Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this ATA converter that changes a ATA 100 or ATA 130 to a SATA 150...The only problem is it doesn't work...or I don't know how to work it...

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megalomaniac

I got this ATA converter that changes a ATA 100 or ATA 130 to a SATA 150...The only problem is it doesn't work...or I don't know how to work it...

Is the SATA enabled in your bios and have you ran the SATA installation CD that came with your mobo?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the description from the MoBo site:
Serial ATA 150
Serial ATA is an evolutionary replacement for the Parallel ATA storage interface. This new high-speed interface burst data transfer rate up to 150 Mbytes/sec and more flexible power tolerances, cables can be smaller and more efficient.

And here is a link the the converter site http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/serillel_new.php

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

This is the description from the MoBo site:
Serial ATA 150
Serial ATA is an evolutionary replacement for the Parallel ATA storage interface. This new high-speed interface burst data transfer rate up to 150 Mbytes/sec and more flexible power tolerances, cables can be smaller and more efficient.

And here is a link the the converter site http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/serillel_new.php

It looks like you are using an ABIT mobo, and on their mobos there is an enable/disable SATA option in BIOS, make sure that it is set to enable.
And again in the mobo installation packet there is a floopy boot disk labeled SATA Installation, run that disk.

·
Registered
698 Posts
do you have a working windows installation? If you do you might be able to get what you need off the internet, otherwise, yes you have to use the disk.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Do I have to use the disk? I didn't install a floppy drive...I can if I have to

The disk contains valuable configuration information for your SATA, I recommend installing the floppy and running the disk.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Quote:

It came with a CD
....I assume I still need the floppy...

you assume correctly... there is not a way to my knowledge to install without one... hehe... floppy became defunct and SATA brang it back... but it is still necessary because I never found a way to do a true reformat with fdisking...

·
Banned
955 Posts
Quote:

If I get this working I don't have to reformat the HD do I?

Well I wasn't sure your exact situation. Is windows by any chance already installed on the hard drive. Perhaps just enabling the SATA in the BIOS and hooking up the drive with a windows install will cut it. Perhaps not though. I always have a hellacious time installing new hardware. Just try enabling the SATA in the BIOS and hooking the drive to sata... post you results

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HAHA IT'S WORKING AND I DIDNT NEED TO INSTALL A FLOPPY OR ANYTHING ELSE(I already installed the driver before when I was trying to get it to work...)

Thanks for the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts