Overclock.net banner

ATI/AMD RAID0 < Intel RAID0?

5271 Views 9 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  bad_haze
Why am I not getting those huge burst speeds like everyone else? I am new to ATI RAID0 setups so is there some sort of driver or utility program I am missing to get the most from the controller?
See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Open the Intel Matrix Manager, right click on the array, and enable Cache Back.

EDIT: Since that's an AMD/ATI controller and not Intel... is there an RAID utility provided by AMD? It definitely seems to be a caching issue.
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
You'll see a larger increase with more drives.
Quote:


Originally Posted by rpm666
View Post

You'll see a larger increase with more drives.

I don't think so.. it still seems like Write Back Caching isn't enabled. You can tell by the shape of the performance graph. HD performance should always be downward sloping (performance decreases as the head moves inward on the platter). RAID should also be downward sloping as well. If the graph is a flatline, then you know something is bottlenecking. If it jumps around, then it probably is a caching issue.
See less See more
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Open the Intel Matrix Manager, right click on the array, and enable Cache Back.

EDIT: Since that's an AMD/ATI controller and not Intel... is there an RAID utility provided by AMD? It definitely seems to be a caching issue.

But I have an ATI RAID controller not an INTEL one. I'll check to see if there is something similar to that for ATI RAID controllers.
See less See more
Quote:


Originally Posted by bad_haze
View Post

But I have an ATI RAID controller not an INTEL one. I'll check to see if there is something similar to that for ATI RAID controllers.

I believe it might be called ATI RAID Console.

ATI/AMD is known for inferior RAID when compared to Intel or even NVIDIA.
See less See more
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

I believe it might be called ATI RAID Console.

ATI/AMD is known for inferior RAID when compared to Intel or even NVIDIA.

I found a tool called ATI RAID Xpert. It was on my install CD
It showed that my cache was enabled but NCQ was not. So I enabled NCQ for both drives and the performance went down a bit. I am still getting that "W" shape though and my burst speed is still nowhere near the levels you are getting with INTEL controllers... below are screen shots of the ATI RAID Xpert data reported for my hard drives and RAID setup.




See less See more
7
And the last two pics...

See less See more
2
Disable NCQ since it add overhead and hurts performance for single user systems. Did you remove the force SATA 1.5Gb/s jumper on both HDs?

Are you running SB600, SB650, or SB700? Let's go find some benchmarks and see if anyone mentioned any problems.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Disable NCQ since it add overhead and hurts performance for single user systems. Did you remove the force SATA 1.5Gb/s jumper on both HDs?

Are you running SB600, SB650, or SB700? Let's go find some benchmarks and see if anyone mentioned any problems.
Ok, I will disable the NCQ and to let you know I am using the SB700 south bridge.
See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top