Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be using my sig rig for some casual and a bit of MMO gaming, and I want to free up as much of the resources as possible, therefore I don't want my on-board wasting my already weak CPUs power. My uses are gonna be music listening, but mostly gaming as well as recording some musical instruments later on (bass/electric guitar through the Line In jack). Are either of these cards up to that task? And will they both free up my CPU resources?

Both are priced pretty much the same, although I haven't heard of the Asus DG at all, which is why I'm asking here. I only have PCI slots free in my ancient motherboard, but I know that the Creative Audigy has been around for a lot longer (as it's way older, it seems) so if I choose the Xonar, will I have any compatibility problems?

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
I know the Audigy SE is a good card because I own one. In this link you can also see how you can turn it into an X-Fi Xtreme Music just by installing a modded driver:
http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards...it-into-x.html

About the Xonar DG I don't know anything, must be something new.

Dunno how many CPU cycles you're gonna free up, but it could be visible. At the very least you'd end up with better sound quality.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Xonar DG would be the better choice between the Two. Xonar DG does have a headphone amp ,You be better off getting the DG also because of the headphone amp on it for future hp use that might req. so you have it now then having to get a standalone amp later on.

·
Banned
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what does the amp actually do, if you don't mind me asking? I'm a total noob to sound cards, been using on-board for the past 12 years on all my computers so far, so I hope it's a big improvement on the on-board sound.

·
Gone
8,730 Posts
Xonar DG.

The Audigy SE is complete garbage IMO... I had to find and test out modded drivers since creative dosen't know what the hell they're doing.

·
Banned
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylit View Post
Xonar DG.

The audigy SE is complete garbage. Creative actually disabled the equalizer and other crap for windows 7 when they were fully functional in XP...

The xonar DG also has a fully functional headphone amp which can be beneficial to some nice high end cans.
I forgot to mention: I'll only be using either of these cards in XP Pro SP3 and possibly some Linux distros. No Vista or 7.

·
Banned
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylit View Post
Xonar DG.

The Audigy SE is complete garbage IMO... I had to find and test out modded drivers since creative dosen't know what the hell they're doing.
So would the Xonar DG be good enough for recording a bass/electric guitar through the line in jack? Does it run at a good enough frequency for this?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The headphone amp is used to drive headphones that is not getting anouth power from a non amped source. It can have diffent effects when you using a pair that isnt getting driven. It a feature to have even if you dont need it atm. So for a future option.

I dont know about the Xonar DG, I sure it should beable to. I did used to have a eletric guitar that I plugged into the xonar HDAV1.3 when I had it. I had no issue with recording thru the line in.

·
Banned
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man.

I'll see if the Xonar DG is any good and have another search for some reviews of it.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Am* View Post
Thanks man.

I'll see if the Xonar DG is any good and have another search for some reviews of it.
Seeing how it's not released yes means that's going to be problematic.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
IT has been released in other countries but not in the usa yet, Tho it is on ebay if you trust ebay. the Xonar DS was like this, pop up on ebay first then month later in the usa.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Asus Xonar DG is not that great, the headphone amp is weak and wont drive phones loud at all, I would look for something better, or if your in the UK you can buy mine!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts