Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So recently I've been somewhat unhappy with the performance of my unlocked Athlon II x4 @3.6GHz, and being C2 stepping, it has hit a wall at 3.6GHz and won't go higher. I've been considering trading or selling it and my mobo in exchange for an i3 530 and an Asus P7H55-M Pro, and hoping to push it to ~4GHz. I don't play many quad-threaded games, and the ones that I do play, I don't play very often.

What do you guys think of this? Any suggestions? I'm in Canada, so not many used deals here on OCN are available, and Craigslist is useless.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear in the main paragraph, gaming is about all I do, with some video editing of gameplay footage and stuff, but I don't mind waiting for that stuff.

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
10fps boost at 80fps (at the most)
3fps boost at 30fps
-20fps in any quad threaded game.

This means 30fps with a 630 is 33fps with an i3.

Basically, stop trying to find a way to spend your money as this is most definietly not a worthy upgrade.

IMO spend the money on an SSD and actually notice a performance increase in things like webbrowsing and other stuff besides games.

BTW what is so unsatisfying about your current setup?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhudson
View Post

10fps boost at 80fps (at the most)
3fps boost at 30fps
-20fps in any quad threaded game.

This means 30fps with a 630 is 33fps with an i3.

Basically, stop trying to find a way to spend your money as this is most definietly not a worthy upgrade.

IMO spend the money on an SSD and actually notice a performance increase in things like webbrowsing and other stuff besides games.

BTW what is so unsatisfying about your current setup?!?!?!

Is that at same speed/clocks? I do plan on overclocking the i3 higher than I have my Athlon.

I won't be spending any money, as I'll be trading or selling my current CPU/mobo to fund it.

No need for an SSD, I'll wait until they're cheap/mainstream and I can get a decent sized one for around $100.

And my main issues with my current setup is FPS dips in a couple of games (the ones that I like to play the most, mainly TF2).

·
PC Evangelist
46,976 Posts
Core i3 might be a downgrade in some places and if you are not happy with the performance you getting now you need a much more powerful CPU. Something like Core i7 @ 4.0Ghz ore PII X6 @ 4.0Ghz.

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

Core i3 might be a downgrade in some places and if you are not happy with the performance you getting now you need a much more powerful CPU. Something like Core i7 @ 4.0Ghz ore PII X6 @ 4.0Ghz.

True that

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think over all you'd see a boost with the i3, and a low chance of anything decreased. While it only has two real cores, it'll clock quite a bit higher than your current chip.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhudson
View Post

how could you possibly be having trouble with tf2??????????????????????

Dunno bro??????????????

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

Like I said, I rarely play quad-threaded games (and even in those, the i3 does have hyperthreading), and the i3 does appear to beat the Athlon 635 in Source games and most others that I play by a small percentage at the same speeds.

Why do I need a CPU like that if I'm not happy with my current performance? My triple core Phenom 720 @2.8GHz handled TF2 better than my Athlon quad, so I'm assuming L3 cache plays a fairly significant roll in this game at least, or that there is an underlying problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts