Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upgrade from my dual core CPU to a new quad core. The two CPUs I found that I liked are the Athlon II X4 630 and Phenom II X4 925. they are both at 2.8 GHz but the Athlon lacks l3 cache. Is the l3 cache that important? The Phenom is $40 dollars more than the Athlon, but it also has been shown to perform better. Money isn't a big problem but if I am not going to see that $40 go to good use, I might as well just get the Athlon. I am asking for some personal opinions of what I should get. Also I game a lot so that is a big factor.

Here are the links to the CPUs on Newegg.
Phenom II X4 925
Athlon II X4 630

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterShake1441
View Post

I am going to upgrade from my dual core CPU to a new quad core. The two CPUs I found that I liked are the Athlon II X4 630 and Phenom II X4 925. they are both at 2.8 GHz but the Athlon lacks l3 cache. Is the l3 cache that important? The Phenom is $40 dollars more than the Athlon, but it also has been shown to perform better. Money isn't a big problem but if I am not going to see that $40 go to good use, I might as well just get the Athlon. I am asking for some personal opinions of what I should get. Also I game a lot so that is a big factor.

Phenom II X4 925
Athlon II X4 630

go 3.0 or better for the money. if going with the phenom, go with the cheapest black edition quadcore and net a 3.6 ghz core atleast with just a multiplier bump

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllenG
View Post

go 3.0 or better for the money. if going with the phenom, go with the cheapest black edition quadcore and net a 3.6 ghz core atleast with just a multiplier bump

I found a 3Ghz Black Edition but it says it is an AM2+ CPU. Would it work with a AM3 motherboard? Also, what do the Black Editions add to the CPU?

·
Registered
558 Posts
No, you're wrong!

Most of AM3 processors runs fine with AM2+ mobo's (with BIOS update generally) but AM2+ processors don't run on AM3 mobo's...

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqlittle View Post
No, you're wrong!

Most of AM3 processors runs fine with AM2+ mobo's (with BIOS update generally) but AM2+ processors don't run on AM3 mobo's...
THIS THIS THIS.

940s and 920s, and all other AM2+ processors, will NOT work in any DDR3 AM3 board. Period.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
AMD Phenom II X4 955

best AMD quad out there.

--------------------------
AM2+ lacks DDR3 support. so AM3 CPUs will work in AM2+ and AM3 boards because they support both DDR2 and DDR3, but older AM2+ CPUs will NOT work in AM3 boards because they dont support the DDR3 RAM that is used in AM3 boards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for their input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
AMD Phenom II X4 955

best AMD quad out there.

--------------------------
AM2+ lacks DDR3 support. so AM3 CPUs will work in AM2+ and AM3 boards because they support both DDR2 and DDR3, but older AM2+ CPUs will NOT work in AM3 boards because they dont support the DDR3 RAM that is used in AM3 boards
Would this CPU be fine with a 500 watt PSU? I would rather not have to buy a new one, but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
a quality 500w PSU would do well. Antec, Corsair, etc.

what PSU are you talking about exactly? some cheaper PSUs wont deliver their rated wattage. your sig rig is not very informative

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

a quality 500w PSU would do well. Antec, Corsair, etc.

what PSU are you talking about exactly? some cheaper PSUs wont deliver their rated wattage. your sig rig is not very informative

I double checked and I guess it is actually 550 Watt. It is a Viotek. I got it off of ebay for about $20. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the low end kind. I just needed something for my new computer.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
it looks to be a rebadged ~300-350w FSP/Sparkle PSU.

according to the model i found :

with 18amps on the 12V rail, i would definately not run a high end CPU and a 9800GTX on that PSU. it will most likely fail when you put your system under a load, like a game.

its also an ATX 1.x version PSU, therefore it doesnt conform to the ATX 2.2 or 2.3 specifications that are required for newer generation components.

in the articles that talk about it, they say stuff like 'new 24 pin' main connector... this has been standard for years. and 'new PCI express 6 pin' which has also been out for years and most nicer PSUs have multiple 6 and 8 pin PCIe connectors.

how much are you willing to spend on a PSU?

you can get quality 400-600w units for $60 or so...

Antec, OCZ, and Corsair are youre best bet. antec and corsair are supirior to OCZ, but OCZ still makes good units and are well above the crap produced by many cheap-o companies

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert
View Post

it looks to be a rebadged ~300-350w FSP/Sparkle PSU.

according to the model i found :

with 18amps on the 12V rail, i would definately not run a high end CPU and a 9800GTX on that PSU. it will most likely fail when you put your system under a load, like a game.

its also an ATX 1.x version PSU, therefore it doesnt conform to the ATX 2.2 or 2.3 specifications that are required for newer generation components.

in the articles that talk about it, they say stuff like 'new 24 pin' main connector... this has been standard for years. and 'new PCI express 6 pin' which has also been out for years and most nicer PSUs have multiple 6 and 8 pin PCIe connectors.

how much are you willing to spend on a PSU?

you can get quality 400-600w units for $60 or so...

This is the same one I have.
HERE
It says it is made for high end GPUs and multicore CPUs.

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts
If you get the 925 you can overclock it ~3.6-3.8GHZ. It doesn't have to be a black edition. Black edition is just a bit simpler. All you need to do is lower other settings and raise htt and it will overclock. See the guides in these forums about how to OC.

The nice thing about the level 3 cache is that you can also overclock your memory controller, which also controls level 3 cache.

Actually this is the official overclocking guide written by AMD, and it's quite helpful:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/content/pd...ning_Guide.pdf

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Quote:

View Post

This is the same one I have.
HERE
It says it is made for high end GPUs and multicore CPUs.

all manufacturers say their PSUs are built for high-end systems, and most are flat-out lying

there are no reviews of this unit, which makes me skeptical. from the review of an older version of this same PSU, its a 350w FSP unit, at best. it says 28amps on the 12v rail, which is decent if it can actually put out that much, but im thinking it cant since its really a 300-350w unit.

i would seriously consider upgrading it, ive lost a computer due to a cheap PSU and i dont want it to happen again! it is much more expensive buying a new motherboard or video card than it is to spend a bit more on a good PSU instead of getting a cheap-o-unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert
View Post

all manufacturers say their PSUs are built for high-end systems, and most are flat-out lying

there are no reviews of this unit, which makes me skeptical. from the review of an older version of this same PSU, its a 350w FSP unit, at best. it says 28amps on the 12v rail, which is decent if it can actually put out that much, but im thinking it cant since its really a 300-350w unit.

i would seriously consider upgrading it, ive lost a computer due to a cheap PSU and i dont want it to happen again! it is much more expensive buying a new motherboard or video card than it is to spend a bit more on a good PSU instead of getting a cheap-o-unit.

Do you have any good recommendations?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
the OCZ ModXStream 500w is of pretty good quality and it can put out its full 500w rated power, tho it can be a bit stressed at that point. but i doubt your CPU and 1 GPU will push that hard, you will most likely be pulling arond 350w during games and this PSU is very efficient at that load level.

it was originally a $90 PSU, but newegg has it for $65 AND a $25 MIR, so its $40 after the rebate! cant beat that.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Phenom II X4 925
Athlon II X4 630

As someone who has the 925 take a look very easy oc to 3.5ghz
24/7.... l3 make a difference in games and mutli tasking
here is shot of and my cooling is just a h50 cooler.... with a top air cooler
it would be a few c's better by the way in mw2 i top out 36c
and thats the reading from tmpino reading it's the same as my motherboard reading.

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts
I think 925's now come in C3 revision too, so overclock and undervlock can be even better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

the OCZ ModXStream 500w is of pretty good quality and it can put out its full 500w rated power, tho it can be a bit stressed at that point. but i doubt your CPU and 1 GPU will push that hard, you will most likely be pulling arond 350w during games and this PSU is very efficient at that load level.

it was originally a $90 PSU, but newegg has it for $65 AND a $25 MIR, so its $40 after the rebate! cant beat that.
Thanks for that, I think I will get that one. The reviews on it are good and on the bad ones, the manufacturer made sure to respond.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts