Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just upgraded from my older X58 EVGA Classified board, i7 930, and 24G vengeance system.

Kept the psu (Enermax Evo 1050)
kept gpu (Evga GTX 780ti)
kept the SSDs, case and everything else really lol

Cooled by Corsair H100i

I know little to nothing about overclocking THIS setup. I had my older rig running around 3.4 daily and stable with an H80 cooler.

What should i look for, guides for OCing this? Thank you guys for your support!

Xann

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
All that really needs to be overclocked is the CPU and GPU.

GPU first, there are plenty of guides out there, but I'll cut it down for you. For Kepler cards, overclocking is easier compaired to the older Fermi ones. Download a overclocking utility for your GPU, my favourite is MSI Afterburner, as well as 3DMark, 3DMark Firestrike, Unigine Heaven and Valley for validating your overclock.

The overclocking method is simple. First we have to start with either the memory or core, I like the memory first. Find the highest memory clock without starting to see random blocks of colour or objects not rendering properly. I recommend going up about 25-50MHz at a time. Once you found that threshold, back down about 15-20MHz and write down your offset setting. Validate this by using Unigine Heaven, or Valley (preferably Heaven)

Next the core, put the memory on 0 offset and start to work the core speed. Same thing with the core, work up the speed 25-50MHz at a time. Keep an eye out for random discoloured pixels or stretching, which usually looks like a black triangle stretched like crazy. Once you find a stable core, back down about 10-15MHz. Same validation method.

Now we have to see if your card can handle both the memory and core at their highest speeds. Dial in both your highest core and highest memory offsets and run Heaven. Watch out for artifacts such as blocks, objects that haven't rendered properly, discoloured pixels an stretched triangles. If you do notice them, depending on what kind of artifact it is try lowering either the core or memory offset, try memory first as core yields better performance boosts. Once you find your stable overclock, use both 3DMark tools to get a score and check everything is running well. 3DMark is good for checking final artifacts too.

Finally for the GPU, nothing tests an overclock like a couple hours of gaming, so load your most intensive game (BF4, Crysis 3, etc). If you do see artifacts, follow what the previous paragraph said.

That's the GPU done, and here's the CPU guide, instead of me explaining, I've used this guide previously for my 4790K, and I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great reply! thank you so much for this info. Ive looked into it and on the board im using (X99-A) in the BIOS ive adjusted the AI tweaker and gotten a stable OC of 4.4ghz at 1.15v . As far as the GPU im running, the GTX780ti, Its a PCI-E 3.0 card. and the 5820k is also compatible with this. I want to get the most for daily use without "over" overclocking (Id like to keep the system for a long time. 5 years?) so i dont run into issues later. Is there anything i need to do really for this to take effect? or is it automatic? Thank you for your help!

Xann

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xann27 View Post

great reply! thank you so much for this info. Ive looked into it and on the board im using (X99-A) in the BIOS ive adjusted the AI tweaker and gotten a stable OC of 4.4ghz at 1.15v . As far as the GPU im running, the GTX780ti, Its a PCI-E 3.0 card. and the 5820k is also compatible with this. I want to get the most for daily use without "over" overclocking (Id like to keep the system for a long time. 5 years?) so i dont run into issues later. Is there anything i need to do really for this to take effect? or is it automatic? Thank you for your help!

Xann
No problem! Overclocking on the GPU only affects its lifespan once you start overvolting. So if you want, follow my steps WITHOUT overvolting and you'll be great. 4.4GHz @ 1.15v is an amazing overclock, you have quite a nice chip.. It could probably do 4.8-5GHz under 1.3v
smile.gif
Any other questions let me know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts