Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm about the purchase an ATI 5970 to upgrade my current video card (8800 GTS 512MB) and well i was wondering about how much performance increase i would get.

My specs are...

AMD 5000+ 2.6GHZ dual core
4GB Ram DDR2 800
8800 GTS 512MB
1TB HDD
850watt PSU

I'm well aware my PC is pretty old and i will have some bottleneck issue with the new card, i won't get the full potential of the card. But i'd like to know if i would still get a significant performance increase, fps when playing games by just updating my card? Or my PC specs are going to make the upgrade not worth it.

So this is my plan so far... If i can just update the video card and get to play almost any game on MAX setting with just that then i'll go this way. If not i'll update my whole PC and update the video card later.... my budget is limited.

Please let me know if i should just buy the video card.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't buy the 5970. Not that I have anything against these brutal powerhouses - hell, I have 2 and love both of them to pieces - but for the money you could purchase a new AM3 mobo, some DDR3 ram, a Phenom II X6 1055T and still have change left over for something like a 5770.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Upgrade your cpu, If u will use resolution like 1920x1080 in games with HD 5970 and new cpu(probably, 4 cores with good ghz) u will have good perfomance, without big bottleneck

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdatmo
View Post

Here is a good review of how different cpus can alter gaming performance. It doesn't use a 5970 or your AMD 5000+, but it will help give you an idea of how much a cpu will bottleneck performance.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ance,2619.html

This!

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
HUGE bottleneck
but if i was you id wait a bit longer for bulldozer! its coming out in a few months!
it it will OWN
waitt for a good AM3+ mobo with some DDR3 ram and save up for a beasty card later

·
Registered
348 Posts
+1 for the new pc.. budget out a little more money and you can get a nice am3 setup + 5850/gtx460 and get wayyy more frames if you had just thrown that 5970 in

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
personally, Id build a new one. Or if possible, just upgrade to like a phenom 1/2, and then depending on the PSU, a 5970

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
When buying a card that expensive you will know if you need it. I would suggest something a little more low end. Trust me if you need a 5970 YOU WILL KNOW!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow thanks for all the quick replies guys

I think i'll start building my self a new PC!

i can either get a Phenom II 965 for 150$ or an Intel I7 940 for 280$ both brand new in the box.

If i go with the Intel i7 940 i'll set it up like this:

ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard for 180$
Patriot Memory Extreme Performance Viper PC3-10666 Enhanced Latency - 6.0GB Tri-Channel Kit 140$

I'll keep my current HDD with the PSU and Case.

Or is the Phenom II 965 a better choice for 150$ less?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Both are good choices so go with which one you want especially if its just for gaming. Although the I7's are really easy to work with and OC, ect but if you get an AM3+ board you could bulldozer sooner and save the cash for that. 1366 is a great platform but its nearing its end

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robitussin
View Post

Both are good choices so go with which one you want especially if its just for gaming. Although the I7's are really easy to work with and OC, ect but if you get an AM3+ board you could bulldozer sooner and save the cash for that. 1366 is a great platform but its nearing its end

I hear a lot of people talking about bulldozer lately... Is it really that big of deal? I mean if it is i'm willing to save up my money a bit longer and go with that i guess.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angeluszero
View Post

I hear a lot of people talking about bulldozer lately... Is it really that big of deal? I mean if it is i'm willing to save up my money a bit longer and go with that i guess.

i would hold out to see what it brings to the table and obviously the release of that will bring *price drops* so ye hold out man.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rollinsoundzboy
View Post

i would hold out to see what it brings to the table and obviously the release of that will bring *price drops* so ye hold out man.

Bulldozer's not to be out until next summer. I.e. you're expecting him to hold out for a long time. I mean, why stop there? Why not wait until Ivy Bridge, or the next big thing after that?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
build a new pc sell it for more money
build another one sell it for more money
build another one and resell it again

build a spaceship to go on an alien planet and take their hardwares and OS to make the most powerfull machine the world as ever known . powered by a 25 feet outlet on a nuclear reactor and call it Garry the almighty . and then play some game on Chemical 3D injection in the eye for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity
View Post

Bulldozer's not to be out until next summer. I.e. you're expecting him to hold out for a long time. I mean, why stop there? Why not wait until Ivy Bridge, or the next big thing after that?

I'll actually upgrade to this...

Phenom II X-4 955 3.2GHz
MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
6GB DDR3 Corsair memory.

Since the Mobo is AM3 i can upgrade to Bulldozer whenever it comes out....

What do you guys think?

By the way i'm getting this setup for 340$

1 - 20 of 22 Posts