Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Athlon XP 2800 and only recently noticed my Rig was seeing it as a 1.25Ghz and after looking in BIOS did not understand about the DRAm and all that when altering processor speed but found a setting automatically detect optimal settings, after doing that and rebooting it is now being seen as a 2.1Ghz which is slow for a Athlon XP2800 is it not?

can anyone explain how I can get more out of it, I will download that CPU-Z program later when at home and show you results before overclocking. The only drawback I think is my motherboard as it is a cheap PC Chips MOBO?

Shed Some Light?

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philwn

I have an Athlon XP 2800 and only recently noticed my Rig was seeing it as a 1.25Ghz and after looking in BIOS did not understand about the DRAm and all that when altering processor speed but found a setting automatically detect optimal settings, after doing that and rebooting it is now being seen as a 2.1Ghz which is slow for a Athlon XP2800 is it not?

can anyone explain how I can get more out of it, I will download that CPU-Z program later when at home and show you results before overclocking. The only drawback I think is my motherboard as it is a cheap PC Chips MOBO?

Shed Some Light?

The standard clock speed for the xp 2800+ is 2.08ghz so it is running at what it is supposed to. There is a possibility of overclocking it, if you are interesed in it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With that Mobo what do you reckon I would be able to overclock it baring in mind I have 2 exhaust fans and one intake fan for cooling as well as standard component fans current temp is around 40 C it says in Bios ill get that program to check later.

Can you list the programs i will require for this, i believe CPU-Z and some kind of motherboard monitor for temps is needed? and the current Vcore is already 1.6 I believe, when I get home i will look at bios and note down all the parts and post them.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

With that Mobo what do you reckon I would be able to overclock it baring in mind I have 2 exhaust fans and one intake fan for cooling as well as standard component fans current temp is around 40 C it says in Bios ill get that program to check later.

Can you list the programs i will require for this, i believe CPU-Z and some kind of motherboard monitor for temps is needed? and the current Vcore is already 1.6 I believe, when I get home i will look at bios and note down all the parts and post them.

if you can, the easiest way to OC it is to change the FSB from 166 to 200, and I am guessing that you have a desktop processor which is locked so you cant change the multiplier settings. You should be able to leave the Vcore where it is. A good monitoring program is motherboard monitor 5 or (mbm5). If you search for it on goole you should be able to find a site to download it from. And, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ill have to wait till i get home but as soon as i do ill take the notes and post and download mbm5 tosee what you reckon, although yesterday when altering processor from 1.2 to the 2.1 it shud be i noticed when altering FSB it automatically altered DRAM or something?

anyway Ill be home in just over 7 hours
dont you just hate work.

Thnaks for your help also

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Thanks Ill have to wait till i get home but as soon as i do ill take the notes and post and download mbm5 tosee what you reckon, although yesterday when altering processor from 1.2 to the 2.1 it shud be i noticed when altering FSB it automatically altered DRAM or something?

anyway Ill be home in just over 7 hours
dont you just hate work.

Thnaks for your help also

Yes, when you increase your FSB your Dram will automatically increase.
Welcome to the Forum
What kind of ram do you have?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashed

if you can, the easiest way to OC it is to change the FSB from 166 to 200, and I am guessing that you have a desktop processor which is locked so you cant change the multiplier settings. You should be able to leave the Vcore where it is. A good monitoring program is motherboard monitor 5 or (mbm5). If you search for it on goole you should be able to find a site to download it from. And, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Just because it's a desktop CPU doesnt mean it's locked!!Look around on this forum as the guys here will tell you the weeks that the bartons were unlocked!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

Yes, when you increase your FSB your Dram will automatically increase.
Welcome to the Forum
What kind of ram do you have?

Im not sure Ive got 512mb DDR Ram but cant remember make or nothing ill have to have a look when im home and let you know.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ge-Force

Just because it's a desktop CPU doesnt mean it's locked!!Look around on this forum as the guys here will tell you the weeks that the bartons were unlocked!!

anything pre week 39 03 is unlocked i believe for the bartons

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine is not that old I bought it brand new in June 04 but unless it was old stock it wont be unlocked and my RAM i believe to be PC2700 still unsure of make

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here we go now I am home I have checked the BIOS settings and my RAM.

RAM = Crucial 512MB DDR333
Athlon XP2800

Detect CPU Frequency = Auto
CPU Frequency = (Greyed Out)
Auto Detect DRAM Frequency = Enabled
CPU/Dram clock ratio = 1:1
DRAM Frequency = (Greyed Out)
Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clk = Enabled
Clock Spread Spectrum enable = Enabled
DRAM Timing Config = Normal Mode
Graphic Winsize = 128MB
IO APIC Support = Enabled
DDR CAS Latency = SPD
AGP Fast Write = Disabled

so wot do i need to change any help appreciated thnx? Sorry for being such a newb, Ive managed my gfx card ok so far tho

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have instaleld Mothboard Monitor and according to it my CPU is at 64C?
Is MBM5 Accurate?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I havent checked bios today but it usually says around 40C and i just been playin Counter-strike for over an hour come back and still no change 64C it hasnt moved at all, dont think works wit my motherboard correctly ohwell
anyway bout overclocking any help?

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

here we go now I am home I have checked the BIOS settings and my RAM.

RAM = Crucial 512MB DDR333
Athlon XP2800

Detect CPU Frequency = Manual

CPU Frequency = change to 200

Auto Detect DRAM Frequency = Enabled
CPU/Dram clock ratio = 1:1 Keep at 1:1
DRAM Frequency = (Greyed Out)
Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clk = Enabled
Clock Spread Spectrum enable = Enabled
DRAM Timing Config = Normal Mode
Graphic Winsize = 128MB
IO APIC Support = Enabled
DDR CAS Latency = SPD
AGP Fast Write = Disabled

so wot do i need to change any help appreciated thnx? Sorry for being such a newb, Ive managed my gfx card ok so far tho

See above
And check your temps. if your temps are ok at 200 try 204 and so on
. Your PC 2700 may hold you back. start looking at some PC3200.

Also there is a setting in your bios called Multi or ratio, what is it set at?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for your help crash.

right the temps in biso are fine so MBM must not work correctly, I overclocked to 200 and it wouldnt boot wouldnt even let me get back in bios so i removed CMOS battery and reset BIOS setting I then just highered it a bit, I got to 175 and it gave me a result of 2.17Ghz and i belive i could of gone higher but left it at that for now.

anyway with these setting i played CS and i gained no extra FPS although benchmarks may be higher but my Loss and Choke had started switching between 3-5n through whole duratuion of game so I ahve now gone back down to 168 instead of 166 gives me a roudned speed of 2.1Ghz I believe as you say its my memory letting me down and I do not know but doesnt MOBO help, my memory and MOBO are fairly cheap ones so i reckon these are what are holding me back. anyway thanks for everyones help ill try again when i have money to upgrade.

Things on the agenda:
1) Pass Driving Test
2) Buy KVM Switch
3) Buy New Memory ( good memory this time )
4) Buy new MOBO

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ge-Force

Yes I know not all desktop cpu's are locked, but the chances are that he has a locked one since it is fairily new.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

thanks for your help crash.

right the temps in biso are fine so MBM must not work correctly, I overclocked to 200 and it wouldnt boot wouldnt even let me get back in bios so i removed CMOS battery and reset BIOS setting I then just highered it a bit, I got to 175 and it gave me a result of 2.17Ghz and i belive i could of gone higher but left it at that for now.

anyway with these setting i played CS and i gained no extra FPS although benchmarks may be higher but my Loss and Choke had started switching between 3-5n through whole duratuion of game so I ahve now gone back down to 168 instead of 166 gives me a roudned speed of 2.1Ghz I believe as you say its my memory letting me down and I do not know but doesnt MOBO help, my memory and MOBO are fairly cheap ones so i reckon these are what are holding me back. anyway thanks for everyones help ill try again when i have money to upgrade.

Things on the agenda:
1) Pass Driving Test
2) Buy KVM Switch
3) Buy New Memory ( good memory this time )
4) Buy new MOBO

It is your video card that controls your fps, and your ram might not be able to keep up with the 200fsb, thats why.. and there should be a jumper to reset the bios insteand of having to remove the battery. You can try OC'ing your video card and you can probably get more fps. You can change your fsb:ram ratio so the ram fsb is lower than cpu fsb.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Ive already overclocked my gfx card succersfully
from - 300-800
To - 445-911

Holly shoot, thats a hell of an OC

Edit- Oops I read that wrong, But its still a very nice OC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts