Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to get a response from the motherboard page, but I guess all of the folks are over here. I know this is motherboard related, but nobody responded over there.

I have heard that the XP-M 2600s are excellent overclockers but am unsure how it will perform in my current KT-400 (333Mhz bus) motherboard.

Other than the lack of 400Mhz bus support, the A7V8X is, in theory, an excellent choice from an overclocker's point of view. The bios has voltage options of 1.65v to 1.85v, and there is a jumper on the mother motherboard to allow 2.05v. In addition, the multiplier goes up to 24.

From what I have read, the bus on the ASUS A7V8X can be increased to about 175-180 in most cases but becomes unstable after that.

Do you think it would be possible to overclock the XP-M 2600 using say something like 167x15.5 (2589) or something like that to approximate the 2600Mhz speed that others seem achieve on air? I think my good 3200 memory and Volcano 12 are up to the task. What do you experienced overclockers on this board think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Robb

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieHe
I tried to get a response from the motherboard page, but I guess all of the folks are over here. I know this is motherboard related, but nobody responded over there.

I have heard that the XP-M 2600s are excellent overclockers but am unsure how it will perform in my current KT-400 (333Mhz bus) motherboard.

Other than the lack of 400Mhz bus support, the A7V8X is, in theory, an excellent choice from an overclocker's point of view. The bios has voltage options of 1.65v to 1.85v, and there is a jumper on the mother motherboard to allow 2.05v. In addition, the multiplier goes up to 24.

From what I have read, the bus on the ASUS A7V8X can be increased to about 175-180 in most cases but becomes unstable after that.

Do you think it would be possible to overclock the XP-M 2600 using say something like 167x15.5 (2589) or something like that to approximate the 2600Mhz speed that others seem achieve on air? I think my good 3200 memory and Volcano 12 are up to the task. What do you experienced overclockers on this board think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Robb
You should be able to get around the overclock that you want. But I suggest not unsing a half multiplier because that will kill your memory bandwith.

Maybe shoot for something like 170x15, that wont be overclocking the bus much and should be highly attainable with the XPM2600 provided that your PSU is stable enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

You should be able to get around the overclock that you want. But I suggest not unsing a half multiplier because that will kill your memory bandwith.

Maybe shoot for something like 170x15, that wont be overclocking the bus much and should be highly attainable with the XPM2600 provided that your PSU is stable enough.

Thanks a lot for your response! Maybe I can even learn something here.

How does using a half multiplier kill memory bandwith? Does it stress a processor more to be overclocked in terms of its multiplier or its front side bus? Right now I am using Tb 2800 (333 bus) and can't seem to get the multiplier up due to its apparently being locked. Does that sound right? I just want to make sure it is my current processor that won't overclock as the result of my motherboard.

What does PSU stand for?

Thanks a lot in advance for any info you can provide for my education here.

Robb

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

How does using a half multiplier kill memory bandwith? Does it stress a processor more to be overclocked in terms of its multiplier or its front side bus? Right now I am using Tb 2800 (333 bus) and can't seem to get the multiplier up due to its apparently being locked. Does that sound right? I just want to make sure it is my current processor that won't overclock as the result of my motherboard.

What does PSU stand for?

Robb
Hi i have used that particular mobo to oc a barton 2600<1909MHz> (locked) to the level of 2300 MHZ which is involves puttting the bus up to 200Mhz however in my case i turned the memory speed from Auto to 333Mhz for this to work , when the memory was @ 200/auto it kep failing prime 95 after bout an hour.

Psu is a Power Supply Unit basically a transformer *like a phone charger - but many times more powerful* that converts the 230Volts(EU)/110Volts(US,Japan,Canada) to the 3.3volts, 5volts and 12v olts that various computer parts require. good psus can deliver a high level of Amps on each of these lines and can maintain those amps.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

What does PSU stand for?

Robb
using half the multiplier just kills the overall cpu speed.
it stresses the processor the same per given speed (so a speed of 2300 from 11.5*200 will stress it the same as 10*200)
however overclocking using fsb stresses the northbridge and memory (unless you lock memory speed) and can stress the AGP and PCi buses if they are not locked (33Mhz-PCi,66Mhz-AGP your motherboard does/can lock em).
A Tb 2800 is v rare (i mean only for a few review sites and they were recalled) i think you have a barton. only mobile processors have unlocked multipliers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sai_Jao

using half the multiplier just kills the overall cpu speed.
it stresses the processor the same per given speed (so a speed of 2300 from 11.5*200 will stress it the same as 10*200)
however overclocking using fsb stresses the northbridge and memory (unless you lock memory speed) and can stress the AGP and PCi buses if they are not locked (33Mhz-PCi,66Mhz-AGP your motherboard does/can lock em).
A Tb 2800 is v rare (i mean only for a few review sites and they were recalled) i think you have a barton. only mobile processors have unlocked multipliers

Thanks for the info! I have a 2800+ running at 2250 with only 256Mb of L2 cache. I purchased it as a 2800 and it reads that way without overclocking. I purchased it in February of 2003 online for about 400.00 (or close to it) at the time. I wished I had a Barton running at 2250. That would, or supposedly would, punch it up to 3200+.

My thinking is that if I could get a Barton in 2600 XP-M up to, or close to a true 2600, then I would have a significant boost over my current 2250 model.

Why were the 2800s recalled by the way?

Thanks,

RH

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Hi i have used that particular mobo to oc a barton 2600<1909MHz> (locked) to the level of 2300 MHZ which is involves puttting the bus up to 200Mhz however in my case i turned the memory speed from Auto to 333Mhz for this to work , when the memory was @ 200/auto it kep failing prime 95 after bout an hour.

Psu is a Power Supply Unit basically a transformer *like a phone charger - but many times more powerful* that converts the 230Volts(EU)/110Volts(US,Japan,Canada) to the 3.3volts, 5volts and 12v olts that various computer parts require. good psus can deliver a high level of Amps on each of these lines and can maintain those amps.
Thanks for info! You had a A7V8X up to 200 fsb? Wow!! I did not think you could do that with a KT-400. What is it that you are doing when you turned up the memory speed to 333? I think that is in the bios. Are you stressing main memory? I am using 3200 speed SDRAM, so that should be able to take it, don't you think? I appreciate your input!

Robb

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for info! You had a A7V8X up to 200 fsb? Wow!! I did not think you could do that with a KT-400. What is it that you are doing when you turned up the memory speed to 333? I think that is in the bios. Are you stressing main memory? I am using 3200 speed SDRAM, so that should be able to take it, don't you think? I appreciate your input!

Robb
first thing memory speed i quoted was as the ddr speed - 166Mhz in real speed, no this was not stressing the memory. yes officially the KT-400 does not support a FSB of 200 but thats y we oc, damn even kt400 Asrock mobos can be pushed over 200 FSB. it was on my brother in laws pc , he had downloaded a *edited* bios ,dunno where from -google for 1 but i think you can turn your fsb up to 200+ without getting that bios (it had extra voltage options thats y he downloaded it). 3200 ram runs @ 200/400ddr mhz (to get the 'PC' rating multiply the ddr speed by 8 (means 8 bytes) or the non ddr speed(of ddr mem) by 16 (16 bytes) so 400 * 8= 3200B/sec or 3.2GB(ytes)/sec.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the info! I have a 2800+ running at 2250 with only 256Mb of L2 cache. I purchased it as a 2800 and it reads that way without overclocking. I purchased it in February of 2003 online for about 400.00 (or close to it) at the time. I wished I had a Barton running at 2250. That would, or supposedly would, punch it up to 3200+.

My thinking is that if I could get a Barton in 2600 XP-M up to, or close to a true 2600, then I would have a significant boost over my current 2250 model.

Why were the 2800s recalled by the way?

Thanks,

RH
yea thats a throughbred al rite , the 2800s(TB) were recalled due to Amd not being able to supply them for any time after their release , amd were moving thier production plants to barton just as the 2800(tb) was produced so ther wouldnt be many (also from the reviews there are i heard they thro up quite a bit of heat)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

yea thats a throughbred al rite , the 2800s(TB) were recalled due to Amd not being able to supply them for any time after their release , amd were moving thier production plants to barton just as the 2800(tb) was produced so ther wouldnt be many (also from the reviews there are i heard they thro up quite a bit of heat)
Thanks for the info. I find that at about 55c, my current processor becomes unstable. Does 55c sound like a high temp? I have only ever been able to overclock my current processor to 2360 or thereabouts.

Robb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

first thing memory speed i quoted was as the ddr speed - 166Mhz in real speed, no this was not stressing the memory. yes officially the KT-400 does not support a FSB of 200 but thats y we oc, damn even kt400 Asrock mobos can be pushed over 200 FSB. it was on my brother in laws pc , he had downloaded a *edited* bios ,dunno where from -google for 1 but i think you can turn your fsb up to 200+ without getting that bios (it had extra voltage options thats y he downloaded it). 3200 ram runs @ 200/400ddr mhz (to get the 'PC' rating multiply the ddr speed by 8 (means 8 bytes) or the non ddr speed(of ddr mem) by 16 (16 bytes) so 400 * 8= 3200B/sec or 3.2GB(ytes)/sec.
Does overclocking the fsb like that overstress your pci bus to make it unstable. How did you get around that?

Thanks,

Robb

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
55c is too hot for overclocked processors, overclocking FSB does overclock PCI bus, unless you have a lock. Your motherboard should have one.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Does overclocking the fsb like that overstress your pci bus to make it unstable. How did you get around that?

Thanks,

Robb

yep sure does unless you can set the speed of the pci/agp buses or have a lock on them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts