Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is my first post in this forum, and its going to be very long for a first post, so bear with me here. i have serious overclocking issues. also consider me a noob, i overclocked my graphics card, once
tongue.gif

windows 10 64bit pro
asus z170p
cm 212hyperx
ripjawsv 3200mhz
adata psu 850w+ssd+gpu etc.
bios version is 408, released september '15, latest version is 705 release march.
windows is in uefi mode i believe. ssd gpt, ahci, no raid here.

primary usage after overclocking: gaming, unreal editor, browsing.

1) i was following tweaktown's skylake overclocking guide+teksyndicate youtube video, it seemed to me that anybody with z170 chipset motherboard can get 4.6ghz-4.7ghz(and maximum uncore ratio) using 1.375-1.38vcore.
okay forget about 4.6ghz. even 4.5ghz is not stable for me at 1.375v, or even 1.38v. I mean, I havent really tried intel xtu or asus realbench stress for 12 hours, its just if i shut down and restart the pc couple of times for once the pc won't show bios screen or boot up, I dont know if it ever boots up coz after 1 minute i turn off the pc and restarts it again. then it shows overclocking failure.

1a) it's not normal for pc to not show bios screen for more than 1 minute after overclocking is it? -_-

1b) is it possible for z170p to get 4.6 or 4.7ghz with an air cooler at all? if yes then is it possible for my 212hyperx?

1c) what voltage should I use to get 4.5ghz or 4.6ghz stable overclock? i already used upto 1.38v for 4.5ghz(still unstable), i can 1.39v for 4.6ghz but i am not sure if i should. if its somehow possible to get 4.6gh at lower voltage i want to avoid 1.39v or more. boy, more than 1.375v really increase the temperature in xtu or realbench stress test exponentially.

2) I can not even properly change vcore milivolts sometimes. example- if i set 1.378v it sometimes rounds up to 1.38v. but most of the time it does not stupidly round up. how to stop rounding up?

3) my casing doesnt have inbuilt speaker, is it necessary to have inbuilt speaker to understand oc problems?

4) whats up with the colors? vccio voltage shows red color after i changed it. some other voltages are of different colors like yellow, pink etc. does this mean vccio voltage is too high and damaging? or should i just ignore it, its all the same?

5) even when overclock is successful, everytime i turn on pc it takes at least 10-20 seconds to show bios screen after i turn on the pc. is this time too long or is it normal for overclocking?

4) do i really need to update bios to latest? i had a really bad experience with bios updating so i don't want to do it unless you can guarantee me bios update will solve all my overclocking problems.

5) how long do i have to stress test? can i asus realbench for 6 hour or intel xtu for 6 hours and be sure overclock is stable? whats the minimum stress test time and what tool i should use? asus realbench, intel xtu, burntest, aida64, occt?
also what is the safe temperature for stress test? stress easily pass 90C ... is it worrisome? in some stress i think it pasts 95 and cause thermal throttling little bit

6) photos- do let me know if you need more information/photos.
here is what i did, set vccsa/io/vram to 1.2/1.2/xmp, set uncore to maximum(equal to multiplier) etc. i am not supposed to touch the pll voltage right?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
1a) it's not normal for pc to not show bios screen for more than 1 minute after overclocking is it? (Post is running it's test New configuration May run to errors.) (Yes.)

1b) is it possible for z170p to get 4.6 or 4.7ghz with an air cooler at all? if yes then is it possible for my 212hyperx? (Yes. More Voltage = More heat. (How hot is too hot for you?)

2) I can not even properly change vcore milivolts sometimes. example- if i set 1.378v it sometimes rounds up to 1.38v. but most of the time it does not stupidly round up. how to stop rounding up? (Nope).

3) my casing doesn't have inbuilt speaker, is it necessary to have inbuilt speaker to understand oc problems? Only if you don't get post screen. Then it will tell what is wrong in beeps.

4) whats up with the colors? vccio voltage shows red color after i changed it. some other voltages are of different colors like yellow, pink etc. does this mean vccio voltage is too high and damaging? or should i just ignore it, its all the same? (In XTC? Once you go past it guideline it may change but they are different to show each one.)

5) even when overclock is successful, every time i turn on pc it takes at least 10-20 seconds to show bios screen after i turn on the pc. is this time too long or is it normal for overclocking? (Once again post is checking everything and might had to get around a error.)

4) do i really need to update bios to latest? i had a really bad experience with bios updating so i don't want to do it unless you can guarantee me bios update will solve all my overclocking problems. (Yes, this very key. (What was your bad experience?)

5) how long do i have to stress test? can i asus realbench for 6 hour or intel xtu for 6 hours and be sure overclock is stable? whats the minimum stress test time and what tool i should use? asus realbench, intel xtu, burntest, aida64, occt?
also what is the safe temperature for stress test? stress easily pass 90C ... is it worrisome? in some stress i think it pasts 95 and cause thermal throttling little bit.

If it's thermal throttling then it protecting it self. So yes a little hot. 90C is not ideal and will cut your cpu lifetime down lot!!!

Also have you tried loosing ram timings? Have you tried different ram speeds?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELmo1989 View Post

1a) (Post is running it's test New configuration May run to errors.) (Yes.)

4) (Yes, this very key. (What was your bad experience?)

Also have you tried loosing ram timings? Have you tried different ram speeds?
1) so do you mean its normal to post to be very long?

4) i bricked bios and went to warranty as asus dont have dualbios...

i have no idea how to lose ram timings... maybe i will try without xmp turned on?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Try setting min & max cache ratios to Auto first, see if that helps with stability & whether you can get higher clocks
Min. CPU Cache Ratio [Auto]
Max CPU Cache Ratio [Auto]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by misoonigiri View Post

Try setting min & max cache ratios to Auto first, see if that helps with stability & whether you can get higher clocks
Min. CPU Cache Ratio [Auto]
Max CPU Cache Ratio [Auto]
i dont think i have option to set them auto? i think by default it was like 40 and 41 and i put them 40 and 41 now... still have same stability issues.

if i set those 2 variable to nothing will it work as auto?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Try blank & hit enter, also try type 'auto' & hit enter. See what it gives you.
If it doesn't work, set both to 41.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by misoonigiri View Post

Try blank & hit enter, also try type 'auto' & hit enter. See what it gives you.
If it doesn't work, set both to 41.
i did it worked but my POST problem isnt completely solved
frown.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts