Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been wanting to upgrade/replace my 6400+ Black Edition for awhile now but the power requirements on my OC'd Phenom II 940 made it more of an energy user than my 6400+ so I decided to go with an Athlon II X4 because they seem to do a lot better on power consumption tests than any others I've seen. Unfortunately, after reading some news, I found out that AMD is releasing a new C3 Stepping of the Athlon II X4 and a newer model called the 640 that will run at 3.0Ghz (200 x 15). If it gets released before I put my build together, I'm waiting as long as possible, then I'll sell the 630 and buy the 640. Here's my build log so far. I will update with links as I buy each piece.

CPU: Athlon II X4 630
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
PSU: OCZ 700w GameXStream - I got for $15
Case: Thermaltake V9 Black Edition
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB will arrive soon
GPU: I'll either throw in one of my 4850's or buy a 4890...leaning towards the 4890

Sound: I'll move my X-Fi Xtreme Gamer from my Kamtastic build to this one
Optical: Still working on this one, I'm wanting one with Lightscribe...weird because i'll probably never use it but just in case
Preferably IDE
HSF: Waiting on the 3RSystems Ice Age II currently. However, got the Kingwin XT-1264 for $15 shipped

Now, what I'll end up doing is moving all the HDD but 1 from my 6400+ to this one and then retiring my Athlon XP and just using the 6400+ BE for all my streaming and movie watching while using this new one as my 24/7 PC as it will use less power and lower my electric build. I'll still be using the same monitors and tv's.

Edit: Well I just sold that old case that's been taking up space so I'll probably buy the new case within the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Sounds like a sweet little build....i have definitely been giving the Athlon X3 and X4 series a hard look due to the energy efficiency when compared to the Phenom II's...my rig's pretty sad in that department compared to the Athlon X3/X4 series...

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs
View Post

Sounds like a sweet little build....i have definitely been giving the Athlon X3 and X4 series a hard look due to the energy efficiency when compared to the Phenom II's...my rig's pretty sad in that department compared to the Athlon X3/X4 series...

lol I know the feeling. I was hoping my Phenom II 940 would use less power than my 6400+ but even with 2 8800GT's in SLI, my Phenom II 940 rig uses a hell of a lot more power so I try to only use it when it's absolutely needed. The performance decrease from Athlon II to Phenom II is only about 5% total which isn't bad for the huge drop in price. Check my sig for a link showing the overclocks of the people who have joined so far.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamuiRSX View Post
lol I know the feeling. I was hoping my Phenom II 940 would use less power than my 6400+ but even with 2 8800GT's in SLI, my Phenom II 940 rig uses a hell of a lot more power so I try to only use it when it's absolutely needed. The performance decrease from Athlon II to Phenom II is only about 5% total which isn't bad for the huge drop in price. Check my sig for a link showing the overclocks of the people who have joined so far.
Have you tried severely down clocking the 940 to the 6400+'s core speed and compared?

And yes i have been keeping track of the clocks achieved for the Athlon II series and they definitely exhibit good voltage/clock ratio's

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs View Post
Have you tried severely down clocking the 940 to the 6400+'s core speed and compared?

And yes i have been keeping track of the clocks achieved for the Athlon II series and they definitely exhibit good voltage/clock ratio's
That comparison was at 3.2Ghz for stock to minuscule overclock comparison and then I upped the OC to my 6400+ back up to 3.4Ghz and then upped the Phenom II as well and even with the 6400+ needing the voltage bump and the 940 on stock volts, the 940 rig still used more power

So I use it for whenever I need to do video encoding. The thing flies through encoding them all

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sozin View Post
I just ordered one of those X4's, the 620 though, and with the GA-MA785GM-US2H though. Very interested in seeing how this preforms.
You should see a very noticeable performance increase
Nice motherboard as well.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamuiRSX
View Post

You should see a very noticeable performance increase
Nice motherboard as well.

I hope I see an increase as well. I specifically chose that board for it's form factor; I plan on buying the P180 Mini quite soon.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

I hope I see an increase as well. I specifically chose that board for it's form factor; I plan on buying the P180 Mini quite soon.
Nice. From what I've seen, the 785g's do a pretty decent job of overclocking and it's Gigabyte so that's always a +

Also, update on the build log. Just ordered the Thermaltake V9 Black Edition New for $22 shipped ($71 for the case - $49 from old case) and picked up an OCZ GameXStream 700w PSU earlier today from a local guy for $15 brand new still sealed

I'll post pics of each tomorrow or whenever the case arrives so I can do both unboxing's in one day.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

I look forward to these pictures.
I'll also do a video unboxing just for giggles

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by YangerD
View Post

Nice build, waiting on pics

I'm waiting on the shipment of my case...if it ships from Ewiz.com's Atlanta warehouse, I'll get it next day but if it ships from Cali, probably the full 7 days

Edit: It still hasn't shipped yet....normally when I buy from them it ships same day but I guess since it's a case, it takes longer or something but I've emailed them so we'll see

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...I've got more bad news. It shipped today from California so ETA is next week sometime probably next Wednesday knowing UPS.

Edit: Exact ETA is 01/19/2009

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

My case came today. I did a once over video review and I've got to take some more picture tomorrow and then I'll post them and edit the video. Overall...I kinda like it. There's 2 things I really don't like about it that wasn't made apparent until I got the case though but there's always a way around those things

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ugh I need a HDD badly

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And I just bought a HDD

Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB from Amazon for $69.99 - $32.16 of gift card codes for $37.83 out of my pocket and I should be receiving $35 in Amazon codes by the end of the year for a 2nd drive
Will post pics once it arrives and then I'll start the building

Drive will be here tomorrow. Be on the look out for build pics. I really need to find another free image hosting site other than photobucket and tinypic though.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hooray for UPS making me wait all day long to get my HDD finally at 6pm
So tonight around 10 or 11, I'll start putting the build together and updating with pictures
OOooh i can't wait

1 - 20 of 34 Posts