Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone else having this problem but i just setup my HTPC with motherboard from gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H

comes with onboard HDMI out which is suppose to carry audio have the realtek ati audio drivers installed but no sound, under the sound settings it says not plugged in even though its displaying on my TV and should be plugged in.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
restarted about 1000 times no luck

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Have you tried go to the Sound section in Control Panel, then set the Ati HDMI as the first/default device? Also try to disable the speakers in the Sound section too.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tried replugging my HDMI cable and it says hdmi to dvi display connection has been detected, this is probably the problem anyone know a fix.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
DVI to HDMI cable doesn't carry sound. Btw, have you tried what i said above? About disable the speakers in Sound in the Control Panel and set the Ati HDMI to first/default.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have disabled the onboard audio, so it can only use the ATI hdmi audio out and the motherboard i have is not using a dvi-hdmi adapter it has native hdmi out.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocnewb
View Post

DVI to HDMI cable doesn't carry sound. Btw, have you tried what i said above? About disable the speakers in Sound in the Control Panel and set the Ati HDMI to first/default.

Really? It doesn't? That explains all the issues I had with HDMI audio.

Now where can I find a good DVI--> HDMI convertor?

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
This is not an easy thing to do, run audio through a HDMI cable.
As above, you do need to set up AUDIO over HDMI in control panel.
How this varies with your board, I could not say.
I would look up your board support forum and see if there is any easy fix.
Generally, from personal experiences, Audio cards, Fibre optic out/in, its always a software issue, control panel as you can have 2 conflicting settings: this has always been a downfall, and I though MS was P&P??

Sorry for the long winded reply.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by riflepwnage
View Post

i have disabled the onboard audio, so it can only use the ATI hdmi audio out and the motherboard i have is not using a dvi-hdmi adapter it has native hdmi out.

I use the HDMI on my Sony Vaio which has the ATI 4650 GPU all the time. I don't need to disable the onboard audio, i only need to disable the speakers in Sound so the HDMI has first priority. Disable speakers in control panel is different with disable the onboard sound card tho.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anyone have a solution for having no audio?

·
Happy Dad
346 Posts
You don't need to buy anything. Going into your BIOS and change the output to HDMI rather than DVI. That fixed it for my motherboard, (same as yours).

• Rep+
Reactions: riflepwnage

·
Happy Dad
346 Posts
The reason you gotta change it is it's looking for either VGA/DVI out... obviously those do not have any audio in them, so you have to switch it to HDMI (not default) so it will process it via the HDMI port.

·
Happy Dad
346 Posts
Well, did that work?

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I first did hdmi I had to configure the sound settings on the TV as well.
Did you try playing a song or anything to make sure the audio level on the computer is showing sound coming through?

·
Happy Dad
346 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by riflepwnage View Post
comes with onboard HDMI out which is suppose to carry audio have the realtek ati audio drivers installed but no sound, under the sound settings it says not plugged in even though its displaying on my TV and should be plugged in.
This is how I know it's the issue. Go to BIOS, enable the HDMI.

southbridge: SPDIF Mode Setting --> [HDMI Output]

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Been reading here, and it sounds like the connection to the back of the video card, or onboard hdmi put, is a HDMI cable, BUT what is at the other end? Is it HDMI also? Or DVI?

One end: HDMI,

Other end: Dvi? Hdmi?

If it's DVI, ur boned till u get proper hdmi cable, no if and's or but's.

If it's hdmi... Try LITERALLY powering on the pc and the display with speakers WITHOUT THE HDMI CABLE***** (Take it completey out of both!)

Power them both down after a min or 2

Plug hdmi in REVERSE (no joke!!!!!)

Then turn on FIRST the tv/LCD with speakers

Then turn on PC

---

Go into CONTROL PANEL

go to SOUND

set DEFAULT DEVICE as "Digital Audio/HDMI"

Hope this helps.... Cause i've got a BenQ hd2200 LCD with VGA / DVI / HDMI inputs. (Using VGA from laptop, dvi from tower, hdmi from xbox, and sound works for xbox on hdmi to hdmi).

- Le_Loup

P.S. (During this screenshot, I was on ANALOG out with a 1/8th inch analog cable on my creative card, but laptop has hdmi also, pic for help)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts