Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on upgrading my CPU and mobo when I can save up enough, and I've narrowed it down to either a 64 4000+ (San Diego core, not Clawhammer) or the X2 3800+. This will be mostly to increase my performance in games, without spending to much (I'm 15 and make $7 an hour). Which do you think would be my best bet?

Planned Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128307

X2 3800+:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103562

64 4000+:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103529
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,792 Posts
Wait until socket AM2 comes out because 3800 will be coming out then and its now "x2" and it will be coming out Q2, its future proof, not saying 939 is dead but AM2 suuports DDR2
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by Orange

Wait until socket AM2 comes out because 3800 will be coming out then and its now "x2" and it will be coming out Q2, its future proof, not saying 939 is dead but AM2 suuports DDR2


Then I would basicly have to upgrade everything in my system, which I cannot afford. I'm not looking for the ultimate performance, just good, affordable performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
x2 trust me...and may i suggest a dfi mobo? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136152 )plz (can be modded to sli super easy) get this, trust me ... is an overclockers dream.. and the 3800's rediculously awesome..i run trillian, norton, zonealarm, maybe a spy ware can or two, and also while playing cs:s or dod source...i can switch in and out of 1600x1200 to my desktop like nothing, maybe two second pause tops ! i got my 3800 to 2.85 stable. had to rma becasue powersupply failed at a lan becase we had 13 computers coming out of one socket and we made the electricty in the house go out...when we got everything back on found out my psu failed becasue it was a shi**y generic one and made my cpu burn out running at about 2.55 ish.. the vlts around 1.47 if you get the mobo i have ill send you all my settings so you can get a stable start and be around 2.5 =] how i helped -trey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,792 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Namrac

Then I would basicly have to upgrade everything in my system, which I cannot afford. I'm not looking for the ultimate performance, just good, affordable performance.

Oh i see, then 939 would be good....with a APG motherboard i supose....i would go X2 because its a little faster and some games have the option for utilizing, well somewhat, the dual core in some games
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Action Trey!

x2 trust me...and may i suggest a dfi mobo? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136152 )plz (can be modded to sli super easy) get this, trust me ... is an overclockers dream.. and the 3800's rediculously awesome..i run trillian, norton, zonealarm, maybe a spy ware can or two, and also while playing cs:s or dod source...i can switch in and out of 1600x1200 to my desktop like nothing, maybe two second pause tops ! i got my 3800 to 2.85 stable. had to rma becasue powersupply failed at a lan becase we had 13 computers coming out of one socket and we made the electricty in the house go out...when we got everything back on found out my psu failed becasue it was a shi**y generic one and made my cpu burn out running at about 2.55 ish.. the vlts around 1.47 if you get the mobo i have ill send you all my settings so you can get a stable start and be around 2.5 =] how i helped -trey

You got your X2 3800 to 2.85 ghz stabily
?!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would, but I've got an AGP Video card, and like I said, I'm on a tight budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
you mentioned an upgrade for games...dont bother with the 3800, get the 3700 san diego. It will outperform the dual core in games, and will save you some cash instead of the 4000. The 3700 overclocks to about the same speeds as the 4000.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top