.35 for my 3200Mhz corsair RGB memory 4 x 16GB.

4) I have found now twice the machine in a powered off state and it will not power on again until the mains power is cut, a count of 5 done and mains power re-established - at which times it boots normally.

At this time considering switching back to the original bios to see if these issues continue there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Rog Zenith Extreme Alpha Bios 1901.
O.K I have been striking some very odd problems.
1) Occasional complete power off for no apparent reason.
2) During a run of 3D Mark Time Spy Stress test saw the CPU temperature go to -128 and stay there, BTW at this point the CPU fans both stopped and you could fry and Egg on the cooler.
3) Sometimes on reboot it starts memory training in an very odd manner and eventually after about two mins go's to the oc fail screen, I haven't set any overclock other than specifying the memory as D.O.C.P standard and setting the voltages to 1.35 for my 3200Mhz corsair RGB memory 4 x 16GB.
4) I have found now twice the machine in a powered off state and it will not power on again until the mains power is cut, a count of 5 done and mains power re-established - at which times it boots normally.
At this time considering switching back to the original bios to see if these issues continue there.
Your problems aren't odd i went thru all above 4. Let me help you.

1. This is due to Asus SW or any "incompatible" monitoring software. Try removing first all asus OC/FAN related SW, you should stop having that.
2. Disable OC Enchancment in BIOS. This lowers temperature of sensor, so to enable greater OC. For me this is just stiupid feature, don't know what braindead engineer designed it.
3. Yep memory settings on this MOBO are nightmare. For me default "clean" BIOS settings do not work. Nether of BIOS presets nor DOCP profile. It took me many many hours to have it working stable @ 3200 or now at 3400. I figured out that on "cold boot" when PC always turn on twice it was always booting @ 3200.
I disabled S3+S5 so it will not put mobo in standby. Now it always boots up at 3200
4. HW monitoring software are not working nicly with this mobo, and they most of the time are causing it. Remove all monitoring SW and you will never experience power off again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i am scared to upgrade 1701 .. maybe i will wait for next one gr.. it cost me weeks to have it working in this state. Playing with OC, voltage, RAM and god know what ..

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,887 Posts
Your problems aren't odd i went thru all above 4. Let me help you.

1. This is due to Asus SW or any "incompatible" monitoring software. Try removing first all asus OC/FAN related SW, you should stop having that.
2. Disable OC Enchancment in BIOS. This lowers temperature of sensor, so to enable greater OC. For me this is just stiupid feature, don't know what braindead engineer designed it.
3. Yep memory settings on this MOBO are nightmare. For me default "clean" BIOS settings do not work. Nether of BIOS presets nor DOCP profile. It took me many many hours to have it working stable @ 3200 or now at 3400. I figured out that on "cold boot" when PC always turn on twice it was always booting @ 3200.
I disabled S3+S5 so it will not put mobo in standby. Now it always boots up at 3200
4. HW monitoring software are not working nicly with this mobo, and they most of the time are causing it. Remove all monitoring SW and you will never experience power off again.
What ram do you have?

1261 - 1280 of 1307 Posts