Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently(2-3 months) upgraded my router to a newer 2wire from AT&T, upgrading from a Westell 327W. I ge3t lots of connection drops with the 2wire, more then the Westell, but i still got some with the westell, and slower internet speeds sometimes imo. There is no interference on the line as far as I know, had an AT&T tech come out an check for interference. It's an ADSL connection, 6MBps. My area still has copper, AT&T working on fiber. Pay $60 for 6MB/ps lol.. Any help at all? Should I go with a 3rd party router from like Linksys or DLink.

·

29,532 Posts
What's your connection SNR, attenuation etc like? Go to your modem and find out, it should be somewhere under the diagnostics tab (you might have to click a button for it to show up first). Paste everything you see.

·
Banned
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does not do diagnostics on the router. Only on the connection. Every time I try to test I lose connection and It fails, but when running normally it says this:

DSL Synchronization:UP
G.DMT Signal:UP
PVC Connection:UP
PPPoE Service:UP
PPP Authentication:UP

This is an AT&T issued router. It doesn't do much other then get me internet.
IP Connection:UP
DNS Communication:UP

·
Registered
776 Posts
i am getting the exact same problem with a 2 wire router. I had a westell, and it didn't drop connections. This one does. The worst part is, after the 30 seconds it drops it, it will make you restart your browser just to browse again!

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
2wire modem/router you get from at&t are crap. you hear problems with them alover the internet. i would recommend getting a speedstream 4100 off ebay. i have 2 accully (1 is modded) and never have had a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,420 Posts
AT&T sent me a pos 2Wire modem when I moved here, and it had the same problems you're describing. They're just crappy imo. I called AT&T and they sent me a different, simpler Motorola modem, and this one's been more reliable by far.

·
Banned
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO should I call and try to get a Motorola one? Is their a nmae for it so I can go look at it's pics or something?

·
Unimportant
17,772 Posts
I have to put in a vote for the speedstreams, they are super fast. I had one die after about 4 years of constant use. The other one still works and is over 3 years old.

·

29,532 Posts
TDC (biggest telco in Denmark) only uses Speedstream modems. To demonstrate their stability, my grandparents have had the same one not being turned off for almost 5 years.

·
Premium Member
4,420 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [Teh Root] View Post
SO should I call and try to get a Motorola one? Is their a nmae for it so I can go look at it's pics or something?
It's up to you, but it's been working a lot better for me compared to the 2Wire one. Be sure to turn it into a bridge (it has routing capabilities no matter what AT&T says). It's a Motorola (or Netopia) 2210.

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-..._Gateway_US-EN

1 - 12 of 12 Posts