Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my replacement, Fan, Heatsink, and Shroud today from XFX, it was quick and I didn't have to RMA ^_^. I was wondering, since my first fan died and I always had it at 100% fan speed, would this be a major strain on the fan it self, or is 100% not a problem.

What fan speeds do you suggest to keep it at?

+1 Rep for helpful responses.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337LutZ View Post
You can use 100% fanspeed, its not a problem.

But it should regulate itself, or you can always use MSI afterburner with custom fan profiles.
What about auto fan speed?

·
Registered
588 Posts
It really depends on how efficient the cooler is. You also don't want to crank it up to 100% because most fans can get extremely loud at those speeds, especially the blower style fans that have recently been adopted by cards within the last few years.
Running auto fan speed is often a good choice for most situations, however it adjusts speeds very reservingly so your card may still get hotter than it should.
Run something demanding that really gets your card working, like FurMark and monitor your temps closely. Let it peak and manually set your card so that on load it doesn't go above 80C or so. While the card is rated to operate at higher temperatures than that, it's never a good idea to go much higher. Currently I run my 4890's at 40% fan speed each and it does alright for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts