Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people pricing up a new build, on a tight budget and need to save as much as possible really. Is it worth spending the extra 50Quid for the Phenom or should I just get the Athlon, will be mainly playing games and stuff on the machine.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1greeny1 View Post
Hi people pricing up a new build, on a tight budget and need to save as much as possible really. Is it worth spending the extra 50Quid for the Phenom or should I just get the Athlon, will be mainly playing games and stuff on the machine.

Cheers

For games it should be ok
you can OC it a nice bit

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
You might suffer a little bit in gameing if u are running @ 1920x1200 (or 1080p) but it will come down to the Video card more then anything for the gaming side.

You can over clock to hell with the Athlons and the 955. YOu might even be able to unlock the L3 so save the money and put it into the Video card Woot woot! (unless u just happen to find more money why not!)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I like the athlon II line of processors. My system is mainly used for gaming and managing some aspects of my home business. It overclocks pretty well, and stays pretty cool. I've also put the atlhon II x4 635/630 in a few system builds and I must say it's pretty snappy.

Edit: haha i dont see to many forum members with a Lexa-S case, good call baldy!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weasel555 View Post
I like the athlon II line of processors. My system is mainly used for gaming and managing some aspects of my home business. It overclocks pretty well, and stays pretty cool. I've also put the atlhon II x4 635/630 in a few system builds and I must say it's pretty snappy.

Edit: haha i dont see to many forum members with a Lexa-S case, good call baldy!

What kind of home Bis do u do??

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackeduphard View Post
Whats wrong with the build you already have up man?
Its died of death mate, mobo has ceased to exist. And just gonna build something new. Need to upgrade from 775 anyway.

Thanks for all the replies fellers. As for resolution monitor only goes upto 1440/900 which is pretty naff I know but it serves its purpose (for now

So is it worth saving the extra cash and getting the athlon, was advised to get a gigabyte board but Im not a great fan to be honest so going to go for the Asus crosshair III.

Just wondered with the layer 3 cache as the athlon doesnt have one, also is it possible to unlock cores on the quads?

Once again thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi thanks for all the replies people, how do you actually unlock the cores and can it be done with the asus crosshair III mobo?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool ok. well done a quick calculation and should be able to order all of this stuff next week hopefully, although I am missing out on valuable COH and BC2 playing time

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Cheers

Honestly, the performance difference is only about 5% clock for clock between the Athlon II's and the Phenom II's and it's just mainly due to the L3 cache.

If you're going to be doing a lot of gaming, the L3 cache does matter. However if you're more of a casual gamer, the Athlon II's are more than enough processor for you.

Quote:

Hi thanks for all the replies people, how do you actually unlock the cores and can it be done with the asus crosshair III mobo?
As long as any motherboard with an AMD chipset has either the SB710 or SB750, it has the potential to unlock cores by enabling ACC and putting it in Auto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznaz View Post
The only quads unlockable to 6 cores are the ones labelled as XXXT - I think the only one at the moment is the Phenom II 970T?
Also, keep in mind that AMD has yet to release this processor unless it's only been released in certain markets. I know it's still not available here in the US. The Phenom II 970 is based on the Deneb and not Thuban.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamuiRSX View Post
Also, keep in mind that AMD has yet to release this processor unless it's only been released in certain markets. I know it's still not available here in the US. The Phenom II 970 is based on the Deneb and not Thuban.
Yeah, sorry I got that wrong. It's the 940T and 960T that will be the first Thuban based Phenom II quad cores.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts