Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Every time I try to open Catylist control center I get this error message.

Recent events:

I deleted the Windows prefetch file with the advice from someone on here to make Windows load faster.

I downloaded and installed the latest Catylist 6-12 from ATI, and I did use Driver cleaner pro to get rid of all previous files.

I have since then restored Windows to put the prefetch file back in place, and also have tried uninstalling and re-installing Catylist Crontol Center.

Nothing seems to work, every time I try to open the CCC all that happens is I get this error message?

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
987 Posts
What happened was, you installed new drivers, then did a restore. the problem is, it put some of the older driver stuff back on, and that's why you are having the problems.
Ati has a utility that uninstalls all it's software. I think it's built into the drivers now, but you might have to find it on it's site. What it does is just puts an entry into the add/remove program files, that says "uninstall all ati software". And that is pretty much what it does. It does try to untill Ati tool also, but i just tell it to cancel that, which it does, without stopping the other uninstalls.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Well, you really shouldn't clear the prefetch folder for making windows load faster, as the poster above said, it can cause some issues. There are much better ways of making windows load faster. You can disable/set to manual certain windows services. Here is a list of them that provides their function, as well as suggestions as to which kind of system will use the service(s):
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
Also, get rid of ZoneAlarm if you want some extra speed LOL, it can take up some resources.....just use the SP2 firewall that comes with windows.
The above suggestions should work, and if you really have to reinstall windows, then send a big FU to the guy that told you to clear your prefetch.
Also, disabling unneeded Windows services can free up around 50-100 Mb of RAM, depending on the PC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.