Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought the Asus Xonar DX soundcard and after installing the drivers and restarting my computer, the sound is absolutely terrible. I have messed around with the Xonar DX audio center but it still sounds terrible.

I am using Sennheiser HD555's and this is how everything is setup:

82282300.png

Can anyone help? I'm really bad with soundcards!

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Did you uninstall the drivers of the old integrated sound card?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Did you disable onboard? Did you plug in to the right port?

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Some will argue that this is how it is meant to sound. You are listening to how the 'artist intended'. Jokes aside, I did not like the DX either. Overrated card, if I am honest!!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
you dont need to disable or uninstall the onboard sound to make it sound better. ive done that many times. no differences. to solve that is to do some tweaking.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingChampion;15241605
Doesn't HF just disable all the equalizer and virtual sound stuff? How does this make it better? I am kinda new to this stuff.
Yes. All those bells and whistles modify the sound in a bad way according to many people, including myself.

Having said that, I had a Xonar DX and thought it was only so-so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How does it sound terrible? And honestly I'm part of the crowd who believe that if you can't hear distortion or the crosstalk then realtek is perfectly fine. RMAA shows a ONE db drop off at 16khz (you aren't gonna hear a 1db drop off) and my hearing falls off after 18khz so it sounds perfectly normal.

I don't see how adding a soundcard could make it sound more "open", less "veiled" and w/e, but its all subjective. I'm a frequency response guy however and when people talk about how adding a soundcard gets rid of all the bloated bass and w/e.... rightmark graph proves them otherwise. Realtek is flat until about 12-14khz.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralRazor;15246210
How does it sound terrible? And honestly I'm part of the crowd who believe that if you can't hear distortion or the crosstalk then realtek is perfectly fine. RMAA shows a ONE db drop off at 16khz (you aren't gonna hear a 1db drop off) and my hearing falls off after 18khz so it sounds perfectly normal.

I don't see how adding a soundcard could make it sound more "open", less "veiled" and w/e, but its all subjective. I'm a frequency response guy however and when people talk about how adding a soundcard gets rid of all the bloated bass and w/e.... rightmark graph proves them otherwise. Realtek is flat until about 12-14khz.
frequency response does not measure distortion!!!
Bloated bass can refer to giving the headphone drivers more power meaning their phase response is better = tighter bass.

·
Gone
8,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingChampion;15243404
Uninstalling the realtek drivers and disabling them via bios did great. I think it actually sounds better now. The environment effects actually work on my headphones now, it didn't work before for some reason. I don't use them, but it works though.
I think that's more along the lines of a placebo effect..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts