Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of an upgrade would getting a PII 955 c3 be, from my current athlon II 635? I'm getting pretty severe bottlenecking in GTA 4 and BF:BC2, so a cpu upgrade is probably in order.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Hi.

You will see a big difference, game performance depends of GPU and CPU, mostly L3 cache of CPU and you Athlon doesn't have L3 cache, plus, you can overclock the X4 955 because it's unlock multiplier and get much performance for free.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If your looking to save some money try and get a Phenom II x2 560. There is a good chance of unlocking it to a quad for $100. Not guaranteed though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPodder;11936365
How much of an upgrade would getting a PII 955 c3 be, from my current athlon II 635? I'm getting pretty severe bottlenecking in GTA 4 and BF:BC2, so a cpu upgrade is probably in order.
Roughly a 15% increase in framerate at equal clock speed. Depends on application and screen resolution. So, if your seeing 60fps expect roughly 69fps with Phenom II. I'm not convinced that your "severe" bottlenecking is due to lack of L3 cache. Maybe your in-game graphical settings/resolution surpass the capabilities of your video card?

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
At your max resolution of 1920 x 1080, you're going to see very little difference in most games.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS.III;11938519
Roughly a 15% increase in framerate at equal clock speed. Depends on application and screen resolution. So, if your seeing 60fps expect roughly 69fps with Phenom II. I'm not convinced that your "severe" bottlenecking is due to lack of L3 cache. Maybe your in-game graphical settings/resolution surpass the capabilities of your video card?
Nope. More like 5%.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In all those games i mentioned I'm getting low gpu usage, so I think i'm being bottlenecked by my cpu.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Like I say, intensive games needs L3 cache, something that your current CPU doesn't have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts