Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now Im running an Athlon XP 3000+ @ 2.2ghz.
Im trying to decide if its worth it to upgrade to an Athlon 64 3000+ in about 2mos.
from my understanding of the AMD road map the only 3000+ 754 is the newcastle. asuming my ram will let me reach the same 2.2ghz speed would it be woth my time and money to upgrade? how much of a diffrence will there be?

Also are the temps compare able between the 2 CPU's? cause I d like to use the H20 kit I just got on the 64 if I do decide to do it. it keeps my Barton below 50*c at full load

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDriver

right now Im running an Athlon XP 3000+ @ 2.2ghz.
Im trying to decide if its worth it to upgrade to an Athlon 64 3000+ in about 2mos.
from my understanding of the AMD road map the only 3000+ 754 is the newcastle. asuming my ram will let me reach the same 2.2ghz speed would it be woth my time and money to upgrade? how much of a diffrence will there be?

Also are the temps compare able between the 2 CPU's? cause I d like to use the H20 kit I just got on the 64 if I do decide to do it. it keeps my Barton below 50*c at full load

IMO, I think the upgrade would be a reasonable jump from your current XP to a 64. An A64 3000+ coupled with a good motherboard (for example: The famously known MSI K8N Neo, or DFI UT 250) would provide an excellent basis for a gaming system (in which I assume you intend on using it for). From my understanding, the A64 3000+ not only come in NewCastle cores, but also ClawHammers, however I think NewCastles are the laster version of the A64 3000+.

In addition, if your gonna use the above combination, getting some decent/reasonable RAM (over your PC2700) should be considered. THe A64 3000+ should easily reach 2.4 Ghz, however as you have already noted your RAM will not allow you to do this. I suggest you consider getting at least 3200+ speeds, as the A64 (coupled with either the MSI or DFI) has alot of potential and I'm sure the extra cost would justify the extra performance you gain.

I'm sure you will see some decent changes. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDriver

ok what I have now is in my profile in my first post.

in 2 1/2mos time this is what I could afford.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1MB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor for DTR Notebooks

MSI "K8N Neo-FSR" NVIDIA nForce3 250GB Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU

would that combo work and be a good replacement for the CPU and board I have now?

I think that it would but as he mentioned in order to take full advantage of those new parts you need some ram that can keep up with it. If you want to look into get some memory I would recommend OCZ brand I have a stick from them i got from newegg.com its their preformace DDR400 speed and has taken everything i can throw at it.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Get an A64 3200+ that is based on the Winchester Core so that you will have the ability to upgrade to future S939 CPU's. I would also suggest getting RAM that is rated higher than PC3200 if you are planning on doing any overclocking. You will be much happier with the results. nForce 4 is going to be worth the wait.:aacool:

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Socket 939 is a waste, get a 3000 or 3200 DTR and a DFI board and overclock the bajesus out of it and you'll beat any Socket 939 chip at less than 1/3 the cost.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Socket 939 is a waste, get a 3000 or 3200 DTR and a DFI board and overclock the bajesus out of it and you'll beat any Socket 939 chip at less than 1/3 the cost.

Roger that, deciding whether to go socket 754 or 939 is basically determined by how thick your wallet is. If your on a budget do do what Yiffy said: 3200+ coupled with DFI (MSI Neo is also good) mobo.

But if you have the perception (and of course the ability) of Richy Rich, then 939 is not a bad move either

1 - 8 of 8 Posts