Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if I should OC it.

Have a quad copper heatpipe cooler with 120mm fan and it has only reached a max of 106.7F

I am torn between OC, upgrading to best CPU I can put in the board (m4a88t-m) or new cpu mobo for about $200...

Thoughts?

Need better performance in GTAV

r9 270oc, 650w psu

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
New CPU+Mobo, new FM2+ Athlons are great, performance and OC-wise, and very cheap.
Although your GPU will limit you heavily in GTA5. My heavily OCed 280X struggles.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

New CPU+Mobo, new FM2+ Athlons are great, performance and OC-wise, and very cheap.
Although your GPU will limit you heavily in GTA5. My heavily OCed 280X struggles.
Going for fm2+ is pointless, he's better off getting a phenom x4/x6. More bang for the buck
thumb.gif

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojnikb View Post

Going for fm2+ is pointless, he's better off getting a phenom x4/x6. More bang for the buck
thumb.gif
You are surely joking. The new quad Athlons beat the quad Phenoms, also are much more power efficient, cooler, and OC-able. Not to mention the better scaling with faster RAM.
His mobo doesn't support Phenom x6.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:

You are surely joking. The new quad Athlons beat the quad Phenoms, also are much more power efficient, cooler, and OC-able. Not to mention the better scaling with faster RAM.
His mobo doesn't support Phenom x6.
actually, it does support it (just check asus website). And fm2+ athlons are not that much better to justify the upgrade to another motherboard.
Plus im sure he can get a second hand phenom x4/x6 for the fraction of price of the whole athlon x4+fm2+ combo.

In any case, he's without upgrade path.

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojnikb View Post

actually, it does support it (just check asus website). And fm2+ athlons are not that much better to justify the upgrade to another motherboard.
Plus im sure he can get a second hand phenom x4/x6 for the fraction of price of the whole athlon x4+fm2+ combo.

In any case, he's without upgrade path.
Hm, yes, you are right, it does indeed support x6, for some reason they only show Phenom x3 and x4 on the product landing page.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My suggestion would be to pick up a cheap LGA 1150 socket motherboard, maybe a used Z87 or Z97 board and pick yourself up one of the Overclockable Pentium G3258 CPU's. I'm sure you can find some sort of combo of that sort for $200. My reasoning for this is because the overclockable Pentiums do very well in single threaded based games, but the platform switch also opens up an extremely large upgrade path for you. If you get your Motherboard and CPU for $200 now, you can use the same RAM you have now plus you can upgrade to a cheap i5 or an i7 later down the road if you buy used. You might even be able to sell off the Pentium to recoup some of the cost of the new CPU.

Edit: blind me didn't notice that this is the AMD section, not trying to start a flame war or anything. Although this would probably give the best upgrade path anyway.

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr squishy View Post

My suggestion would be to pick up a cheap LGA 1150 socket motherboard, maybe a used Z87 or Z97 board and pick yourself up one of the Overclockable Pentium G3258 CPU's. I'm sure you can find some sort of combo of that sort for $200. My reasoning for this is because the overclockable Pentiums do very well in single threaded based games, but the platform switch also opens up an extremely large upgrade path for you. If you get your Motherboard and CPU for $200 now, you can use the same RAM you have now plus you can upgrade to a cheap i5 or an i7 later down the road if you buy used. You might even be able to sell off the Pentium to recoup some of the cost of the new CPU.
Given how this is in the AMD section, and not in the general CPU discussion, I would suspect OP wants AMD.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:

Given how this is in the AMD section, and not in the general CPU discussion, I would suspect OP wants AMD.
OH MY BAD!
Hahahaha I forgot to check the section before posting! I have some recommendations anyway though!
I have an Athlon X4 635, which is a tad slower than your quad. I would recommend trying to overclock first and seeing if you are satisfied with your results. If not, or if you are simply looking for a platform switch, I would suggest picking up an FM2+ board and an Athlon 860k. The 860K is basically the highest end APU minus the integrated GPU, and therefore you can pick one up for pretty cheap, around $70 if I remember correctly. It's a nice overclockable quad and the FM2+ platform has some of the newer creature comforts you're missing out on with your current platform. Although, if you are willing to wait a bit, what I would do would be to overclock as much as you can and just wait and save your money for Zen when it drops later this year. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
An overclocked Athlon on FM2+ isn't much faster in games than his CPU overclocked and they are not that good in games like GTA V. His best bet if he wants to buy now is a Haswell i3 and 1150 board, or going Skylake i3, mobo and DDR4 after selling off his current stuff. An i3 4160+h81 board will be within budget without selling though.

Wouldn't really bother with AMD CPUs until Zen, unless you already have an existing board and it's just a drop-in upgrade with like an fx6300 or something.

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
They tend to run pretty cool and get decent overclocks. The average overclock on air at hwbot is about 3.6 ghz .

I have a chip from the same family that has hit 4613 mhz as a validation - on the stock cooler! Amazing.

I'd give it a chance to show you what it has .

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Quote:

OH MY BAD!
Hahahaha I forgot to check the section before posting! I have some recommendations anyway though!
I have an Athlon X4 635, which is a tad slower than your quad. I would recommend trying to overclock first and seeing if you are satisfied with your results. If not, or if you are simply looking for a platform switch, I would suggest picking up an FM2+ board and an Athlon 860k. The 860K is basically the highest end APU minus the integrated GPU, and therefore you can pick one up for pretty cheap, around $70 if I remember correctly. It's a nice overclockable quad and the FM2+ platform has some of the newer creature comforts you're missing out on with your current platform. Although, if you are willing to wait a bit, what I would do would be to overclock as much as you can and just wait and save your money for Zen when it drops later this year. Let me know what you think!
Actually the 880K is the highest currently:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10103/amd-launches-the-a107890k-and-athlon-x4-880k

Nearly all FM2+ Athlons can reach 4Ghz with ease, and some go as far as 4.5 with proper cooling and some luck.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
FX-5000
974 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzylol View Post

i wouldnt go dual core. Some games wont even launch on a dual core
There are fixes for those games.

·
Politically incorrect
9,292 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzylol View Post

i wouldnt go dual core. Some games wont even launch on a dual core
There are fixes for those games.
And it's only going to get worse. Recommending a dual core now is everything but smart. In the beginning even GTA V refused to launch of dual cores and benchmarks have proven that a slow quad easily beats a fast dual core in GTA V, Far Cry, The Devision and most games released the past few months. Dual cores have had their time, time for them to be laid to rest.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

And it's only going to get worse. Recommending a dual core now is everything but smart. In the beginning even GTA V refused to launch of dual cores and benchmarks have proven that a slow quad easily beats a fast dual core in GTA V, Far Cry, The Devision and most games released the past few months. Dual cores have had their time, time for them to be laid to rest.
I agree to this. I recently went from a core 2 duo to a i7 920 at 4.0 to a fx 8350 at 5ghz all within a 5 month stretch. While the dual was fast it just doesnt cut it anymore

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post

You may be able to unlock this chip.

Athlon II X4 640 (ADX640WFK42GR) = AMD Phenom II X6 1405T

http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Unlocking_cores_and_L3.html

At the very least, it may give you L3 cache which would boost your performance.

Good luck.
Yep, thats a very good advice. He already has unlock ready mobo, all he needs to do it try luck and maybe ends up with a +6MB of L3 cache. Or if he's really lucky, with a Thuban die that unlocks to 6 cores..
thumb.gif

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

No need to flame me, I just gave a suggestion for something that would give him a good upgrade path.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts