Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I build computer since more than 20 years, I'm not an hardware guru, I work in a bank as software architect so I'm more into software than hardware, but I know how to assemble my computers.

I buy Asus since more than 20 years, this is a PC running an Asus CUSL2 motherboard with an Athlon XP1800+ with a multiplier unlocked thanks to a silver glu (old overclockers knows what I'm saying).
In 20 years I never had such a bad exprience like this. Asus is not Asus anymore.

Circuit component Computer hardware Electrical wiring Cable Computer case

I'm not here to argue about overclock related issues.
I know that even 1MHz overclock is not guaranteed to work and as such, I don't complain if my mobo does not OC like I would like but I expect that my mobo MUST work at JEDEC/stocks frequency.

Asus has a design flaw with Z690 Extreme when running 4 sticks of memory even a JEDEC specs / stock frequency.

To control the RGB on the Corsair Dominator stick, you need to "Disable SPD Write protection" in BIOS, this is true on Asus mobo only.
If SPD Write is enabled, I can manage the RGB on the RAM and I have the problem.
If SPD Write is disabled (this is the asus default), I can't manage the RGB on the RAM (as expected) but I have no problem.

Corsair doesn't want to assist me because they say that it is a known problem related to Asus mobos and that Asus must fix it.

Asus ignores the problem and delete all posts about issues on ROG forums and they even ban people on Discord server if you simply complain about issues not beeing resolved.

Guys, think twice before buying Asus and if you have the same problem on Z690 Extreme please report it here:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
So Asus are trying to emulate Apple? (And many other companies over the years, to be fair...) Ignoring a problem, deleting posts and/or banning users who complain, saying it's someone elses' fault?

Colour me shocked. Big multinational company refusing to admit fault? Colour. Me. Shocked.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I thought all Alder Lake mainboards had problems with 4 sticks of RAM at XMP? Asus bug may look a little different, anyhow there are always bugs whining wont help. Constructive suggestions may help, if possible to fix.

I would say all manufacturers of motherboards have their issues with customer relations, I sure wouldn't single Asus out, I would say they probably has the best support even if it could be much better.

I've only had Asus since P35, dozens of boards, all solid. Now I use one MSI board for Z690, which by all accounts looks solid too.

·
Registered
719 Posts
XMP is not a given….

·
Registered
55 Posts
1.) XMP speeds are no longer guaranteed to work (especially with 4 sticks) on DDR5 across every mobo. Only if the mobo manufacturer guarantees a specific speed with specific RAM (which rarely happens) would you have a legitimate gripe.

2.) If you found a solution that works and the only drawback is it stops you controlling the RGB, then stop moaning, you found a solution. If you don't like the rainbow puke, just disconnect the LEDs or tape over them. Did you buy the computer to do computational tasks (browsing, gaming, coding etc) or did you buy it to look nice? This fad for RGB everything is distinctively childish if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
1.) XMP speeds are no longer guaranteed to work (especially with 4 sticks) on DDR5 across every mobo. Only if the mobo manufacturer guarantees a specific speed with specific RAM (which rarely happens) would you have a legitimate gripe.

2.) If you found a solution that works and the only drawback is it stops you controlling the RGB, then stop moaning, you found a solution. If you don't like the rainbow puke, just disconnect the LEDs or tape over them. Did you buy the computer to do computational tasks (browsing, gaming, coding etc) or did you buy it to look nice? This fad for RGB everything is distinctively childish if you ask me.
While I'm also Anti-RGB, it's not a good look for this "SPD Write Protect" to affect stability on a $1100 motherboard. I haven't heard much about this with other manufacturers. It's a workaround, and one I wouldn't care about (because **** RGB), but that doesn't make it acceptable.

I would like to see this claim proven by other users. The OP in particular doesn't have the best reputation, but if he has found an issue and ASUS is deleting posts bringing awareness to it.. maybe as a community we should direct fire at ASUS, not the OP.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Various tickets opened to Asus.
Months of waiting on the ROG forums with reps that says that they are looking in it, and after months of waiting they asks if the contacts are clean.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,271 Posts
While I'm also Anti-RGB, it's not a good look for this "SPD Write Protect" to affect stability on a $1100 motherboard. I haven't heard much about this with other manufacturers. It's a workaround, and one I wouldn't care about (because **** RGB), but that doesn't make it acceptable.

I would like to see this claim proven by other users. The OP in particular doesn't have the best reputation, but if he has found an issue and ASUS is deleting posts bringing awareness to it.. maybe as a community we should direct fire at ASUS, not the OP.
Agreed.

I think the issue is pretty clear - Asus didn't test two (2) sets of 2x16 RAM. @OP, I think you're going to continue to have a hard time with Asus because 4 sticks - technically speaking - isn't on the QVL.

Does it justify it? No, especially since the board has 4 dimms and none of the RAM models on the QVL show 4 dims validated. If this is the list -> https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-extreme-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory

·
Registered
55 Posts

Fair point, it's not a good look for an $1100 product but such is the corporate world right now. Don't like it? Vote with your wallet, stop buying ASUS, that is the only thing they will listen to, lost sales. No amount of 'directed fire' is going to make the slightest bit off difference unless maybe one of the big youtube reviewers (e.g. gamer's nexus) picks it up but even then... I feel a previous post in this very thread summed it up pretty well...

So Asus are trying to emulate Apple? (And many other companies over the years, to be fair...) Ignoring a problem, deleting posts and/or banning users who complain, saying it's someone elses' fault?

Colour me shocked. Big multinational company refusing to admit fault? Colour. Me. Shocked.

• Rep+
Reactions: Paradigm Shifter

·
First Time Listener.
45 Posts

Companies do this all the time. I cannot get Vizio and Roku to acknowledge and issue between their 2 devices connected, but it's a known issue. Each company says our product is fine, contact the other company.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually OP's motherboard memory QVL on page #14,.. does indeed list a non-RGB 4x16GB 4400MHz SS C36 kit. CORSAIR VENGEANCE 64GB (4x16GB) DDR5 4400MHz Review & Specs

With all the known stability issues, and the low frequency supported running full-slots on a 4-dim board,.. honestly does anyone truly feel it's a wise decision to buy the only 4-dim kit listed in your QVL and give it a go.

Personally I strongly feel that would be silly, I would be much more optimistic if I needed 64GB system memory buying a 2x32GB kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had issues with their Strix X99 (a few years back) - that's one of their flagship series - it was very finicky, especially for a board that is touted as OC super friendly with lots of options. After a few months, it fried itself (I didn't change a thing, and I didn't overclock it other than use XMP profile). It took weeks to get it replaced and even then it was replaced with a faulty one, which was replaced again. That worked for a few years and then committed suicide. Thankfully it never took another component (I.E. the CPU) with it. I am actually still using a Asus X99 motherboard (a different model) as it saves me from re-installing the OS, and also minimized my cost.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed.

I think the issue is pretty clear - Asus didn't test two (2) sets of 2x16 RAM. @OP, I think you're going to continue to have a hard time with Asus because 4 sticks - technically speaking - isn't on the QVL.

Does it justify it? No, especially since the board has 4 dimms and none of the RAM models on the QVL show 4 dims validated. If this is the list -> ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME | ROG Maximus | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global
I really don't think that we need QVL for running DDR5 at 3.6GHz at JEDEC specs.
the problem is there even at stock frequency and settings that defaults to 3.6GHz.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts