Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
my athlon xp 1800+ Tbred A can i get this to 1.8Ghz it's now 1.53Ghz.
i got a MSI KT6V mobo
512 mem pc3200
geforce fx5200 128 mb

thanks.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elfi

hi all,
my athlon xp 1800+ Tbred A can i get this to 1.8Ghz it's now 1.53Ghz.
i got a MSI KT6V mobo
512 mem pc3200
geforce fx5200 128 mb

thanks.

Hi elfi,

According to some reviews and MSI's web site the 155fsb you'll need to reach 1.782Ghz (11.5x155) is doable. However, you'll need good memory, a good power supply, cpu cooler and patience. I've overclocked my XP1800 to a fsb of 150 before heat became a problem. I had the cpu in a Lian Li case, SLK800 with tornado fan. It ran stable at 1.7, but the cpu was at 55degC at idle. So.. that's my experience. My motherboard is an ASUS A7V-266AA.

I hope this helped, :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi 455buick my pc is at this moment 1.6Ghz but 55C degrees on idle i can do more cause then my pc won't POST do you think it's my temp.
if i get a aftermarket cooling do you think it's gonna work i need to know this because the cooling is gonna cost me 70$ here in South America
thanks

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

hi 455buick my pc is at this moment 1.6Ghz but 55C degrees on idle i can do more cause then my pc won't POST do you think it's my temp.
if i get a aftermarket cooling do you think it's gonna work i need to know this because the cooling is gonna cost me 70$ here in South America
thanks

Hi elfi,

The temps at 55degC would not necessarily be the issue of the computer not posting. If you've left the vcore voltage the same, then you may need to add in a little more voltage to the cpu. If my memory serves me, the stock voltage on the XP1800+ was 1.7V. I believe I went to 1.75 for stability. However, remember that adding in the extra voltage will also increase your cpu temps. The magic number used by most overclockers in 60degC or so. The cpu according to AMD will fail at 95degC. Not a pretty picture, just molten goo. AMD and especially the Sockey A cpu's do not have a built in temperature sensor. So the cpu will built heat until it dies. Intel does use a throttling heat sensor, so when the cpu gets too hot, it slows down automatically it protect itself (from us!). lol

I see in your post that you live in South America. I would think that unless you live in an air conditioned home, that the room temps will also have a bearing on your cpu temps. As I posted in another thread, I don't and can't overclock too much in the summer. Room temps of 30degC drives all of my computer parts up at least 5-7degC. I personally don't like going over 55degC on any of my cpu's, no matter who the manufacturer is: Intel or AMD. That's why I try and keep my cpu to room temps in the 10-12degC difference bracket. During the summer my cpu will hit 45degC at idle with room temps of 30degC. I need to get A/C!

I hope this helped, :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can you give me a good number for the multiplyer, fsb and vcore for reaching 1.8Ghz or maybe 2Ghz stable for the athlonXp 1800+ T-bred A that i have

it's running so hot maybe because i have the stock heatsink on it

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The Series "A" do run hot.. a bit of a drew back of them!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

The Series "A" do run hot.. a bit of a drew back of them!

I agree, my wifes PC has a XP1800 (stock) and runs at 55.c on a good day, ive put a number of diffrent coolers on it but it wont drop under 50.c

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

can you give me a good number for the multiplyer, fsb and vcore for reaching 1.8Ghz or maybe 2Ghz stable for the athlonXp 1800+ T-bred A that i have

it's running so hot maybe because i have the stock heatsink on it

Hi Elfi,

The multipier is locked at 11.5. There's nothing you can do about that. This is how you get 1.53Ghz = 11.5 x 133 fsb. The vCore stock is 1.6 or 1.7 volts, if I remember right. The first thing to do is start moving your fsb up from 133 until the system becomes unstable or refuses to boot. For your motherboard I'm not sure where that will be. You'll have to try the trial and error method. When you reach an unstable fsb, back it off a little, boot up and then you can increase the vCore some. Perhaps an increase to .25v if your motherboard wil allow this increment. Some motherboards go .1v at a time, others take larger steps. Then try again on the fsb.

If you're looking for 1.8Ghz, then a 155 fsb is what you'll want. Your motherboard, cpu and other components may or may not allow you to get this high. Somewhere along this trial and error method you'll find a max fsb and vCore for your system. There's no one size fits all. Even overclockers with the same motherboard and cpu will reach different results. So I can't tell you where or how far you'll be able to go. The power supply may also play a part, becuase it needs to supply a constant voltage to the cpu. Any fluctuations will also cause unstable operation.

This has always been the overclocker's dilemma. Trying to get the most out of your combination. One thing you'll need to watch is heat. As you increase the vCore and fsb, the cpu will get hotter. At about 70degC the life span of the AMD cpu will start to fade. Also heat will cause the cpu and other components to act in an unstable manner. This is why overclockers always try to get the lowest temps, by using huge air cooled heatsinks or water cooling or phase cooling. Case flow and room temps will also play a big part in your effort to reach 1.8Ghz with the XP1800+...

So take your time, move fsb and voltages up slowly until you hit the max, then be happy :)

I hope this helped,

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
======================
Links
======================

Here are links leading to drivers, install guides, utilities and other useful information for your mainboard. Research away

KT6 Drivers

All of your KT6 driver needs can be found in one place:

BIOS

You can download the latest BIOS for your KT6 here

AMI BIOS Flash Procedure

BIOS Recovery Procedure

Utilities

Utilities

Manual

KT6V Series
KT6-V
KT6 Delta Series

Here's some research for your mainboard to help you along with all the great advice.

R

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks you guys
i just got a aero 7+ and my cpu temp is now 48C at 1.5Ghz
I gonna burn some dvd's and then try to overclock to my pc's max
Oo and my multiplyer isn't lockt at 11.5 it can go till 12.5/13 but your fsb is more important right.
gonna give you the results sone

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it just won't do good over 1.67Ghz dam!!
i'm just gonna stick with the 1.53Ghz it really hurts

i guess South Am. isn't a place to overclock a pc

thanks you guys for your support

·
Registered
220 Posts
What do you guys think the max temp for these 1600+-2200+ XP processor should be?

You guys think around 50C is an OK average temp for these processors?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
60C MAX under full load.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts