Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
x400_678x452.jpg

Quote:
The SanDisk X400 is the flagship model of SanDisk's business/OEM SSD lineup. As the successor to the X300 and X300s, the X400 continues the strategy of combining premium features like encryption and a 5-year warranty with the use of cheaper TLC NAND flash to hit mainstream price points.

The SanDisk X400 is intended to be a relatively high-end TLC drive with performance suitable for the mainstream segment of the SSD market that is still predominantly served by SSDs using MLC NAND. SanDisk has had success in the past with developing TLC SSDs such as the Ultra II that perform much better than they typical value-oriented TLC-based SSD.
Source

I'm seriously considering ditching my two 1TB WD Green drivers for one of this but the performance doesn't look very good.
frown.gif

·
13,090 Posts
This is looking great though for someone who just wants a nice high storage M.2 drive on there SFF build who doesn't need top of the line SSD speeds. This thing is still fast compared to budget 2.5 SSD's and HDD's and priced rather nicely.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have the 256gb version of this in m.2 and it's alright. All of these are sata3 tho so no faster than the 2.5 inch drive. Found that out after I bought it haha. Still nice as a space saver tho. Gonna pick up a 500gb or 1tb Ssd soon for my games. Might be one of these.

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post

Source

I'm seriously considering ditching my two 1TB WD Green drivers for one of this but the performance doesn't look very good.
frown.gif
Even the slowest of the pack would destroy any mechanical HDD (even striped RAIDs)

So the performance is terrific - looking at 500MB sequential read times doesn't really mean anything in the real world unless you're transferring files from one SSD to another within the same PC. That random access time - different dimension than anything running on platters.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Performance looks pretty adequate. Only $229 dollars for a 1TB one on Amazon right now. I'm probably done with mechanical internal HDD's now. I don't even consider mechanical HDD's for laptops anymore. I still have space on my video game HDD but at the end of 2017 I'm buying an SSD. A year ago I bought a Crucial BX100 1TB for $380. Today a 2TB is $700. SSD's are looking better and better everyday.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Thought this might be an nvme pcie drive
guiltysmiley.gif

·
13,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylzer View Post

$229 on amazon

£209/$299 on amazon uk

nice conversion
biggrin.gif
Ouch, even Canada isn't that bad, amazon.ca has it for $309 CAD which is roughly $239 US right now.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:

$229 on amazon
£209/$299 on amazon uk

nice conversion
biggrin.gif
Have to keep in mind that a big part of that price difference are taxes, still a bit overpriced but not as much as would seem at first sight.

Its pretty much how it usually is.

·
Just Lift Bro
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

Have to keep in mind that a big part of that price difference are taxes, still a bit overpriced but not as much as would seem at first sight.

Its pretty much how it usually is.
Whats an example of tax on something like this

5% ?

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
Quote:

5% ?
It varies a lot by location, but you can expect something like 7-12% in sales tax in the US with larger cities tending to be higher. Sales tax is a composite of every overlapping jurisdiction. In some states the rate is calculated based on the location of the point of sale. In others the rate is calculated based on the location of the person buying. The trend is moving toward the latter. You'll pay the state sales tax rate plus the county sales tax rate plus the city sales tax rate all together as one fee. Buy something out in the country and there will be less tax since you aren't paying a city's rate too.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:

5% ?
Tax in the UK is 20% so in the UK the price is $240 + $60VAT

In the US on sites like amazon, I believe tax isn't applied yet, and the amazon.com(US) price is $250 for the M.2 version, thus in reality more expensive than in the UK.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about how the tax works on amazon.com(US).

·
Just Lift Bro
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

Tax in the UK is 20% so in the UK the price is $240 + $60VAT

In the US on sites like amazon, I believe tax isn't applied yet, and the amazon.com(US) price is $250 for the M.2 version, thus in reality more expensive than in the UK.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about how the tax works on amazon.com(US).
Well since it's state/area dependent but let's say hmmm 10% as an average it would maybe come in slightly cheaper $25ish I guess not really a big deal.

Though I was quoting the sata3 version at 229 not m2.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Quote:

$229 on amazon
£209/$299 on amazon uk

nice conversion
biggrin.gif
I noticed this too. At that price you're better off getting the 1TB Samsung EVO, slightly more expensive and way better performance.

·
Just Lift Bro
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voice View Post

I noticed this too. At that price you're better off getting the 1TB Samsung EVO, slightly more expensive and way better performance.
Yeah you are right with that

i have about 500GB of music on a 7 year old wd black

i should probably get something to replace it but i won't need anything quick for storage

i've seen a sandisk 960GB ultra II for £149

which seems a better deal imo tho this is actually cheaper than what i paid for my 850 evo at the time
tongue.gif

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voice View Post

The entire point of this thing is that its a 1TB M.2 drive, and atm. this is the cheapest one that's available.
M.2 Drives are great for SFF builds, laptops, etc. Where 2.5" drives would add unnecessary weight, space or wouldn't fit at all.

So yes, there are 2.5" drives with better price/performance ratios, but that's completely besides the point.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have the tb version in my asrock Z170 gaming itx, inside of an evga hadron. It works great and removes all the cables required with a standard ssd, which is very nice in a sff pc.
thumb.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts