Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 356 Posts

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadogen View Post

all this time I've been doing something wrong!
redface.gif

Need urgent reply
The thing is if i find out temperature exceeding 70, then I go to bios drop ref by 10 put Voltage to auto. then opens. now the ref is really low like 227 [temp is 60]. should i increase voltage for like 1.45 and check again or should i stop here.
Stop, buy another cooler (somehing with at least 3 U-shaped heatpipes (6 total)), then push further
smile.gif

For me, 8 heatpipes is the minimum. Brand doesn't really matter, pipe count makes all the difference IMO. But it is a + if it comes with a large sink and supports push-pull out of the box
wink.gif

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
Hi there was wondering if you can help me. Im trying to overclock my x4 645 but i cant get it stable at 3.6Ghz at any voltage up to 1.5v. Too scared to go above 1.5v
ref:240Mhz
multi:15.5
HT:1920Mhz
NB:2400Mhz
RAM:1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T

I can boot into windows but get BSOD when i try run prime95 or linX. Max temp running Prime95before BSOD was 74C.
Im still using the stock cooler. Will upgrading help with the overclock on this processor, as its only a budget processor. Thinking of a Zalman CNPS5X. I'm new to AMD as i was an intel person but they just to expensive for their lowest quad core.

Any advice would be appreciated!
thumb.gif

PS: Hoping to hit 4Ghz possibly but maybe thats a bit far fetched. If so ill settle for 3.8Ghz

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
ive heard it doesnt overclock as great cause youve got one less option to adjust should you start loosing stability

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
Scratch that! The CPU cooler ill get is the Cooler Master Hyper 212EVO!
biggrin.gif

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Hi there was wondering if you can help me. Im trying to overclock my x4 645 but i cant get it stable at 3.6Ghz at any voltage up to 1.5v. Too scared to go above 1.5v
ref:240Mhz
multi:15.5
HT:1920Mhz
NB:2400Mhz
RAM:1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
I can boot into windows but get BSOD when i try run prime95 or linX. Max temp running Prime95before BSOD was 74C.
Im still using the stock cooler. Will upgrading help with the overclock on this processor, as its only a budget processor. Thinking of a Zalman CNPS5X. I'm new to AMD as i was an intel person but they just to expensive for their lowest quad core.
Any advice would be appreciated!
thumb.gif

PS: Hoping to hit 4Ghz possibly but maybe thats a bit far fetched. If so ill settle for 3.8Ghz
What is the highest stable freq you can get with 1.5v? Also, can you post a CPUz screenshot of the CPU and Memory tabs?
BTW keep in mind that Athlon II Quads are more sensitive to temperature than Athlon II Dual and Tri (70C vs 75C rated max temp)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadogen View Post

ASUS M4N68T LEV2 doesn't have an HT multiplier in its bios, any thoughts on the 'keeping 2000' rule. how is this board anyway?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4N68T_LE_V2/
P_500.jpg
It either auto-regulates (some Asus mobos do that, meaning they drop the multi whenever HT freq passes over 2001) or it doesn't. You can check via CPUz, CPU tab tells you the "HT link" freq.
And it doens't seem to be meant as a good OCer - only 3+1 phase VRM, which is a bit on the poor side. I consider 4+1 as the minimum for good OCing.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
well it seems to be around 3.4. but i haven't run prime95 or linX for the full 6-12 hours. The temps get quite high. In the high 60s. And i know for optimum stability i should aim for 50-55c. So im just going to run everything at 3.2 for now and im just going to wait for my Coolermaster Hyper212evo. Really excited actually!

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Quote:

well it seems to be around 3.4. but i haven't run prime95 or linX for the full 6-12 hours. The temps get quite high. In the high 60s. And i know for optimum stability i should aim for 50-55c. So im just going to run everything at 3.2 for now and im just going to wait for my Coolermaster Hyper212evo. Really excited actually!
Well, if you reach high 60s in stability tests, you probably won't get any higher than low 60s in ordinary loads (gaming, etc). So I would say you're safe @3.4
But still, 1.5v is a bit high voltage for just 200Mhz OC...

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
Yeah i know. but its a 300mhz oc. stock for the processor is 3.1. But still not great. Probably with my luck i got one of the more stubborn processors that came off the production line. But ill just hold off on the oc for now until i get my cooler. What's the fastest you've ever heard of the propus core managing in terms of oc?

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Quote:

Yeah i know. but its a 300mhz oc. stock for the processor is 3.1. But still not great. Probably with my luck i got one of the more stubborn processors that came off the production line. But ill just hold off on the oc for now until i get my cooler. What's the fastest you've ever heard of the propus core managing in terms of oc?
I've seen them hit ~6.0Ghz on liquid nitrogen.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
Wow thats epic! The best you've seen with air cooling?

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
People have mentioned hitting 4.0Ghz, but AFAIK those are just lucky few. Otherwise things go between 3.6-3.8, pretty much same range as AthII x2, just a bit harder to cool down
smile.gif

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
Well I managed to boot into windows at 3.7Ghz on 1.375v. But it seems it ranges from 1.36-1.38v depending on CPU load. Is that my BIOS? Here is a CPU-Z screenshot

Screen Shot.png 840k .png file

Attachments

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Quote:

Well I managed to boot into windows at 3.7Ghz on 1.375v. But it seems it ranges from 1.36-1.38v depending on CPU load. Is that my BIOS? Here is a CPU-Z screenshot

Screen Shot.png 840k .png file
Those fluctiations are normal when the CPU switches from load to idle state and back (not to be confused with C&Q, it's unrelated).
Long story short:
C&Q throttled state : 1.0Ghz, 0.9v
Default idle state : 3.0Ghz, 1.38v
Default load state : 3.0Ghz 1.35v

^ sample values.

It's called vDrop (or vDroop, they are separate terms, but people often mix their meaning).

Furthermore, you get even more fluctiations in the 0.05v range if you use an Asus mobo with LLC support, especially in load state.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
Well my my mobo is an MSI 990FXA-GD65. So right now things are looking more positive. But I get a BSOD when I try run Prime95. So ill stop here and use this as a reference point, so I can just get up and carry on overclocking once my CPU cooler has arrived. Sorry I sound like a bit of a noob. But having just ported over from Intel im just trying to get a few things in order.

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Quote:

Well my my mobo is an MSI 990FXA-GD65. So right now things are looking more positive. But I get a BSOD when I try run Prime95. So ill stop here and use this as a reference point, so I can just get up and carry on overclocking once my CPU cooler has arrived.
Good idea. I don't have any insight on MSI's voltage stability, largely due to the recent VRM phobia where 40% of MSI's AM3 mobos burned
smile.gif

But your is solid, quite solid in fact. You can see this thread for reference:

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboard-vrm-information-list

smile.gif

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
ok wow i nearly had a heart attack. See I bought the board because the reviews were all very good. now they are talking about the 8+2 phase motherboards and some of them not being true 8 phase designs. I can't work out from the forum if my motherboard is a true 8 phase design?

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Quote:

ok wow i nearly had a heart attack. See I bought the board because the reviews were all very good. now they are talking about the 8+2 phase motherboards and some of them not being true 8 phase designs. I can't work out from the forum if my motherboard is a true 8 phase design?
Well, the person who made the form is a bit of a fanatic, so I'd expect him to list the true phase count
smile.gif

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
Well thank you for all the help. Ill post again once my cooler arrives and I've messed around a bit. Im feeling a lot more optimistic now that i booted on 1.375v seems i might reach my target. Thanks again.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,319 Posts
Alright things are going down now!!! I've posted and logged into windows at [email protected]!!! Im using a Coolermaster Hyper 212evo to stop my chip from melting. My question now is how safe is anything above 1.5v? Im at 1.55v and im not stable yet. At what point should i be worried about maybe killing the chip?

41 - 60 of 356 Posts