Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've overclocked my 9600 Pro but it'll only go as far as 400/200 before it starts artifacting in Counter Strike Source. Does that sound about right? I thought I could go higher.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,410 Posts
How did you OC your card.....most ati cards are lock so they cann't be OC'ed.....you need atitool or radlinker\
adclocker to unlock your card.....I use atitool and my 9600xt runs at 540\\331.

Hope this helps
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
^^ err.......no they arent, only ATIs crappy cards are bios locked from OCing although they have pretty much given that up now, last card i knew that was bios locked was the 9600NP, apart from that all other ATI cards OC freely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ItsLasher

How did you OC your card.....most ati cards are lock so they cann't be OC'ed.....you need atitool or radlinker\
adclocker to unlock your card.....I use atitool and my 9600xt runs at 540\\331.

Hope this helps


Where do you get the "atitool" I would like to try and unlock and over clock my card, but really have no Idea how to even start. I have the xtasy ATI 9600 256. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by ItsLasher

How did you OC your card.....most ati cards are lock so they cann't be OC'ed.....you need atitool or radlinker\
adclocker to unlock your card.....I use atitool and my 9600xt runs at 540\\331.

Hope this helps


I used ATI Tray Tool to OC my card. Someone told me in another thread that I can't unlock my pipelines because my card is a R350 model. Was he wrong in telling me that? Can I actually unlock pipelines for this card? Please advise.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,410 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by simonsez

I used ATI Tray Tool to OC my card. Someone told me in another thread that I can't unlock my pipelines because my card is a R350 model. Was he wrong in telling me that? Can I actually unlock pipelines for this card? Please advise.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=725

get ATITOOL here^ and it will give you the option to unlock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ItsLasher

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=725

get ATITOOL here^ and it will give you the option to unlock

Ok great Ill down load that when I get home and OC my card. I got one last question though. I have read that in order to OC Vid crads you some times need to changed the fan or heat sinc on your card. Is this in connection to really trying to OC your card at super high levels, or just to make sure that the heat does not get to high on the card?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by simonsez

I used ATI Tray Tool to OC my card. Someone told me in another thread that I can't unlock my pipelines because my card is a R350 model. Was he wrong in telling me that? Can I actually unlock pipelines for this card? Please advise.

No you cant unlock pipelines on a 9600, it has 4 rendering pipelines and 4 rendering pipelines only


your core wont be an R350 either, its an RV350
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ket

No you cant unlock pipelines on a 9600, it has 4 rendering pipelines and 4 rendering pipelines only


your core wont be an R350 either, its an RV350


Ok maybe I am missing something but this is not working as everyone else describes it. I down loaded ATItool and got my max core and memory speed up past its default but it doesnt seem to have increased that much. Default is core 324 memory 196. when I upped the core to 390 the Memory went down to 191. I ran the 3D mark 2001 test and got a default test result at 9011, on default. When I made the changes I have listed it came out 9527. Anything above these settings seems to crash the test and the system runs un stable. I think I am doing something wrong. if I am please let me know. I have read Ket's VC guide and stuff and set my BIOS as suggested. I have seen some performance increase but still dont want to damage the card. I am kinda lost reall
hehe any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Oh yea it also doesnt load the OC settings when I start comp, I think thats easy to fix though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by jatw

Ok maybe I am missing something but this is not working as everyone else describes it. I down loaded ATItool and got my max core and memory speed up past its default but it doesnt seem to have increased that much. Default is core 324 memory 196. when I upped the core to 390 the Memory went down to 191. I ran the 3D mark 2001 test and got a default test result at 9011, on default. When I made the changes I have listed it came out 9527. Anything above these settings seems to crash the test and the system runs un stable. I think I am doing something wrong. if I am please let me know. I have read Ket's VC guide and stuff and set my BIOS as suggested. I have seen some performance increase but still dont want to damage the card. I am kinda lost reall
hehe any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Oh yea it also doesnt load the OC settings when I start comp, I think thats easy to fix though.

Ok last post on this and thank you all for your help. I re-ran the atitool and got pretty much the same results that the original thread was started on 400/200. Seeing as my card is fairly new I dont want to stress it too much, so should I just OC the card a bit and take what I can get, or is it gonna run ok for a while with the regular stock cooler it has on it and the 400/200 OC maxed settings. Games and everything run fine I just want my stuff to last a while as well as perform. Thanks all!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by jatw

Ok last post on this and thank you all for your help. I re-ran the atitool and got pretty much the same results that the original thread was started on 400/200. Seeing as my card is fairly new I dont want to stress it too much, so should I just OC the card a bit and take what I can get, or is it gonna run ok for a while with the regular stock cooler it has on it and the 400/200 OC maxed settings. Games and everything run fine I just want my stuff to last a while as well as perform. Thanks all!!!!!!!

I think the problem with our cards, as mentioned in prior replies, is that our core is set at rv350. Rv350 have limited pipelines so we can't even unlock them. There's nothing to unlock. The only thing we can do is OC but we need an aftermarket cooling system.

I got the Artic Cool rev. 3 fan and it lets me get my OC to 400/200 but that's as far it goes before artifacting. Sucks, I know. But hey, at least we can overclock a bit. I'll just have to save up for a better card.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by jatw

Ok maybe I am missing something but this is not working as everyone else describes it. I down loaded ATItool and got my max core and memory speed up past its default but it doesnt seem to have increased that much. Default is core 324 memory 196. when I upped the core to 390 the Memory went down to 191. I ran the 3D mark 2001 test and got a default test result at 9011, on default. When I made the changes I have listed it came out 9527. Anything above these settings seems to crash the test and the system runs un stable. I think I am doing something wrong. if I am please let me know. I have read Ket's VC guide and stuff and set my BIOS as suggested. I have seen some performance increase but still dont want to damage the card. I am kinda lost reall
hehe any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Oh yea it also doesnt load the OC settings when I start comp, I think thats easy to fix though.

you want to use something simpler than atitool so things are easier to understand, uninstall atitool and install radclocker
your flying a little more "blind" with it but its probably going to work out a lot easier for you to understand
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top