Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded my PC and need some help figuring out how to OC my new processor.

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Processor: Athlon 64 3000 Winchester
Ram: 512mb PC 3500
Video Card: Leadtek 6800GT

I have gotten it up too about 2ghz but once I take my FSB past 220mhz (HT multiplier at 4) my PC won't boot. I think that it may just be my video card not coming on because I have to hold the power button down for about 5 seconds to shut it off. Either way I have to clear my cmos to get my computer back

I am using a Thermaltake Venus 12 with Arctic Silver 5. Processor is idling at 37° Celsius.

·
Registered
148 Posts
have you tried lowering the mem divider? i have the same MB and Proc and im running @ 9 x 260 2.3ghz with my mem at about 215.

• Rep+
Reactions: Tango

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipmonk010

have you tried lowering the mem divider? i have the same MB and Proc and im running @ 9 x 260 2.3ghz with my mem at about 215.

I have tried setting a memory divider. I believe it said it wouldn't let my RAM go past 400mhz. No luck

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
PC3500 is DDR433, and running 220x9 makes the memory run a 440 which is beyond the memory's rated speed and if you're running too tight of timings and/or not enough voltage it won't boot. You'll also need to add more vcore. You really shouldn't run the memory asynchronously if you can avoid it, and stick to the 1:1 ratio. You should just loosen up the memory timings, add another .1 volts or two to the RAM, and bump the vcore up .025 or .05volts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you

I did not set my max memory frequency correctly before. Got it figured out now.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I pretty much knew they were, but I've read the Winchesters perform slightly better than Socket 939 NewCastles at the same clock speed

·
Registered
148 Posts
tango were you able to get 300 x 8 prime stable? i can run the same thing but prime errors in like a min.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the same MB and was wondering where in the Bios you set the Mem Divider?

I have the AMD64 3000+ 939 proc at 255 x 9. Also, I have OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3 dual channel ram (2 x 512) so what speed should my Mem be at? I think right now it is just at the 255 lvl which puts it at 255 * 2 (510)?

Thanks

Quote:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstar77

I have the same MB and was wondering where in the Bios you set the Mem Divider?

enter the cell menu in the bios and the first item selected at the top is dram config. hit enter and you enter another menu the first item in that list is mem speed this is the mem divider. for some reason they labeled it all weird but basically 200 = 1:1 166 = 4:5 133 2:3 100 = 1:2. so if you ran the 166 divider with your current htt your mem would run at 204. which would allow you to bump up your htt. on the other hand i have heard that your better off w/ 1:1 so if your up to 255 1:1 then you might bench better then if you did 260 4:5.
see what works better.

• Rep+
Reactions: fourstar77

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, you are right, that is not what I was expecting for the naming convention or value. I was looking for 1:1 or something like that.

Quote:

enter the cell menu in the bios and the first item selected at the top is dram config. hit enter and you enter another menu the first item in that list is mem speed this is the mem divider. for some reason they labeled it all weird but basically 200 = 1:1 166 = 4:5 133 2:3 100 = 1:2. so if you ran the 166 divider with your current htt your mem would run at 204. which would allow you to bump up your htt. on the other hand i have heard that your better off w/ 1:1 so if your up to 255 1:1 then you might bench better then if you did 260 4:5.
see what works better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

tango were you able to get 300 x 8 prime stable? i can run the same thing but prime errors in like a min.

Unfortunatley not, just took a SS of the first time it booted with a FSB above 219.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

More core voltage

Already tried that.

I'm pretty sure that I heard my computer laughing at me.

Really wish that I had money for better RAM.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
You and me both...

Well if more voltage doesn't help I'd say you're at the end of your rope.

·
Registered
148 Posts
im running 260 x 9 stock vcore (w mem 5:4 divider) and it was fine in prime for and hour n a half when i got board n stopped testing. since we have the same MB/CPU im surpized you cant do over 219. flasht the bois maybe? Could also be stepping or somethin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts