Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems like athlon xp's are better at overclocking than athlon 64's. why is that? coz i thought that the more recent the release, the better it was. was it beneficial for me having the processor i have at the moment? i bought it about a month ago.

advice please...

thanks

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I wouldn't say that, seems like the average XP overclock I see is 2.5GHz... most Athlon 64s are doing AT LEAST that, and an Athlon 64 is faster than XP clock for clock anyway.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I wouldn't say that, seems like the average XP overclock I see is 2.5GHz... most Athlon 64s are doing AT LEAST that, and an Athlon 64 is faster than XP clock for clock anyway.

true that yiffy.... but one thing I've noticed is stability issues with the 64's... most of that coems with the fact that not alot of software can really utilize it like a 64 bit processor... now I have heard of incredible results with the Windows XP 64-bit edition... but it's hard to find that retail... as soon as I get a 64 bit processor I can tinker with my copies of it... I'll let the boards know what it turns up.

---edit---

Also... XP's are alot cheaper so people are more willing to push them than they are their higher end 64's heheh

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i still have 390 bucks left on my budget. australian bucks if you thought i meant u.s. would that be enough to get 1 gig of good enough ram then?

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by apprentice21

i still have 390 bucks left on my budget. australian bucks if you thought i meant u.s. would that be enough to get 1 gig of good enough ram then?

I don't know what the exchance rate is from AU$ to US$. But the US$ is so weak right now that I assume that's equal to or more than $390 USD. So yes, you can get 1GB of decent RAM and stay in your budget. (If you can, check into buying from a US mail-order company; you'll get more for your money because of the weak dollar.)

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
XP chips are weaker than 64bit chips, but as of right now there isnt too much difference between the 2. a 2.6GHz XP-M is equall to (and slightly better in some tasks) than a 2.4GHz opteron with 1MB cach. Thats not bad performance at all from an XP chip.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ket

XP chips are weaker than 64bit chips, but as of right now there isnt too much difference between the 2. a 2.6GHz XP-M is equall to (and slightly better in some tasks) than a 2.4GHz opteron with 1MB cach. Thats not bad performance at all from an XP chip.

I dont know about an opteron, but a 2.6ghz XP is chip is noticeably slower than a 2.6ghz A64 chip. I'm talking from my own experience.

When I had my XP mobile @ 2.56ghz it was still in the 10,000+ in sandra benchmarks and with the A64 at around the same speeds I'm in the 12,000+ range. Thats quite a difference, plus I dont need a benchmark to tell me that, games, windows, everything loads so much faster.

Don't get me wrong, the XP series of cpu's are great but AMD took their time and totally redisigned their CPU's to make them better.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
opterons arent full 64bit CPUs though, they are missing a few things which make the A64 so good, and opterons are only 754 if i remember right. i just included the opteron as its a low class 64bit cpu VS. a 32bit cpu. out and out comparisons of any 32 vs 64 bit cpus though are kind of like apples to oranges.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Not really to much to compare, 64's are a whole new brand of processors in themselves, (available for open market). The XP's are good if you do lighter gaming or just fiddle around... And you could get really good RAM with that money.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
i wouldnt say lighter gaming, ive seen XP machines runing same details as A64 machines fine, the only time the A64 becomes really noticeably better is for stuff like video encoding or benchmarks.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ket

i wouldnt say lighter gaming, ive seen XP machines runing same details as A64 machines fine, the only time the A64 becomes really noticeably better is for stuff like video encoding or benchmarks.

The XP's can do heavy gaming but, the A64 machine will most likely run the same game with the same video card and memory @ higher frames per second. The cpu's are just faster clock per clock, and that alone will improve frames per second and the loading/decompressing of the game.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

The XP's can do heavy gaming but, the A64 machine will most likely run the same game with the same video card and memory @ higher frames per second. The cpu's are just faster clock per clock, and that alone will improve frames per second and the loading/decompressing of the game.

very true!

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

exactly, higher FPS, whats another 30FPS if your already running @ 120FPS on an XP machine though

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ket said:
opterons arent full 64bit CPUs though, they are missing a few things which make the A64 so good, and opterons are only 754 if i remember right. i just included the opteron as its a low class 64bit cpu VS. a 32bit cpu.[END QUOTE=Ket]

Hi Ket, pretty sure Opterons are Socket 940 and are basically FX chips so not 'low-class', in fact that's why they are so expensive! But being server chips they have a few caveats, eg needing EEC Ram. OTOH if you need 16GB or more (!) Opteron is one to go for as FX will 'only' see 4GB ;-) And of course support for 2/4/8 way architecture depending on model...

Maybe you were thinking of Sempron? There are Sempron models for Socket A and Socket 754 and I think it may be the latter you were using as an example because they are sort of 32-bit A64s (if that makes sense). The 3100+ has 256KB cache + lacks x86-64 extensions but is still basically a 'Paris' core A64. HTH

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
may well of been, got a lot of pc knowledge floating around in me brain, it all blurs into one sometimes

·
Registered
27 Posts
The decision between XP and 64 should be based upon how much you are willing to spend. Socket 939 will be AMD's forseeable future until DDR2 support is released a LONG time down the road. XPs are cheaper yet still fast, but lack 64 bit extensions and are being replaced quickly by the new 64s.

I am using a 64 FX and with my mobo, its multiplier is unlocked, putting me in OC heaven.
If you are on a budget however, go for the XP mobile, as they are already unlocked and have remarkable performance for the buck.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ket

opterons arent full 64bit CPUs though, they are missing a few things which make the A64 so good, and opterons are only 754 if i remember right. i just included the opteron as its a low class 64bit cpu VS. a 32bit cpu. out and out comparisons of any 32 vs 64 bit cpus though are kind of like apples to oranges.

Opterons are 940 not 754

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashed

Opterons are 940 not 754

The already took care of that

Pleiades said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ket

opterons arent full 64bit CPUs though, they are missing a few things which make the A64 so good, and opterons are only 754 if i remember right. i just included the opteron as its a low class 64bit cpu VS. a 32bit cpu.[END QUOTE=Ket]

Hi Ket, pretty sure Opterons are Socket 940 and are basically FX chips so not 'low-class', in fact that's why they are so expensive! But being server chips they have a few caveats, eg needing EEC Ram. OTOH if you need 16GB or more (!) Opteron is one to go for as FX will 'only' see 4GB ;-) And of course support for 2/4/8 way architecture depending on model...

Maybe you were thinking of Sempron? There are Sempron models for Socket A and Socket 754 and I think it may be the latter you were using as an example because they are sort of 32-bit A64s (if that makes sense). The 3100+ has 256KB cache + lacks x86-64 extensions but is still basically a 'Paris' core A64. HTH

1 - 20 of 26 Posts