Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I would like to find out the best way to overclock my Athalon XP 2800 without adding more cooling. I have 2 case fans, one on the gpu, one on the cpu, and one in the psu. Can I safely overclock without more cooling?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp

Hi all, I would like to find out the best way to overclock my Athalon XP 2800 without adding more cooling. I have 2 case fans, one on the gpu, one on the cpu, and one in the psu. Can I safely overclock without more cooling?

Thanks in advance.

Can you? well that depends on what your current cpu temps are. Download a program such as motherboard monitor and check the current temp of your cpu under full load. if it gets to 50C or more dont bother till you upgrade your cooling. BTW you might be supprized how much of a differacne some arctic silver and a bigger heat sink can make

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I downloaded MBM 5, but I can't get a CPU temp. My case is at 32 degrees celsius idle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

I got mine ocd too 2.21 just by bumping uo the fsb,probably could go higher but my mobo has its limitations,my specs will show

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

OK, I downloaded MBM 5, but I can't get a CPU temp. My case is at 32 degrees celsius idle.

Bump your FSB up to 200 and check your temps. That should put you at 2.2 GHZ. If that works fine bump your FSB up one notch at a time between restarts Till she becomes unstable or temps get to high.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Get a Thermaltake Volcano 12 .. it's under $30 and well worth it.
Is your 2800 a "Barton" core??? If your not sure get CPU-Z @ www.cpuid.com to detect it. The Barton is a great OCer... if it's not a Barton you will be very limited.

• Rep+
Reactions: Chipp

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Is it a Barton Core??? There are 2 2800 cores and the AthlonXP core is limited where the Athlon XP Barton core has a lot of OC potential if you have a good FHS (Fan Heat Sink). If it's a Bastron... get this to see if you dont know >CPU-Z @www.cpuid.com and if it's a Barton I highly recommend a godd FHS. I use the inexpensive Thermaltake Volcano 12 which was only $28 via a search on www.pricewatch.com It is an adjustable fan copper HS and works well.

WTHeck... the first wouldnt post and now its there LOL

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I have a Barton. Is this as simple as going into the mobo and changing the multiplyer?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
kinda of but you better watch your temps cuz xp don't have clock throttling and you can easily fry the chip and if you can't see the temps it means mbm can't detect it but you can search on like for mobilemeter and dl the program its a program that tells temps for laptops but it would still work of get everest from www.lavalys.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts