Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is a safe no OC temp for my new A64?
right now running prime95 my load temp is 54-55*c
if I take the side off of my case it goes down to around 50*c
Im hoping due to the rats nest of wires my air flow is the prob and will be take care of soon, but if these temps are final is 55* safe as long as I dont plan to oc?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Sounds like you have an airflow problem in your case if it's going that low when you take the side off.

I would add better fans, trim the metal grills, add a top exhaust...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im wondering if the stock HSF would work any better than the Kingwin H20 unit Im using, or if its just bad air flow.
I know with the side off I get right around 48* w/ spikes of 50* under load.

maybe I'll just live w/ no side pannel on my case lol

EDIT: Ive also already tryed reseating the water block and using a lil less compound and the temps remained the same.

in the pic you can see exactly what the dif is.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I do not know if the temp readings on the k8t neo are off but the temps on the msi neo2 plat are way off by at least 7-10c imho.

Try to keep it at 50c or under.

my tdx gives me an idle of 35c and a p95 load of 48c

Now converting that to fahrenheit that gives 95f idle and 118f load.

I just set up another comp with a neo2 plat and 3500+ with stock cooling and the 1.4 bios and it gave me 40c idle and 55c load at stock. I know that a dd tdx and a single heatercore and 120mm fan are not just 5c better than the stock at idle and 7c at load. This is with as5 vs the crap goop on the stock hsf too!

My temps are probably more like 30c idle and 40c load. I have my cpu at 1.6volts and the temps never changed from when I had it at 1.5 volts either. I bet your temp sensors are as fuxored on that board as they are on the neo2. If you have good cooling and are not even ocing I would not even pay the temp readings much attention.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^ my board is the K8N Neo plat w/ the 1.4 bios and suposodly that bios fixed the newcastle temp reading prob.

guess Im just going to leave the side off for the time being, and make sure no one gets near it lol.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDriver

^^^ my board is the K8N Neo plat w/ the 1.4 bios and suposodly that bios fixed the newcastle temp reading prob.

guess Im just going to leave the side off for the time being, and make sure no one gets near it lol.

You could always get your own temp probe and lcd for like 15 bucks to get the true temperature readings of your cpu.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

try this once.

do a cold boot of your pc and then check your temps with mbm5. Now do a reset and check your temps. Your temps should go down after a reset. My board does the same thing. I cold boot and the temps stick at 44c idle no matter what. After a reset they revert down to 35c.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^ Ive read about that prob b4. and think I may have had it or some thing similar happen earlier today.
since I got this rig set up it has idled around 38*, earlier it was reading 44* and I thought ***. that was when I took my wawa block off and reseated it. since then my idle no touch temp is 36*.
Im getting about spot on temps as you with your DD set up as long as the side is off of my case(side off=cooler air flowing threw my rad) so Im def thinking air flow problem and the 1.4 bios has possably not fixed all temp issues.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

^^^ Ive read about that prob b4. and think I may have had it or some thing similar happen earlier today.
since I got this rig set up it has idled around 38*, earlier it was reading 44* and I thought ***. that was when I took my wawa block off and reseated it. since then my idle no touch temp is 36*.
Im getting about spot on temps as you with your DD set up as long as the side is off of my case(side off=cooler air flowing threw my rad) so Im def thinking air flow problem and the 1.4 bios has possably not fixed all temp issues.

I touch my block right next to the proc and it isn't even warm to the touch. I would have to say my block is idling at close to ambient temps in my house which are about 69c. I would put an idle of about 29 or 30 c is more what it is and load is probably around 40-41c. The tdx block kick's a$$. I have two 80mm panaflo's as intakes a 92mm side exhaust and my psu fan as an exhaust and my case temps are 30c idle and they go up to 37 at full load.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok does AMD want these cpu's to fry?
there max temp is 70*c according to AMD. to try and figure out what is going on I slaped the stock HSF on this morning. all I can say is wow, remind me not to do that again.
with the side of my case off the temp went up to 57*c in under 5min of prime95. Id hate to see what would have happened if I had put the side on.
I think Im just going to stick w/ H20 and no case side, and hope MSI releases a bios soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts