Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:


My reaction -- that's why I practically fell out of my chair -- was that from all the connections I saw, they were basically sweeping up, vacuum-cleaning the Internet through all the data, sweeping it all into this secret room. ... It's the sort of thing that very intrusive, repressive governments would do, finding out about everybody's personal data without a warrant. I knew right away that this was illegal and unconstitutional, and yet they were doing it.

So I was not only angry about it; I was also scared, because I knew this authorization came from very high up -- not only high up in AT&T, but high up in the government. So I was in a bit of a quandary as to what to do about it, but I thought this should be halted.


http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ews/klein.html
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,590 Posts
Nothing new. We've known this for years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,444 Posts
BIg deal.

Funny avatar though, Less Than Jake. Did I do thaaaaat? XD
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,282 Posts
The EFF is currently suing AT&T over this. You can find info on the case here. The government as well as AT&T have tried numerous times to get the case dismissed but it seems that it might just come to a ruling
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,525 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
Already known by most people. But, as pointed out in the article: we're too apathetic to do something about it.

Yeah pretty much...

I figure that if the government finally comes after me for something that they would've only known by spying on me then I'll rise up to the occasion...I'm kind of like a bear, I only eat you alive if you poke me with a stick.

But if anyone figures that the "Constitution" protects us they're just living in a fantasy world.

Also, just a thought, if you don't like ISPs looking at what you're doing on their network (What a concept) then dont get on the network? lol

We're all guilty of something, whats your guys' secret?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nechen View Post
Also, just a thought, if you don't like ISPs looking at what you're doing on their network (What a concept) then dont get on the network? lol

We're all guilty of something, whats your guys' secret?
Oh noes! But without the network, I won't have access to Windows hotfixes, or WoW, or wikipedia! The only sites I could get into would be TPB and chinese ones!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
Oh noes! But without the network, I won't have access to Windows hotfixes, or WoW, or wikipedia! The only sites I could get into would be TPB and chinese ones!

exactly lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by dangerousHobo
View Post

Nothing new. We've known this for years.

even so... its nice to get a firsthand/insider account as to how it happened. kind of like a history lesson- i dunno maybe you knew all of this already, i knew what was happening in general, but not the specifics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
I don't seem to have the attention span to read all that crap...
Can somebody sum it up please. "i heard this and that and it seems / appears" *** too much speculation
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,244 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by b3rg
View Post

I don't seem to have the attention span to read all that crap...
Can somebody sum it up please. "i heard this and that and it seems / appears" *** too much speculation

AT&T is spying on you on you have no control over it because they've been doing it for years.

AT&T is my major complaint about the iphone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,202 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by rabidgnome229
View Post

The EFF is currently suing AT&T over this. You can find info on the case here. The government as well as AT&T have tried numerous times to get the case dismissed but it seems that it might just come to a ruling

Should also be suing the FBI and Microsoft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ElMikeTheMike
View Post

ANOTHER anti-goverment thread???

Guys, enough is enough. Go overclock something.

So?
The government is messing up and taking away our civil rights, don't tell me you 'd rather use a computer then have any thought of that...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,000 Posts
Well yeah it is our right to privacy but why the hell is everyone SO concerned over every dang thing that involves our privacy? If your so concerned about your privacy why? Are you doing something illegal? If so the government has every right to find that out.

For the record i am not anti-rights or any crap like that but its ridiculous how theres all this hoopla everytime theres something like this surfaces..

If you have an obsession with privacy then put all your illegalz on an external drive. Goodness.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,525 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Higgins
View Post

Well yeah it is our right to privacy but why the hell is everyone SO concerned over every dang thing that involves our privacy? If your so concerned about your privacy why? Are you doing something illegal? If so the government has every right to find that out.

For the record i am not anti-rights or any crap like that but its ridiculous how theres all this hoopla everytime theres something like this surfaces..

If you have an obsession with privacy then put all your illegalz on an external drive. Goodness.

You clearly don't see how things work.

There's about 5 people that control more than 20% of the economy of the entire US. Now, lets say you're a genius inventor, and you make a highly efficient solar panel that has 82% efficiency...or a paint that absorbs energy just like a solar panel would, but can direct electricity to a central point. Lets say your company is ready to market these panels or solar paint stuff.

You pose a threat to one of those five high up people: Lets say one has a 60% share in an oil company valued at $3,000,000,000,000, and he'd rather not lose it. He will use his connections to know everything about you: Where you live, everything you say on the phone, anything you do at a computer. Heck, if he's well enough connected, and you pose a big enough risk, he could even have spy satelites watch your every move.

After he knows everything about you and your genius invention...he will offer you millions of dollars to keep silent. I suggest you take him up on the offer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,202 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kramy
View Post

You clearly don't see how things work.

There's about 5 people that control more than 20% of the economy of the entire US. Now, lets say you're a genius inventor, and you make a highly efficient solar panel that has 82% efficiency...or a paint that absorbs energy just like a solar panel would, but can direct electricity to a central point. Lets say your company is ready to market these panels or solar paint stuff.

You pose a threat to one of those five high up people: Lets say one has a 60% share in an oil company valued at $3,000,000,000,000, and he'd rather not lose it. He will use his connections to know everything about you: Where you live, everything you say on the phone, anything you do at a computer. Heck, if he's well enough connected, and you pose a big enough risk, he could even have spy satelites watch your every move.

After he knows everything about you and your genius invention...he will offer you millions of dollars to keep silent. I suggest you take him up on the offer.

Not the most accurate example but yeah that is pretty much it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,282 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Higgins
View Post

Well yeah it is our right to privacy but why the hell is everyone SO concerned over every dang thing that involves our privacy? If your so concerned about your privacy why? Are you doing something illegal? If so the government has every right to find that out.

For the record i am not anti-rights or any crap like that but its ridiculous how theres all this hoopla everytime theres something like this surfaces..

If you have an obsession with privacy then put all your illegalz on an external drive. Goodness.

You don't have to be doing anything wrong for people with free reign over your personal information to harm you. Just ask Valerie Plame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,463 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kramy
View Post

You clearly don't see how things work.

There's about 5 people that control more than 20% of the economy of the entire US. Now, lets say you're a genius inventor, and you make a highly efficient solar panel that has 82% efficiency...or a paint that absorbs energy just like a solar panel would, but can direct electricity to a central point. Lets say your company is ready to market these panels or solar paint stuff.

You pose a threat to one of those five high up people: Lets say one has a 60% share in an oil company valued at $3,000,000,000,000, and he'd rather not lose it. He will use his connections to know everything about you: Where you live, everything you say on the phone, anything you do at a computer. Heck, if he's well enough connected, and you pose a big enough risk, he could even have spy satelites watch your every move.

After he knows everything about you and your genius invention...he will offer you millions of dollars to keep silent. I suggest you take him up on the offer.

Completely agree with you there. Did you know that treasury is not government controled and is actually a private bank? Those few people who run that bank decide our fate and they are responsible for driving down our dollar.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top