Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my 8800gt appears to have died so I ordered an ATI 5770 card, and since it won't get here till at least Monday, I decided to use an old ATI HD 2400 PRO card I had in a spare computer while I wait.

This is where my problem begins =]. The HD 2400 pro works fine with my spare 17" lcd monitor, but gets absolutely no signal with my 32" 1080p phillips hdtv (which I have been using as my primary display with the 8800gt). The TV had worked fine with my nvidia card and was detected instantly with the nvidia control panel, without jumping through any hoops.

I am worried that this problem will still be present when I install the 5770, and if I can't resolve it, I will have the return the card or cancel the order. I'm assuming there is a conflict between the catalyst drivers and my particular phillips tv, having googled "hdtv no signal ati", I found numerous posts around the internet pointing out problems with phillips on ati cards (among other brands of tvs).

Here's some things I've tried/some details about the issue.

-Turning everything off and connecting the hdtv (via hdmi->dvi cable) to the dvi port on the video card (no monitor connected). This resulted in the boot images showing up (I can get in to the BIOS etc, works fine on the monitor). It gets to the "Starting Windows" screen then goes to the No Signal screen as windows boots and the drivers are loaded. I am unable to see anything on my display.

-Booting up with a 17" lcd monitor plugged into the VGA port, along with the hdtv plugged into the dvi port. This results in both displays showing the boot information/bios etc. However, I am able to get in to windows on the 17", at which point the 32" gets no signal.

-Using the 17" as the primary display I went in to CCC->Desktops and Displays (I have enabled force showing tv etc) But the TV is still not shown as a display.

-Weird issue observed here: If I change the source on the hdtv to HDMI Port 2 (I have 4 ports) and plug the HDMI cable in to Port 1 (unplug then plug back in), I see my display on the list but I am still unable to change any settings and still receive no signal. I am able to set the hdtv as my main display at this point, but this still results in no signal (the 17" is turned into a seconday display showing no desktop icons etc, until I unplug the 32"). When I change the source back to hdmi port 1, my display disappears from the list. I have tried every combination of hdmi ports, but none of them worked. It's odd that the only way I can get CCC to recognize the TV is to plug it in to an "inactive" port (one I am not using as the source on the tv).

-I've tried unplugging and replugging just about everything I can imagine.

-My hdtv is advertised as 120hz, but it ran as 60hz with my nvidia card (assuming it isn't true 120hz, just simulated while watching tv). My 17" is running at 60hz.

-This could be a problem with the HD 2400 pro video card, I won't know until my new 5770 arrives, but I am posting here to see if anyone has had this issue with catalyst drivers.

-Remember using this hdtv as a display was nearly plug-and-play with my 8800gt (nvidia drivers).

Some more info:
Phillips 32" hdtv model number: 32PFL670FD/F7 (1920x1080 native)
The 17" runs at 1280x1024.
Drivers attempted: 10.3 beta, 10.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated =].

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~CS~ View Post
Open Catalyst Go to Display Options>Force TV Detect and Force Component detect if necessary >hit apply > go to Desktops and Displays hit detect displays .
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I have already tried that and the display still does not show up. The only thing it changes is 2 extra "disabled" displays show up, which are there whether or not my tv is plugged in to the video card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty85 View Post
Note, try turning off your TV and turning it back on when you have the input set up right on the HDTV, have an issue with that sometimes fixing things.
I've tried every combination of unplugging/replugging/restarting/etc I can think of. Its frustrating because as I was about to give up on it, it just worked one time (after plugging it back in), but was broken again after a restart.

When I do turn it back on, my PC does react to it, I hear that sound like a new device is plugged in, and my screen flashes off then on (on the main display 17").

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~CS~ View Post
Ok does the display show upon the bottom ?Click on little black arrow , then configure >HDTV support on top ,select proper resolution and add it .Go to desktop properties >force HDTV mode .
The only options I can see on the drop down list after clicking the black arrow, are "duplicate" and "extend", neither of which have any noticeable effect. Duplicate says it isn't possible with the current display set up.

Note: The actual display does not show up down there, only one that says "TV, disabled". Which showed up after I checked off force detect hdtv.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

see if you can change pixel type to RGB 4:4:4
If you mean through CCC, I doubt I can since I can't get to any of the config for the hdtv display. Unless you mean a setting elsewhere. The only config I can see in ccc is for the 17" I'm using which doesnt have any pixel type options.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

This is actually a pretty common issue, search on the official ATI forums for dozens of issues. Specific to phillips HDTV and HDMI
Yea, I'm hoping it's somehow an issue with the hdmi->dvi (I've seen someone mention the VGA port works, but I don't have a vga input on my tv or the right connector). Since this won't be a problem on the 5770 I ordered, as it has an hdmi port built in.

Seeing most of the posts on the amd forums from two or so years ago is a bit disappointing, if I am running into the same issue as they are, why isn't it fixed with newer drivers etc (nvidia drivers work fine with the tv, so why can't ati
)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty85
View Post

Erm, its a very widespread issue, check the forums. Do you have DVI to DVI cable?

The only inputs my tv has are hdmi or AV (which I dont have the proper connector for, to hook it up to my pc). I use an hdmi cable with a hdmi to dvi connector attached to the end, which goes into my video card. (The connector isn't dvi-i if that could be the problem).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty85
View Post

Hrm, not sure. Only last thing is seeif your TV has a USB port and try and update the firmware.

I updated it earlier this morning =] I'm gonna try to look at some solutions now that I found some posts on the amd site that sound similar, I'll post back here if I get it working.

EDIT: After trying every "fix" I could find in the 40ish pages of forum posts on the issue (or perhaps an outdated issue with the same symptoms). The reason I suspect it might be outdated is many people had this solved by the 9.5 hot fix drivers and are no longer having any issues. However, after sleeping on it, the problem (for the time being) has fixed itself. I booted up just now to a working display, but I am afraid to restart (last time it worked a restart broke it).

This issue seems to date back as far as early 2008, but like I said, I believe most of the instances of it have been fixed with updated drivers. Seems to be blind luck that mine began to work, hopefully I will get lucky with my 5770 (tigerdirect doesn't accept returns on online orders according to their site).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the problem is back =S, I decided to shut my monitor off when I went to sleep and, as suspected, I received no signal upon starting it back up. I do have some more information that may help someone with providing a solution though, when the monitor is powered off, it is detected by the catalyst control center. The second I turn it on, CCC no longer detects it and it goes to no signal. While it is off, and CCC is detecting it, I am able to change resolution/refresh rate settings, none of which cause it to remain detected once I turn it on. Anyone have any idea why my display is only detected when turned off?

UPDATE: Just hooked up my 5770 and got it working perfectly with my TV using the hdmi port on the card, as long as I use it (as opposed to using a hdmi->dvi connector, since my old card had no hdmi port). Seems the problem is with DVI only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
any resolution to this problem ever been discovered?? I am literally going gray over here. The most annoying is the fact that the TV is being detected no problem when it is off, then disappears into 'no signal' and everything is shaded out as soon as i turn it on. doesn't make any sense.. this is why i got out of the IT field.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
mkeygmer, I'm having a similar issue, and I have found several other threads on many different forums with people reporting having the exact same problem or similar, like you for example. If you can, please take a sec or two and go check my post out, see if you can somehow help me as I have had no replies yet. Also you may want to take a loot at the quote bellow from JosyNYC, it may clear things up a bit for you and me or make it even more confusing.. lol

"Motherboards with UEFI BIOS seem to have an issue correctly displaying the BIOS/UEFI setup and logo/POST screens when running Radeon 6xxx video cards to a 720p or 1080p display. The OS works fine (Windows 7) but boot screens and UEFI BIOSes can display garbled video, missing text, or just black."

For the time being I'm left with one option and that is to hook up a VGA monitor via a DVI-VGA adapter to an older monitor whenever I need to enter UEFI/BIOS as I do not have any other type of display that uses something different from HDMI (I use my HDTVs as monitors). Unfortunately, I have found no proper solutions whatsoever, just workarounds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thank you.
http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/106...on-6970-a.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.