Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, sorry ahead of time for one of those topics that seem to be asked all the time.

So, I'm choosing a new video card and I have been doing the research and I have to admit that I'm getting pretty confused. I'm not looking for advice on which card to get, but more along the lines about should it be an ATI card or Nvidia card. I have been out of the loop for a couple of years and have not been keeping up with current news. I have always had an Nvidia card - wouldn't consider myself a fanboy - but I do want to make the decision well informed. So far I have found three huge sticking points I need advice with.

First off, I see that Nvidia is still at DirectX10, while ATI is at DirectX11. Since this will probably be the last card I buy for a couple of years, I was leaning towards the ATI. But then again, it will probably be awhile before there is a wide assortment of games using DirectX11. I've also read that Nvidia has claimed that they are not so concerned with developing cards that use a newer DirectX. I can understand that if they are focusing more on other features, but I guess I don't really understand their reasoning. So in the end I ask myself if that really matters.

Second, is PhysX. I like games using PhysX, and I would like to play more games using realistic physics. From what I understand ATI doesn't support PhysX like Nvidia does. I've read the sticky and other articles about using a Nvidia card as a secondary for PhysX support paired with an ATI primary. But then again it seems like Nvidia is not supporting that with later drivers. So if I bought an ATI card and wanted PhysX support I probably should buy a separate PhysX card?

Finally, after looking at various benchmarks (mostly at Tom's Hardware) it seems like Nvidia cards handle AA and AF better than ATI. Of course these are before ATI's 5850, so I don't know if that is still accurate.

I've read quite a bit, - I just read the Dec. videocard guide on Tom's Hardware - I'm sure there is more, but as I research the pros and cons between the cards are getting more and more fuzzy. It seems that whatever I do, I'll be giving up something. Right now PhysX is more important to me, but then again I really won't be able to replace this card a year from now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You can actually run PhysX on an ATI card if you have Windows 7.

Check out this thread: http://www.overclock.net/ati/591872-...ows-7-ati.html

Step by step on how to enable it.

As far as DirectX 11 goes, it will be here sooner than you think. There are quite a few games set for a spring release that utilize DX11. ATI will have a full line out by then while nVidia MIGHT have a couple of them out. Given the history, the nVidia cards will most likely be more expensive and more than likely not be worth the price difference.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts