Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 356 Posts

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuksel911 View Post

specool.gif
Nice guide.
Thanks!
smile.gif


Also, bump, so more ppl would see and it proly gets pinned in the AMD section
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Thanks for the guide, will try to OC my Athlon II x2 250 tommorow because the HD6850 is kinda bottlenecked
biggrin.gif
. Hope I will reach 3.5Ghz+
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athorne View Post

Thanks for the guide, will try to OC my Athlon II x2 250 tommorow because the HD6850 is kinda bottlenecked
biggrin.gif
. Hope I will reach 3.5Ghz+
My 260 managed to get to 3.7 @1.55v
smile.gif
But I had crappy cooling back then, with better it could have reached higher, don't know. Good luck!

EDIT: You could use an extra 2Gb RAM too
wink.gif
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athorne View Post

Yea another thing im worried about is my RAM, it was kinda cheap.
Probably the cheapest Kingston i guess?

KVR 1333?

No reason to worry. I had the exact same, overclocks to 1700 CL9 or 1600 CL8. At least mine did, epic RAM. And no heat problems at all, despite the fact that it is unsinked.
I expect yours to reach at least 1500 stable, which is enough for a decent CPU OC
wink.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Just tested with LinX @3300MHz, max temp 59, core temp - not over 45. Do you think I can go more?

BTW my cpu multiplier cant go over 15, and its 15 by default.

EDIT: Second test: @3460Mhz - max core temp 48C, max cpu temp 60C, 7mins without errors. Do you think thats safe? And what is actually the difference between the CPU temp and the Core temp? Im monitoring the cpu temp from EasyTune6.
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athorne View Post

Just tested with LinX @3300MHz, max temp 59, core temp - not over 45. Do you think I can go more?

BTW my cpu multiplier cant go over 15, and its 15 by default.

EDIT: Second test: @3460Mhz - max core temp 48C, max cpu temp 60C, 7mins without errors. Do you think thats safe? And what is actually the difference between the CPU temp and the Core temp? Im monitoring the cpu temp from EasyTune6.
CPU temp is measured at the socket, and by a sensor.
Core temp is.. well.. temperature of the separate cores
smile.gif
And is produced by a calculation, there is no sensor in there (I was shocked too).
In theory, CPU temp should be accurate at idle, Core temp should be accurate at load.
CPU temp was always 15C higher for me. For some people it's the other way around.

I was safe and stable with core temp 60C and CPU temp ~75C. You don't have to go that high if it makes you uncomfortable.
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Well I actually tested it in BF3 with 3.4GHz and there was no difference, atleast not big enough to make it playable, HD 6850 was still at max 35-40% usage. I think I need over 3.6GHz to make it playable with 80%+ gpu usage, but I dont think this is possible with stock cooler.
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athorne View Post

Well I actually tested it in BF3 with 3.4GHz and there was no difference, atleast not big enough to make it playable, HD 6850 was still at max 35-40% usage. I think I need over 3.6GHz to make it playable with 80%+ gpu usage, but I dont think this is possible with stock cooler.
No, the stock coolers of Athlons are a joke. You need heatpipes. At least 6 total (3 U-shaped).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Rep+
thumb.gif


I exactly could reach 4GHz as your example
biggrin.gif

Really useful guide, I didn't know that shouldn't increase HT
rolleyes.gif


Thanks a lot
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I did it and here's my results. [But NB confusion]. someone kindly help.

ref. clock : 247
NB multiplier : 9 couldn't get a 10 so 2500-2800 wasn't achievable. this is my doubt
ram multiplier : 533
SPD applied set : 609frequency table {8,8,8,22,30}
_________________________________
so did I miss anything any info ... need reply please help. was this overclock any good?392
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadogen View Post

I did it and here's my results. [But NB confusion]. someone kindly help.
ref. clock : 247
NB multiplier : 9 couldn't get a 10 so 2500-2800 wasn't achievable. this is my doubt
ram multiplier : 533
SPD applied set : 609frequency table {8,8,8,22,30}
_________________________________
so did I miss anything any info ... need reply please help. was this overclock any good?392
Hi
smile.gif
This is alsmost as far as my AthII 250 took me. I never managed to push it to 3.8Ghz. That voltage is a bit high, though...
About the CPU/NB - I had to up the voltage one step in order to achieve 2500Mhz, on default voltages I went just as far as you did - 2.2Ghz.
So try upping the voltage a bit (it's important to increase it very gently) and you'll maybe manage to hit multi 10
smile.gif
Maybe this will even allow you to lower the CPU voltage and keep stability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
New results

5 questions

I was doing this before reading the reply> So please update me on this one. I will read and make corrections from the above reply
I was also thinking about the voltage level up but the range was confusing!
1.Should I go for 1.55 V and above. 1.6V or above is always error reported by the bios
2. By the way which all things should I disable? I already did turn off cool n quite.
3. meanwhile HDD SMART gave me some error and had to turn it off [god knows what:eek:]
4. Sometimes after applying settings I can boot and log in to windows. but when I restart it from there bios wont even turn on. then i have to RESET it on and bios will show overclock error. then i will do some minor tweaks and repeat the cycle. this is sick. is the some 'cool n quite' sort of thing doing the voltage regulation? [well now its OK but i think I could have raised the bar a bit if this wasn't happening
5. Last one. Is it ok for the HW MONITOR tool to hang a bit. whenever i open it or close it it slows the whole system for a while and then goes back to normal. everything else is stable.

HAD TO COMPROMISE ON NB multiplier its 8 [8 x 249 = 1992] and ram is at 400 with 7,7,7,20,27 spd values
392392392
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadogen View Post

New results
5 questions
I was doing this before reading the reply> So please update me on this one. I will read and make corrections from the above reply
I was also thinking about the voltage level up but the range was confusing!
1.Should I go for 1.55 V and above. 1.6V or above is always error reported by the bios
2. By the way which all things should I disable? I already did turn off cool n quite.
3. meanwhile HDD SMART gave me some error and had to turn it off [god knows what:eek:]
4. Sometimes after applying settings I can boot and log in to windows. but when I restart it from there bios wont even turn on. then i have to RESET it on and bios will show overclock error. then i will do some minor tweaks and repeat the cycle. this is sick. is the some 'cool n quite' sort of thing doing the voltage regulation? [well now its OK but i think I could have raised the bar a bit if this wasn't happening
5. Last one. Is it ok for the HW MONITOR tool to hang a bit. whenever i open it or close it it slows the whole system for a while and then goes back to normal. everything else is stable.
HAD TO COMPROMISE ON NB multiplier its 8 [8 x 249 = 1992] and ram is at 400 with 7,7,7,20,27 spd values
No to all 5 questions
smile.gif
It's amazing how you managed to ask them like that
smile.gif

1. No, if you get BIOS error at 1.6, don't push beyond 1.55
2. No, you don't have to disable C&Q
3. No, don't turn HDD SMART off, it's important. If it gives error, you pushed something too far.
4. No, C&Q doesn't do voltage regulation, and if you have issues with reboots, you pushed something too far
5. No, HWMon doesn't usually hang the system
smile.gif


BTW 667 9-9-9 is faster than 400 7-7-7
smile.gif
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadogen View Post

Why can't we increase HT voltage and chipset voltage?
are they dangerous?
Yep. I've heard of chipset burning after as little as one step increase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
recently I only managed to up the timings to 8,8,8, 22, 30. BUT COMEONE. thats not enough right. I'm desperate to see that 4GHz number on the screen. what can i do?
wth.gif


Can you tell me your exact values and settings of this cpu. maybe i can give it a shot!
biggrin.gif

also i could reach a 4ghz speed without stability. so is voltage now an option. how far can i go? above 1.6!!! i need advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I've read somewhere online that they have set a RAM frequency as 1333MHz with a 260REF. so 5.12 base. I dont have that base listed in my bios. I have 4, 5.33, 6.something and 8 too no 5.12 how did they do that
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadogen View Post

I've read somewhere online that they have set a RAM frequency as 1333MHz with a 260REF. so 5.12 base. I dont have that base listed in my bios. I have 4, 5.33, 6.something and 8 too no 5.12 how did they do that
That must have been wrongly written. No mobo has 512. Maybe they set it to 667 (which is stock 1333), and that what they meant.. I don't know.

As of the settings of my CPU - it is a great overclocker - I never had to lower the multi. Here they are:

Multi: 16
Ref.Clock: 250
CPU/NB Multi: 10
CPU voltage: 1.425
LLC: 22% (no vDroop, no vBoost, minor fluctuations)
CPU/NB voltage: +0.125
HT freq: 1600
DDR freq: 667 (final - 1666)

At least those are as I can remember, I sold my gorgeous rig yesterday
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
all this time I've been doing something wrong!
redface.gif

Need urgent reply

The thing is if i find out temperature exceeding 70, then I go to bios drop ref by 10 put Voltage to auto. then opens. now the ref is really low like 227 [temp is 60]. should i increase voltage for like 1.45 and check again or should i stop here.
 
21 - 40 of 356 Posts
Top