Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read people in a few threads posting gpu's can handle up to 100c ... I'm curious about vrm's. What kind of temps can vrm's handle?

·
Overclocked
3,954 Posts
In general vrms are designed to handle 100-125c. but its not always the case that vrms fry from the high temps. sometimes a high overclock or a high voltage can explode the vrms on the card. Like how it is happening to reference 570s & 590s.

• Rep+
Reactions: adridu59

·
PC Enthusiast
3,516 Posts
I had a HD 5970 before, and when i troubleshoot'ed its problems with fluctuating gpu clocks, i found out The vrm's where reaching 150'C. still worked after i fixed it by placing the thermal pads correctly

·
Registered
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pangeltveit;14216047
I had a HD 5970 before, and when i troubleshoot'ed its problems with fluctuating gpu clocks, i found out The vrm's where reaching 150'C. still worked after i fixed it by placing the thermal pads correctly
Oh....Em....Gee...

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven-1979;14212814
I read people in a few threads posting gpu's can handle up to 100c ... I'm curious about vrm's. What kind of temps can vrm's handle?
Depends on the 'fets. Understand that 'fets suffer from thermal runaway. They get hot, then their electrical output becomes unstable, causing more heat, causing them to get even hotter, etc. Until you see fire/smoke.

·
Retired Moderation
10,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven-1979;14212814
This is a hard question to answer. Each series & cards have their own ceiling of temps that go into unsafe terriroty. Some cards handle heat better than others. There's no straight answer across the board.

A lot of times it has more to do with an over voltage rather than over clocking that causes VRM's to fry.

Also for any card that was pushed to high and fried their VRM, a lot of the times the owners weren't starring at their GPU temp at that moment to be able to answer this question with any accuracy.

Both Nvidia and AMD, each have a ceiling before 'poof'.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Look up the specs of your specific VRMS. Each brand, model and class is different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts