Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got two laptops im looking at both the same price and config but one has a Pentium M 2Ghz and the other has a Athlon 64 4000+, Which would be faster at games the AMD right? And how does the Pentium M compare to the Athlon 64 4000+? Are they even close? It won’t ever be off an adapter so power consumption don’t matter.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki
If it's for games the video card it comes with would be as if not more important.

But I'm partial to AMD.
Loki is on the button Amd but you must make sure the gpu is up to the job what games are you gonna play on it...if you can give us a link to both

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
the graphics adapter for the laptop is very important, but emember that the AMD 4000+ is = to a 4.0 GHz Intel Pentium (and a 2.6 GHz Pentium M)
so you got a 2.6 Pent. M and a 2 Pent. M....basically (same as amd 4000+ and 2 Ghz Pentium M)

AND definitely...even if graphics adapter is worse......unless it is onboard

can you give me a spec sheet of the two

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Well, I would get the Pentium M. I have one in my lappy running at 1.3 GHz, and it halls arse. If nothing else, it will give off less heat.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
Well, I would get the Pentium M. I have one in my lappy running at 1.3 GHz, and it halls arse. If nothing else, it will give off less heat.
Yes but this is for gaming..Most games have become gpu reliant hence the need for a higher grade of gpu 6800go or 7800go would be ideal but they are only in higher l/p,s .

·
Banned
52 Posts
dude the 4000+ is called the 4000+ because it runs at around 4.0ghz of intel ghz. so thats definately what i recommend

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amd_hardsoftware
AMD 4000+ is = to a 4.0 GHz Intel Pentium
Not true, AMD Athlon 64 4000+ is 4 times faster then a 1GHz Athlon XP. 2.4GHz AMD = 3.6GHz Pentium 4.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if the link will keep the config ill just type it

Alien Ware Aurora m7700
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD Clearview Display with Built-in Camera
VIA K8T890 + VT8237A Chipset
2GB Dual Channel DDR SO-DIMM at 400MHz - 2 x 1024MB
256MB NVidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX
80GB 5400 RPM SATA
Two 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
If it's for a laptop, I would go with the M. Remember if you ever decide to take it on a trip with you (which is essentially what laptops are for) the Athlon will suck all the juice out of your battery. If you really want superior mobility and great CPU performance your best bet is the Pentium M.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by warchief_ryan
I don’t know if the link will keep the config ill just type it

Alien Ware Aurora m7700
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD Clearview Display with Built-in Camera
VIA K8T890 + VT8237A Chipset
2GB Dual Channel DDR SO-DIMM at 400MHz - 2 x 1024MB
256MB NVidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX
80GB 5400 RPM SATA
Two 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software
I dont want to sound Bias but go with The AMD/7800gtx for gaming. No If's,and's or But's about it...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude

Not true, AMD Athlon 64 4000+ is 4 times faster then a 1GHz Athlon XP. 2.4GHz AMD = 3.6GHz Pentium 4.

I don't know about that.If that were true an amd athlon x2 4800 would only be equivalent to a 3.6 ghz pentium-D and there way faster then that.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chim3ra

If it's for a laptop, I would go with the M. Remember if you ever decide to take it on a trip with you (which is essentially what laptops are for) the Athlon will suck all the juice out of your battery. If you really want superior mobility and great CPU performance your best bet is the Pentium M.

Yea pentium M's are made for mobiles and 4400 isnt, so the Pentium M wont juice out your power supply but still give you awseom performance

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
yeah, pentium m all the way, it gives of little enough heat to where you could even oc it a bit and get the full 4000+ performance without your lap catching on fire

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEMON32

I don't know about that.If that were true an amd athlon x2 4800 would only be equivalent to a 3.6 ghz pentium-D and there way faster then that.

they're just keeping with the XXXX+ numbering scheme. that only applies to the single core models.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
4000+ (2.4GHz) is equal to 4GHz Intel (closer to 4.2GHz) end of discussion
but anyways that Alienware with a 4000+ and 7800GTX for sure, the Pentium Ms are fast but not that fast, and that 7800GO is the fastest mobile GPU by a long shot.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
don't get all ****y, it's not true. Intel P4=6 ops/clock. AMD Athlon=9 ops/clock. that would make the equation 1.5AMD=1Intel true.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

4000+ (2.4GHz) is equal to 4GHz Intel (closer to 4.2GHz) end of discussion
but anyways that Alienware with a 4000+ and 7800GTX for sure, the Pentium Ms are fast but not that fast, and that 7800GO is the fastest mobile GPU by a long shot.

Um no, its more like a 3.6 possible, and you cant compare 2 different cpu's with totally different architecture....So drop the whole this equals this mumbo jumbo

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
remonster, in a laptop, heat and power consumption are WAY more of an issue than in a desktop

1 - 20 of 28 Posts